CARRY ON REGARDLESS. EDITED THANKS TO PHOTOBUCKET

With the disgraceful actions of Photobucket, I had thought I'd lost all of my photos for this RFI and the accompanying WIP. However, I have found my old and damaged memory stick and managed to get it working, and luckily, I had saved most, if not all of my photos. So, I will replace the photobucket pics and re-post them using HostingPics instead. Please be patient as this will take some time! As a bonus, I will be posting extra photos!

FOR THE TIME BEING THE WIP REMAINS WITHOUT PHOTOS, BUT REST ASSURED I WILL BE REPLACING THEM.

THANK YOU,

Badder.

So here's my diorama 'Carry on regardless' featuring a Tamiya 1/35th MkII Universal Carrier (forced reconnaissance)

For 'forced reconnaissance' read 'reconnaissance in force' and write a letter of complaint to Tamiya's translator.

Here's the WIP

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234995918-carry-on-regardless-how-to-make-realistic-trees-page45/

I've really enjoyed making this, my 3rd diorama since returning to modelling. Everything you see is scratch-built except for the carrier and it's figures. I am particularly pleased with the scratch trees, the method of construction being one of my own devising. However, I have subsequently refined the method and will employ it in future dioramas.

Materials used:

Base:

'Beech effect shelf', from The Range.

A sheet of wire mesh.

Polyfilla.

Polycell Quick Set Cement.

Groundwork and details:

Woodland Scenics Field Grass (med green)

Woodland Scenics Realistic Water.

Woodland Scenics Underbrush.

Corrugated cardboard.

Wooden cocktail sticks.

Coffee stirring sticks.

Cocktail sticks.

Plasticard.

Astroturf.

Tasma Products grass matt.

Cotton wool balls.

Winsor and Newton's Galeria matt and gloss acrylic varnishes.

Humbrol enamels.

Humbrol Weathering Powders, rust, dark earth, zinc oxide green.

Tamiya acrylics.

Grip CA glues, thin, medium and thick.

PVA glue.

Bart's Chervil, Basil and Dil tops.

For the scratchbuilt trees:

Twigs.

Maxima nylon monofilament fishing line in 3lb, 4lb and 6lb breaking strains. .

Drennan Feeder Line (braided) 6lb breaking strain.

Garden twine with wire core and paper outer.

Green Putty.

The scene....

France 1944. Using a walled bank and trees as cover, a Universal Carrier rushes noisily across marshy land, hoping to draw fire from the enemy, thus to locate the position of his armour and artillery.

Sgt Sid James cackles as he lets rip with his Bren Gun, aiming first at the warning sign and then at distant hedgerows and woods, trying to provoke a response.

Lots more to follow.

Thanks for looking,

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 16

These photos are perhaps not the best I have, but I will try to find the high quality ones I posted previously, plus extras. Obviously, this will take some time, so as I said before, please be patient.

I may replace some of these replaced photos as I find better ones, and then even those replacements may be replaced.:D

I was very pleased with the 'wake' and splashes behind the Carrier. The method I discovered was to dribble medium CA into the freshly poured Realistic Water and then tease the CA with a toothpick. The CA would turn into a gooey frothy gel, which could be lifted up and stretched into position to form the wake. In later photos splashes are visible under the rear of the carrier where 'water' is lifted up by the movement of the tracks. These splashes were made from torn polythene, positioned in the Realistic Water whilst it was still liquid.

950389DSC010712.jpg

385904cor8.jpg

548573DSC01074.jpg

241257cor.jpg

149353cor2.jpg

Below... the CA/Realistic Water 'wake' and the polythene splashes.

473063cor3.jpg

Yeah, I know the tarp is awful. I may replace it if I can break the CA bond.

136063cor9.jpg

500550cor4.jpg

360414cor5.jpg

TFL,

Badder.

Edited by Badder
  • Like 16

DSC01079_zpsp6jmw6op.jpg

My photobucket is full. I will have to delete some old posts to do any more! lol.

EDIT 2ND JULY 2017.

Oi, photobucket. Go fill yourself.

639171cor11.jpg

137791cor20.jpg

542358cor14.jpg

465785cor17.jpg

427662cor18.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 11

Sublime water effects, did you use scenic water or the like, or good old fashion two part epoxy?

Thanks Eddie.

Water is Woodland Scenics 'Realistic Water'. Simple to use, but costs 20 quid a bottle. I used half on this diorama. Poured 5 layers each about 1.5mm deep, allowing around 24hrs to cure between pourings. Added details to stream bed before first pour, then coloured with brown acrylic to dirty up the downstream area.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 3

On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 3:44 PM, Vince1159 said:

Love it,Sid James the legend..Looks fantastic Badder talking of Sid James a dio from 'Carry on Cabby' would be a nice project :goodjob: ....

Thanks Vince.

Not sure about the carry on cabby dio to be honest! :banghead:

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2

For information on tree and stream construction, there's a full and detailed WIP of the same name in the....er.... WIP section.

Thanks for looking, thanks for all the positive comments here and in the WIP, and now I'm off to re-work my Somewhere near Villers Bocage diorama!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

I don't know,all you have to do is build a 37 Austin,a 54 FX 3 a couple of Morris Eights and then build the garage (no problem lol)....

Not sure if I have enough Milliput to model Hattie Jakes......

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

The detailing on the bottom right hand corner is fantastic Badder....

Thanks again Vince.

Btw, I've revised my tree-making method. While making a small bush I experimented with heating up the fishing line over a candle. It went all wavy and swirly and shaped a lot more like a real twig. Bunches of them looked even better. So I will employ that method with future trees. The first will be a replacement for the one in the Somewhere near Villers Bocage diorama.

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2

Excellent diorama, the detail you've managed to capture is extraordinary,

Sean

Thanks Sean.

Not sure about 'extraordinary'. It's just a case of building up layer by layer for the groundwork then adding a few 'detail pieces' like the walls, trees, fence posts and sign, and the bridge, oh and corrugated iron, and the reed mace, and the stream, and puddles and... oh okay then it's extraordinary. :winkgrin:

Thanks again,

Badder

• Like 2

Trunk covered in Green Putty and worked with a scalpel. Brown washes applied then CA dribbled over and sprinkled with Chervil. Roots of tree made from the roots of a tree. Moss on wall created by dabbing green 'Grit Paint' then applying washes.

DSC00971_zpsbqelqvug.jpg

TFL

Badder

• Like 5