Mrs Plastix's Airfix 1/400 Mary Rose - Finished and in the Gallery

'getting the lids off the paint pots...' Oh good, I thought it was just me.

And if you're going to keep going with this modelling thing, you'll have to learn that some things are much, much more important than mere domesticity, such as painting. And gluing. And decaling, and... ;)

The children have to learn to take care of themselves some time. You need to hold things in place while they set up.

• Like 1

Mrs P here again.

Hi Black Knight - Thanks for this - I've had a closer look at the hull painting instructions and have put a layer of gloss over some of the brown which I'd just slapped on before... hopefully it will help.

Hi Darren. Thank you for the encouragement.

Hi Sean, Rob and Hawker's Hound. I'm afraid I've not got sufficiently obsessed to the point of neglecting food prep, etc. quite yet. I enjoy eating tooo much!

Hi Wolwe82 - Thanks for your kind welcome, it's good fun so far!

Today after yet more hull painting, I finally got around to doing some actual clipping, filing and glueing - I actually feel like I'm starting to be a modeler now! Okay, so it was only the base, but it felt good to get the chance to build something at last. I managed to make one error in my eagerness, I clipped too much off the edge of the cross bar but it still fitted on okay though so I'll have to be more cautious in future. Just the one photo-

25514147163_619471bfdb_c.jpg

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 6

Those sails are looking really good Mrs. PlaStix! I should know as I used to make them for competition/leisure boats. The base looks a lot better than I got for my ship (I forget what it was now). Keep the good work up :)

I wouldn't worry about the decals too much, I just checked my Tiger Moth and even after nearly two weeks the decals haven't silvered and that was straight on the yellow gloop they gave you. Then again I did stick them in boiling water and brushed over them with said water a few times...

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

Those sails are looking really good Mrs. PlaStix! I should know as I used to make them for competition/leisure boats. The base looks a lot better than I got for my ship (I forget what it was now). Keep the good work up :)

I wouldn't worry about the decals too much, I just checked my Tiger Moth and even after nearly two weeks the decals haven't silvered and that was straight on the yellow gloop they gave you. Then again I did stick them in boiling water and brushed over them with said water a few times...

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Thanks for your kind comments about my sails, I worried about the original plastic showing through, now I'm just about happy with them.

I will bear in mind your hints for doing the decals, I'll do a practice one on the base now I've just about finished painting it.

Great work so far,another kit that suits the limited use of accessories,time Mrs P became a full member me thinks! :winkgrin:

Thanks Steve, but it's early days and I'll see how this goes first! I've a lot to learn...

Today I finally got chance to do a little bit more, unfortunately, unlike Mr P, I have lots of other things to do during 'holidays'...

It was Mr P's idea for me to practice dry brushing by detailing the anti boarding netting on the deck - The very thing that caused so many casualties when she sank... so I used the mast colour to highlight the mesh.

25912258530_8d7ccafec8_c.jpg

26159173906_707fe32f6a_c.jpg

I've done more work on the base too, detailing the rope work on the edges and cannon balls in each corner although the photo only shows the base before I painted the detailing.

25580359764_7ab5537ab7_c.jpg

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 7

Hi, Mrs PlaStix here again. I've been working away over the weekend with Mr P finishing off one of his ongoing GBs and starting another. I haven't really looked around the site much before, usually only being shown stuff that Mr P rates either for build quality, photography, etc. So I have had a bit of a browse and am hugely impressed with the wide range of subject matter, etc.

I thought my Mary Rose was small, but Norwegian Wood's Revell 1/1200 Scharnhorst is so unbelievably tiny, I think you would need microscopically teeny weeny brushes to paint it!

Thanks Dazdot for your remarks about my brush work, I've got a very good, and strict, teacher! Mr P is a stickler for me doing things properly, even though I'm not happy with the white on the hull, which has received a bit of a tidy up...

26206461025_0995a47fd1_c.jpg

I've snipped out and filed down the sails, I've got to touch them up now., but I think they are finally just about the right colour and texture.

