Airfix Mitsubishi Zero

Dave_R

Hi all

I'd like to join in on this with an Airfix Mitsubishi Zero.

The Box...

_MG_0773_zpsbkroc0rp.jpg

_MG_0774_zps532jepvg.jpg

The sprues...

_MG_0770_zpshuswmlvn.jpg

...and the tools.

_MG_0777_zps8auuwggb.jpg

This is nice looking little kit that comes with Humbrol 90 Sky, 85 Black, 11 Silver and 29 Earth and a No. 2 brush. I'm more or less ignorant when it comes to Japanese aircraft, on the face of it that quite a limited choice of paint, but we'll see how it goes.

In the spirit of the starter kit I'm going try to finish this by Sunday evening or sooner, and I'll be working on the coffee table in front of the TV. Back in 1974 when I was ten I would have been watching Saturday morning TV classics such as Stingray, Captain Scarlett, The Flashing Blade and The Virginian. In 2016 I'll mostly be watching Eurosport with Womens Biathlon this morning and nearly three hours of Milan-San Remo cycle race this afternoon and catching-up on with Sky Plus recordings inbetween - some things do change.

I'll post a quick update in a few hours time.

Dave.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Quick update.

Fuselage halves.

_MG_0780_zpshtkhgg8q.jpg

Cockpit.

_MG_0781_zpsnxdrsate.jpg

_MG_0782_zpsgfldpia2.jpg

The limited research I've done suggests that the interior colour of Japanese aircraft was a kind of grey/green a bit similar to British Interior Green. There is no kind of green paint included in the kit, so I added some of the black to the Sky - and ended up with a close match to RLM02. Oh well, maybe Mitsubishi got a supply from the Reich Air Ministry to evaluate. With the canopy on it will hardly be visible anyway.

Next, close-up the fuselage, on with the wings and tail and fill any gaps with tube glue and sand it down.

Dave.

• Like 2

Hi all,

Thanks for the comments, here's the state of play now......

_MG_0783_zpsasvek8rf.jpg

_MG_0785_zpsjjzmkrxi.jpg

It's little bit hard to see but I've used the tube glue as a filler substitute. It should be OK, it ought to bond well to the plastic and be easy to sand down. I'm giving it a couple of hours now to harden and in the meantime I'll make a start on the undercarriage and prop.

Dave.

P. S. How unforgiving are close-up photos! my poor old eyes never spotted that dodgy trailing edge.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Here's a quick update.

_MG_0786_zpsdhjpvgcs.jpg

Everything needs at least a second coat of paint. It brushed on fairly well, I added a few drops of the black and earth to the Sky to hopefully make it a little more like IJN Grey and thinned it a bit with water.

At the moment that greenhouse canopy looks like the biggest problem - I have a cunning plan for dealing with it, but I'm not certain it will work.

I'm taking a break now for a bit of lunch, and then back to it later this afternoon.

Dave.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Well, I can't spend anymore time on this today, (domestic stuff to do) and it's not quite finished.

_MG_0789_zps5ifkemci.jpg

_MG_0790_zpsj9ld3uuz.jpg

The canopy is the biggest thing left to do. I tried to do the greenhouse by deliberately over-painting the frame and then removing the excess with a toothpick when dry. It's been partially successful, but I need to finish the left side and then go back and re-do the dodgy bits. Easily the worst of it so far has been the decals, they kept curling up at the edges, zero settling into the panel lines and of course lots of silvering. The decals themselves are quite thick and not up to Airfix's best standards of decal.

I'll finish this off by next weekend and get some photos done.

Dave.

• Like 4

Nice work on the paint Dave :thumbsup2: , the blotchy, stained finish, deliberate, I'm sure (and I'm not being sarcastic) suits that colour particularly well.

I'm putting off the decaling as long as possible in the hope that buffing with a cloth or old toothbrush, once its hardened, will put enough of a shine on it to give them a fighting chance

Cheers

Craig

Hi Craig,

The blotchiness was more fortuitous than deliberate. The paint wasn't fully dry and the water from applying the decals seemed to cause the black paint to separate a bit from the Sky paint and give that stained look. To me it looks a bit like it might have spent some time on the deck of a carrier getting soaked in salt water, so lucky really.

Dave.

• Like 1

Looks nice, Dave!

I like the cockpit and the blending of colours. How was the fit of the kit?

I also like how Airfix have included self-weathering paints in their starter kits.

David

Hi All,

I'm calling it done now.

_MG_0796_zpshckksibz.jpg

_MG_0795_zpsnvv0hnhu.jpg

I've touched up the canopy frame, added a couple decals, added the aerial and pitot and tried and failed to add some convincing stains.

Gallery pictures to follow.

Dave.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...