Airfix 1/72 Hurricane

Step

Picked this up yesterday fro ma local store. went in staring wide eyed at the options plumped for the hurricane, it was that or the HMS Belfast gift set. Maybe if I fancy another ;)

Anywho photos!

Box art

20160321_080543_zpsljmx7ki4.jpg

Sprues, goo, paints an hairy stick

20160321_081053_zpsgbnywo6z.jpg

Tools, Cant find the pegs at the moment I think they are busy on something else.

Now ive included cocktail sticks, not planning to start this till tonight anyway but what are the views on these? Was looking to use them to help mixing paint which has seperated and applying the glue. Like I said ill await a yes or no on that though.

20160321_082925_zpsj56uwaev.jpg

Toohtpicks are good for cement application, paint mixing (along with a snapped off bit of sprue) but essential for general fiddling around with as you ponder how to make this work with what you've got! :confused:

I'm not sure what the stop-watch is for? :unsure:

Hi Step. Just building one of these over in the Hurricane STGB - seems to go together reasonably well although there are a few places where the fit is a bit off. I will follow your build with interest.

:popcorn:

Yeah finding that doing a bit of dry fit on the wings, many clothes pegs!

Started this evening, forgot just how strong that glue smells! oooh memories of getting stringy fingers etc.

Anyway. started with the undercarridge bay little fiddly but its in an painted. Paint was a surprise started off a deep pea green then after some swift mixing came out pretty much bang on, taking its time to dry mind.

20160321_191713_zpsqwmz0dvy.jpg

So, things escalated last night, I got bored with nothing to do so cracked on.

Paint, was a little thick...

20160321_205422_zpsfijcwyd3.jpg

Sorted the decal for the dials

20160321_223908_zps2n6bbads.jpg

All buttoned up now ive gone a bit glue heavy so i can sand it down a bit ;)

20160321_230328_zpsbhgkcpdh.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks guys still class myself as a novice in terms of model making, quite pleased with how its gone together I gave the wings all round a rub with the sanding stick on all the edges. Main bit thats not lined up is the wings leading edge to the fuselage, one side is fine the other is jutting out a bit, but hey its all good.

Did the Beige green underside. Paints weird feels rough and rubbery to the touch, hoping the rubbery nature goes at it drys through. Bit of overlap ill touch up tomorrow. I left the middle of the fuselage so I could hold it. I've tried to keep close to the box art though I know I'm not 100%

Underside, I may give it another going over

20160322_223311_zps4ndfui61.jpg

Top partially done

20160322_223244_zps2pzhuqfq.jpg

• Like 2

Claiming dibs on the first paint spill, hit the pot with the wing while doing some brown work.

Rescued a fair amount probably full of crap of the cutting board no doubt

20160323_195606_zpsqdikq0p6.jpg

I spilt a brand new pot of Mr Gunze extra thin before that stuff does horrible things to cutting mats I found out.

An thanks S5 an everyone else regarding they painting it's taking a fair bit of patience I've had to snip out loose strands on the brush a few times.

Tip guys on the paint, if you can heat it up a bit it mixes much more easily I found.

• Like 1

Bowl of warm water? If so good idea. How long do you simmer it for?

Yes warm water will do, only needs a few minutes, just make sure the lids on firmly though, an warm rather than hot water, the paint pot goes soft otherwise.

Curse those tiny pots! They're also very top-heavy with the lid sitting open. I've been petrified of spilling one.

Cut the hinge - overall, a far less petrifying experience!

Craig

• 3 weeks later...

Right im back, been away in Frenchland doing a cycling event on cobbles as you do, I'm generally broken but I'll get this done!

Took a quick snap of it as it is. Not a huge amount left to do.

Undercarridge

Decals

Tidy up paint on leading wing edges

Canopy

Rudder control

20160411_234011_zpsuyv8rz3o.jpg

• Like 1