26113972242_74cfbbcabb_c.jpg

26140130181_5df7c48164_c.jpg

I've actually completed a major part of the kit!!!:

25601657434_f646b9b90b_c.jpg

Okay, so it's only the base, but I've actually done it... I had my first experience of putting decals on, I always knew them as transfers. Mr P demonstrated his technique on one of his builds first and then I had a go and it wasn't as difficult as I'd feared, but looking at the size of some of the others, I'm not getting too confident! So I've finished something - well, I would like to do something to the anchors, but I need to practice my dry brushing more first.

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 5

Hi Mrs P,

I've just found your thread and read it through. I'm very impressed by the smooth finish of your paint job! It seems to run in the family :)

I visited the original ship in 1994 and was very impressed by the sight and the story of its recovery. On the other hand, I started my modelling days as a kid building Airfix's classic sailing ships (my first was Wasa, followed by Victory), so this is a really interesting thread.

Looking forward to seeing it finished! :goodjob:

Cheers

Jaime

PS: I agree with others that you should create your own profile

thats looking great, realy love the look of the sails and its colours/texturing! The base looks amazing as well, i see Mr.Stix has some big competition growing up at home! ;) realy it is looking nice, cheers :thumbsup:

Mrs P here again, thanks for all your kind remarks, I'm useless at accepting compliments!

stevej60 - The paint is pretty weird, but the gloss white is truly bizarre! I've had a crafty peek at your Mary Rose, it's lovely - I take it from the photos that you didn't stick to the paints provided - Any tips ?

Black Knight - So far so good!

dazdot - It's a bit more tricky knowing it's being 'watched'! Still everyone is being more than kind

Stew Dapple - Thanks for reading it all and thanks for the comment, too!

jrlx - Hi Jaime, many thanks for your comments, Mr P seems pleasantly surprised with my progress, and I don't want to let him down.

- We might actually get to go to Portsmouth this summer, so we can see her and the Victory too. My Dad once built one of the old sailing ship kits, but I can't recall which one, it was quite big though - I think that was partly why I wanted to do a ship for my first 'proper' kit.

brianthemodeller - Thanks, hope your daughter gets around to completing it, hopefully using better paints!

Wolwe82 - Hi and thanks for your remarks, I'm just about satisfied with the sails considering the limitations of the colour, all those thin layers seem to have worked, Mr Stix's insistence on building the layers gradually seemed really annoying as I just wanted to splob the paint on neat, but watering it down does work out okay in the end.

Hopefully this weekend will see more progress, as long as the house tasks don't take over........... :winkgrin:
  • Like 1

Mrs P again. Today has been really scary, I've had a few very close calls with the snippers - being a leftie I'm a little cack handed at the best of times, in fact the family won't let me use sharp implements normally! Suffice to say I've cut a bit too much off again, fortunately the part concerned is hidden away from view, but it nearly gave me heart failure. Mr P just said not to worry, that's why they provide glue!

26199446872_2e8ffce9e9_c.jpg

Things are moving on quite fast now, my previous lack of confidence about putting on decals has been justified - They have proved to be extremely annoying, but cutting some of them in half has helped save my sanity, I was managing to get one side to fit, whilst pulling the other off...

26265918456_f24636c71a_c.jpg

26199436222_3b48be95bc_c.jpg

Since these photos were taken I've been gluing the hull together, the instructions leave something to be desired, I'm glad Mr P is around to double check things... but it seems to be fitting together quite well, I've tidied up some of the paint before gluing, as I realised bits that I thought would be covered weren't.

Mr P is not pushing me into becoming a modeler, but he has tentatively inquired as to what I might like to make next if Mary Rose works out satisfactorily... I think it might be interesting to make something a bit different - any suggestions?

• Like 6

Very good progress, Mrs P!

I'm genuinely impressed by the tydiness of your work and the superb paint finish. :goodjob:

Regarding a future project, why not trying Airfix's Spitfire Mk I? It's cheap, simple and it's a beautiful aircraft. Also, you have a Spitfire expert in-house to help :)

Anyway, it was my first kit when I decided to return to modelling and was a great test bed for modelling techniques. My only real problem with the kit itself was the canopy, which didn't fit very well but that could have been my fault. You can see the results here, if you're interested.

