Mrs Plastix's Airfix 1/400 Mary Rose - Finished and in the Gallery

Hi Mrs P,

I think you made great choices, and the most important is choosing something that really interests you.

As other fellow modellers said, starting a stash while still building your first kit certainly signals that joining BM is in order :)

Looking forward to your latest progress on Mary Rose and your future builds.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Ah, the bug has bitten

Do I see a resemblance between those two subjects?

Yes, they're both 1/35th plastic kits. ;)

Mrs P (you'll have to find an easier handle ;) ), the insanity starts here.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA <gasp for breath...> HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHhahahahahaaaerrrgh

• Like 1

Mrs stix. That mary rose is turning out rather well, better than my first model!

You really need your own account on here, everyone's welcome, we don't bite honest.

That triceratops looks like a cool alternative build. Also like the skoda, as it appeals to my interest in unusual and weird kits.

Keep up the good work, you seem to have a natural talent( in bucket loads) for modelling.

Matt

• Like 1

Still progressing very well indeed Mrs Stix,I used my Tamiya paints for my build I've not tried these pot paints but can imagine the gloss colours

would be a pain to use,still looks good to me though!

• Like 1

Mrs P again. Managed to get the decals finished, just in time for the end of the holidays. They were incredibly fiddly and I think are part of the reason that I picked the Triceratops for my next build. Hopefully I'll be able to complete Mary Rose by the deadline next weekend, just the masts to go... photos below.

Thanks for the interesting comments -

Plastic Bonsai, yup it is funny that I've started a little stash already.

Stew that was exactly why I chose those kits.

Jaime, thanks for your support, I really appreciate it as you say about getting something interesting to make.

Black Knight - As a 'well rounded' individual (perhaps a little too round - as is Mr P alas!) the curves did indeed appeal!

Rob - insanity is something I'm all too used to, so not a problem!

Matt - Glad you like my choices too, I think if I'm going to do a vehicle it is best to try something a bit 'different' so there are less out there to compare it with... its kind of organic - also it'll be a chance to learn new painting techniques - Mr P., as I said, is quite taken with it too and will guide me through it all.

Dazdot - I'm not planning on getting carried away, there's only so much space as you say, Mr P has a long head start on stashing! I figure that one to build and one in reserve should be enough...

Steve - thank you and yes the gloss white was/is awful. Mr P. says I can use his paints for the dino and Turtle and he's already said I can have one of his new sets of flat head brushes (....basically he doesn't want me to share his own set!)

First side complete with decals

26317814486_f8291c68f1_c.jpg

And all decals done and on the stand - port side

25750873183_ed9b91fbbb_c.jpg

Starboard side

26261241782_569b13fa13_c.jpg

• Like 9

Hi Mrs P,

That's a superb decal work you have there! The little ship looks fantastic :goodjob:

Looking forward to seeing the masts on.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Looking grand

How's your eyesight?

Have you got white and red paint?

See that round bit sticking out the front of the forecastle?

Thats the lollipop; it was painted with the Tudor Rose

Paint each side of it white with a little red dot in the middle

or don't

just a suggestion

• Like 1

Jaime: Thanks, I really value your support. Hopefully I will get the masts on before Sunday - will have to forgo my lie-in to get it finished!

John W: Thanks for the complement! it was a bit of a baptism of fire, but the decals were quite resilient, which was a blessing as I kept catching the previous ones as I was trying to get finished.

Black Knight: Thanks for the suggestion, I'd wondered why the shape was on the prow, but not on the diagrams and had read somewhere that it was meant to be there, but I hadn't realised it was a Tudor Rose. Unfortunately I'll have to wait until after the build ends before I can attempt to paint it as we can only use the paints provided with the kit and there's no red... I'm intending to try and do some rigging too later...

Rob G: as Dazdot says there is only just so much space!

And speaking of Dazdot - thanks for your encouragement and for doing such a good supportive job of hosting and managing the GB.

Cheers Steve - Mr P will get big headed if we're not careful!!

Thanks Philip - I saw that someone had built her just at the point that she was sinking and thought that would be a good way to present her, if it hadn't been a starter set GB.

Hi Stew, thanks for your support and I'm glad you're pleased with my progress so far!

• Like 2

beautifl work Mrs.P. I see the modelling madness has taken over your family by now :) So good luck and have a lot of fun :) also say hi to Mr.P (it feels like you two were some kind of 80´s celebrities... Mr. and Mrs. P´s! :)) )

• Like 1

Wolwe82 - Cheers, not quite sure how to respond to this! - But I did like the 80s!!! Mr P was very taken with the idea...

S5 modeller - Hi Matt. Thanks for the top marks - you know how tricky those decals can be. Hope to get the masts sorted on Saturday - life gets in the way too much to allow me to do anything during the week... I'm just looking forward to getting started on my Triceratops now.

Murdo - Many thanks Murdo, just hope I don't wreck it at the final stages (though it would be prototypical in some ways!) I think it might have been better if I'd been making it 'normally' with all the proper paints, brushes and special decal stuff, but in some ways it's more forgiving to do my first build this way...

S5 modeller - Hi Matt. Thanks for the top marks - you know how tricky those decals can be. Hope to get the masts sorted on Saturday - life gets in the way too much to allow me to do anything during the week... I'm just looking forward to getting started on my Triceratops now.

I know what you mean about life getting in the way. Not been able to work on mine all week. I'm also planning my next build. Can't wait to get cracking.

Looking forward to the erection of the masts.

Edited by S5 modeller

Well I've finally finished my first proper Airfix plastic kit. I'm quite glad I was restricted to just doing it OOB because otherwise I might have got carried away with ideas that were way beyond my capability... as it was I just had to follow the instructions and, with Mr P's guidance, complete it. I've learned a lot about painting techniques, decals and the most scary bit - cutting parts off the sprues without chopping the wrong bit.

Sticking parts together, especially with that strange smelling glue which seemed to develop spider web strands just when you really didn't need them, was interesting, but it was quite forgiving when I was less than accurate in locating the correct joins,

I was almost taken by surprise by how quickly it all came together, even though I spent ages touching up bits of the masts that I'd scuffed or the white bits where I'd got overenthusiastic with the gunmetal.

I only remembered the anchors and ropes late on, painting them was tricky but I kept the brush flat and almost a dry brush technique, which seems to have worked.

Apart from getting a bit mixed up with which mast and which sail went where, the actual completion was very rapid. The flags were interesting, folding them around the masts without getting them too mangled was quite difficult as they were sticky-back plastic.

I'd considered using a soft lead pencil to colour the anchor decorations on the base but decided to be brave and paint them holding the brush flat with just a smidgen of gunmetal.

Almost done

26457822625_0d2eeb67cf_c.jpg

25862786504_08a21154f4_c.jpg

And done

25862714474_81da8f4945_c.jpg

More pictures in the gallery - thank you to Mr P for taking the photos.

Many thanks to everyone for your support and encouragement. I'm surprised that so many people have taken the time to look at my build and am just glad that I was able to get it completed before the deadline.

Thanks to Darren for hosting this GB so well.

I'm now going to start my Triceratops!

Mrs PlaStix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 11

OMG!

Looking at the top job you've done, it almost defies belief that this is your first build - Maximum respect is due to you!

Mr & Mrs PlaStix could easily become 'first family' of modelling

We are not worthy!

Craig

• Like 1

My cap is doffed, Mrs Stix, you have produced a beauty for your first kit; well done B)

I always feel an enormous sense of relief when I have completed a kit I have entered for a group build too!

I'll look forward to your Triceratops.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1