Airfix 1/72 Tiger Moth Starter Set - Finished

Dazzio

Hello Everyone,

Welcome to my build, I have decided to go with this one as I got it in the Black Friday deals a while ago, typically I have gone with something yellow... I hate painting yellow. I'm an imbecile... :P

While I am waiting for the sprues to dry after their wash I will post this little lot.

25271960124_3e8cef4d8a_b.jpg

Thought I would cheat by getting an aircraft that doesn't have any canopies ;) That yelloe looks like it will be fun to paint.

25275987383_57bfea6c61_b.jpg

Yay! All Yellow!

25604125870_4488e1c379_b.jpg

I am really impressed with this sprues. Think I will leave the pilots out tho.

25904706945_e2ce901076_b.jpg

The interior is really good, think I will have the cockpits open to show off that detail.

25271951674_03c73a17e4_b.jpg

My extensive tools for this show.

25878840956_87ed9e91fe_b.jpg

This came with the order... I haven't read that it can't be used :P

25878849086_7340a8788b_b.jpg

Do I get extra points for stealing my girlfriends sister lap tray with SpongeBob on it?...

25809726281_e08c9f47cf_b.jpg

As an extra reminder of being a kid making models in the afternoon. I have a stolen jar from my parents! Water is from my place tho.

I think this will be good for me, I have been wondering how well I can make a model in my flat without the "toys" I have in my shed. This will be a good indicator, back to basics kinda thing. Even my girlfriend is interested in this, altho she won't join in. She'll be supervising me.

More to follow soon...

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Edited by Dazzio
  • Like 2

I wish you luck with that yellow. I looked at this one but the colour put me off.

Thanks Stosh, I think I will need it! We'll see how well it goes when it comes to slapping it on. :)

Done some work on this. Heres the cockpit before I seal it up. :)

25789531252_709a925c1e_b.jpg

The ribbing was painted in metalic, then given a wash of black paint using the black in the set and water from the brush cleaning pot. Looks better in the plastic tbh. Well hopefully the glue has set now, I forgot how long poly cement takes to cure and the fumes!!

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Perhaps it was the fumes that got us addicted to model making

I reckon so Mjwomack, I have no sense of smell or taste but, bloody hell... that stuff gets me really light headed :Plol

Done some more work on the Moth...

25889700946_72de173dd1_b.jpg

The cockpit before she gets all buttoned up... I would've probably finished if I wasnt waiting so long for the glue. Already got a finger print on it....

25820646571_b63ea56759_b.jpg

All buttoned up and the main wing and tailplane both on. Not entirely sure if the cowling is correct... but meh. I passed the knife over the horizitonal stabilizers a few times to make them droop. I have seen this happen in some pictures I have got.

Still working on it...

Kind Regards,

Dazz

This is where I am upto at close of play today. The yellow painted on better than I thought it would, however it dries way to quickly and hasn't spread evenly. Oh well...

25892313096_eac58cd506_b.jpg

I might actually get this finished later on Sunday... that'll be a first time I have done a model that quickly in years... might...

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

Cheers guys, I only got so much done as my girlfriend was watching her weird TV shows yesterday. I was meant to pop down to the Southern Expo to, but my car failed it's MOT and it ran out Friday... Typically... Maybe next year...

No pictures this time, but I've painted a second coat of yellow. The paint is very bitty and gritty and extremely matt. So the decals will silver like mad. Think I'll have to cut the actual decals out.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Dazz, I found the paint in my Spitfire Mk.1 kit to be gritty as well. The best cure seems to be thinning it, then not brushing it around too much. And give it a rub back with a bit of old T-shirt in between coats, to help settle the surface down.

No guarantees, but it made a difference to my Spitfire.

• Like 2

Thank you for the tip Rob, unfortunately I had started to decal the Moth before I read this... oh well. Live and learn huh? Well I am just waiting for the black to dry and then I can fit the prop and the wheels. AS of ten minutes ago, this is where I am...

25815493912_652fa27471_b.jpg

I am really impressed with the decals, they've been on about 4hours now and I've had no silvering what-so-ever... impressive stuff.

Hopefully this will be done soon.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 3

Cheers guys :) Well I worked some more on it while watching Cloverfield... I don't remember it being so short in length. The struts for the wings are a little weak when you take them off the sprues. One of them has snapped and I don't wanna break the others by fixing it. Pictures...

25916547536_b61c9522f3_b.jpg

25942428075_007c00f2bf_b.jpg

25309756294_5cd84d86c8_b.jpg

25313694393_e07bfbf088_b.jpg

25916521456_4858d9bf7f_b.jpg

Just noticed that I am missing the windshield... guess I am not finished yet :P

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 3

Finally finished! I got the windshields on, dropped the front one two times and denied the carpet monster twice! Bwah Ah Ha Ha Ha Ha! :devil: I would recommend following the instructions as putting the windshield on with the top wing on is a right bugger!

25848296391_fd3de4faff_b.jpg

25642670480_740a6d61dd_b.jpg

Its amazing how crap the camera makes the paint work look... it is I do admit... oh well... shes finished now. Wow first model this year completed, first model in my new flat finished and first model bi-plane in decades... think it's the first in the GB too... yay go me! :P

Hope you enjoyed the ride, however brief it was :P

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 4

Awesome job mate.

But beware hubris. You may have won this round with the windscreen, but the monster will exact a steep toll at another time.

Comforting thought, innit?

Thank you Rob, I am happy with what I have done. It has renewed my modelling mojo as well. :)

The carpet monster always wins, what makes it worse is the fact I usually make 1/144 things... I'm so screwed... :P

Simply stunning! And to think you took time out to arm wrestle the carpet monster twice

Thank you Mjwomack for the kind words. I did have a cunning plan to find my bits tho, a security torch. Made it quite easy actually :)

Nice work dazz the first in the gallery and looks the biz well done

Cheers Daz, think this is the first time I have been first in anything... will never happen again! :banghead:

I really like this colorful airplane model. :)

I wish there was a really good 1:48 kit of this airplane. Every time I've seen this model, I get the impression that the kits are really old.

I'm surprised there isn't nice kits of the Moth in 1/48. It was a bugger to build in 1/72 tho. If I was to build this model again I would have to find a reinforce the structs, oh yeah and the cables as well. I can not remember how old these kits are, but it was out in the last few years tho. It's newer than the Airfix Spitfire :)

Thank you for the kind words all

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

You have done a fantastic job with your Tiger Moth and quickly too! I am really impressed that you got that yellow to behave! Very well done. :goodjob:

• Like 1

You have done a fantastic job with your Tiger Moth and quickly too! I am really impressed that you got that yellow to behave! Very well done. :goodjob:

Thank you Stix, the paint isn't actually that bad and covers really well. I wanna see if I can feed it through an airbrush, altho with the "bits" it has I doubt it. I might even pick up a tub of the acrylic paint as well.

No one is more impressed with the time scale than I! It will never happen again tho. :P

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1