Hope this can provide some inspiration.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Just found the thread Mrs P and want to add to the others, you are doing a bang up job especially doing a sailing ship for your first.

I was lucky to finally make it back to England in 2013. Got to visit a few of the Aunts, Uncles and Cousins (me Mum is British) some for the first time as the last time I was there was the early 60s. Also tagged onto the IPMS tour that ended at Scale Modelworld and part of the tour was Plymouth so got to see Victory and the Mary Rose. Always have been a bit of a historian so very cool.

For your next build pick something you have an interest in, plane, tank, car, figure, etc and just have fun with it. My ex never had any interest in my builds but let me have the time to work on them. All the kids gave it a shot but none of them got the bug to keep going. Now is just me at home so I can do what I want when I want and still have a hard time staying motivated to finish a kit (but getting more done than in the past). As long as you are having fun that is what it is all about.

• Like 1

This is looking pretty darn good, Mrs P. Certainly it will be nothing to be ashamed of.

I'm a leftie too, so I feel your pain - nothing fits quite right, does it? Scissors, tin openers, power tools, rifles, shoulder-launched SAMs...

And I'll second the 1/72 Airfix Spitfire Mk.1a - lovely little kit, and if you apply your evident skill and attention to it as well as using pukka model paints and all the tools, you'll have something very nice indeed. I did a Starter Set of it OOTB a while back, and it went together well. If you're extremely bored, you can see it here. It's not expensive, either.

Come on in and join the madness - you wouldn't be the only modelmaking lady in here. Although Stix may have to get used to making more trips down the chippie while you build. :D

• Like 1

Mrs P yet again. I had a trip out yesterday with Mr PlaStix to Birmingham. We go regularly, normally so Mr P can visit the Model shops and I can see if there's any interesting trinkets in my favourite shop to add to my collection. Well this visit was just a bit different in that he returned with one model kit and I ended up with two (plus a top, a bag and a brooch - but they were all reduced in the sales...)

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Jaime and Rob - I looked at your Spitfires, which were both so different and awesome. Unfortunately planes are really the kind of thing Mr P does and I decided to follow Philip's advice - I went for something a little less obvious and hopefully fun too: a Tamiya Triceratops Eurecephalus.

26265641271_334d903b0b_c.jpg

Mr P had mentioned that there were dinosaur kits around and I just happened across some near the doorway of one of Mr P's regular haunts. There were several other species but I remembered the scene in Jurassic Park with the sick Triceratops and so that's the one I got.

We then went on to other shops and while Mr P was browsing assorted tanks I caught sight of the word 'Skoda' on a rather weird kit - now my Dad had several Skoda cars and so it was something I wanted to check out. It was the most bizarre vehicle that I'd ever seen reminded me of something like a thirties Batman-type 'pushmepullyou' and I decided I'd like to make it.

26265638981_2101775e9a_c.jpg

Mr P was also very taken with it, but he did say painting it could be a problem - something of an understatement, unless I go for the German version, but that is a project for the future after I've practiced my painting on the dino.

- When we got home we found that Mike had done a review of the same kit last year.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234986116-skoda-pa-ii-turtle-135/

Today I've finally glued the hull together and started to apply the rest of the decals - I was starting to gain confidence until Mr P kindly pointed out that the one that I wrestled with for 10 minutes was actually the wrong way round... fortunately it hadn't stuck and I was able to sort it out without too much unladylike language!

Photos tomorrow.

I think I'm going to have to join Britmodeller , if you'll have me to help give me the motivation to keep going especially now I've got 2 more kits!

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 6

I think I'm going to have to join Britmodeller , if you'll have me to help give me the motivation to keep going especially now I've got 2 more kits!

I should think so.

Two more kits and the first one not finished.

Ladies and Gentlemen.

The stash has started!

• Like 4

Interesting choices there Mrs Stix B)

I think the dinosaur will be good fun to paint and as for the Skoda, it looks like it's from some Central European Flash Gordon rip-off - and I mean that in a totally good way! I look forward to seeing how they both progress.

I'm sure you'll have no problems joining Britmodeller; they let the rest of us in so they are clearly not very fussy :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1