Airfix PRXIX spitfire

scoobyboothy

Bought these goodys for my next project and plan to do the BBMF PRU blue PM631 one.

DSC_3362_zpsqrncamu4.jpg

I I know I can get generic decals to use, but what's the best paint that's closest to that colour and what are the measurements for the stripes in 1/72 scale

Bought these goodys for my next project and plan to do the BBMF PRU blue PM631 one.

I I know I can get generic decals to use, but what's the best paint that's closest to that colour and what are the measurements for the stripes in 1/72 scale

Xtracrylix/xtracolour for the blue, stripes are 18 inch in real measurements so a quater of an inch in scale terms or 6.35mm

the lower colour on the box art is PRU Blue, not sure what Humbrol colour Airfix recommend, but maybe easier to get than the Xtracolour. Xtracrylix is tricky to brush.

This thread is well worth a read

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234982693-calling-all-brushhairystick-painters/

Also what colour is in the undercarriage bay

the outer section for the wheel is PRU Blue, the inner leg section is more likely aluminium paint.

on this page if you scroll down

http://spitfiresite.com/category/50-reference

there is a detailed walkaround of a Swedish XIX which may help.

cheers

T

• Like 1

I had a go at representing PM631 from this kit as well a few years ago. From what I can recall the aircraft was painted with a Land Rover blue that is lighter that proper PRU Blue, I can't recall the exact mix I used but sure it was based on Hu230 with some light grey added, also everything is the overall blue colour apart from the inner section of the wheel bay that is interior green. If I can find the thread I posted I'll fire up a link later :)

I've got some tamiya xf18 on its way and I have a pot of hu230 so far lol.

So inside the undercarriage bay is the same as the cockpit interior on this particular aircraft?

Not if you're painting it as it is now, the undercarriage bay is aluminium on the BBMF Spitfires.

Edited by Tired&Emotional

I had a go at representing PM631 from this kit as well a few years ago. From what I can recall the aircraft was painted with a Land Rover blue that is lighter that proper PRU Blue, I can't recall the exact mix I used but sure it was based on Hu230 with some light grey added, also everything is the overall blue colour apart from the inner section of the wheel bay that is interior green. If I can find the thread I posted I'll fire up a link later :)

Could it be simply 'RAF blue' as used on vehicles and other items of RAF property?

I was going to say "no, it was actually done in Land Rover Blue Grey with other stuff mixed in to approximate what someone thought it should look like" but actually I think that was PS853.

Edited by Work In Progress