Spitfire Mk.IXe 312 (Czechoslovakia) squadron - textures experiment

Hey guys, last year i have much less time for modelling then before and it is hard for me to focus on long term projects - kind of losing the modelling mojo a bit, because i have too many projects in my mind but tooooo little time :( So i have chosed one of my running builds as a mojo refreshing project and also testbed for some textures creating. WIP and in progress photos can be found here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234995171-spitfire-mkixe-mkixc-of-312-czechoslovakia-squadron-raf/page-2 for those interested :) Nothing much to say about the kit, it is the well known great Eduard´s Spitfire IX, this time in its "e" subversion, flying by 312 (Czechoslovakia) squadron RAF.

Well, some shots of the result, taken outside on the sun :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Some closers shots of the nose and wing textures :)
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
And one shot of the underside - just quick work, in the shelf you wont see it much anyway ;) And also you can see there one of reasons, why i have chosed this kit as a test bed - i forgot to glue in the wheel wells in one of the wells... :banghead:
image.jpg
Well, thats it for now, thanks guys for watching and hope you like the result at least a bit. Any hints or recomendations welcome, my goal is to learn and use various techniques to achieve as realistic finish as possible - on this model it might be overdone on some areas (well, it is overdone on some areas), but it was mainly a test bed to see what the techniques are capable of :D So any hints and points are welcome :)
  • Like 41

Hi Wolwe. Well what can I say? Every time I look at your work I am always very impressed by your model building, detailing, painting, weathering .......well everything really!! Stunningly beautiful work on every level. Well done. :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

A truly stunning looking Spit. That's a real masterclass in weathering techniques. It's just how i'd imagine it would look on those dusty Normandy airstrips.

• Like 1

Gobsmackingly beautiful example of one of my top three planes :) How long did it take from start to finish ? And how much of that time was the weathering ? Just curious as it's so well done and I'm new back at modelling hence the curiosity :)

• Like 1

That was a experiment with a perfect result!

BTW - still you can glue in wheel well - after some sanding perhaps- from outside...

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

Thanks a lot guys, i m happy you like her even if it was just a bit :)

Stix you are way too kind as usualy ;)

stoutdave - i cant say exactly how long did it take, as i had just one free day here, after few weeks another free day and such. But generaly, building the Eduard´s Spitfire can be almost matter of hours :) Painting took me few free days (i would say around 3), like 8 hours every day. It was already part of the weathering, as i was using layers of paints with chipping fluid, salt, masking fluid. The faded paints with oil was done another day and the final weathering with airbrush and pigments was done in next day. So overall probably just a week if i was building 8 hours/day :) I did not do any scratchbuilding, so the building phase took just few hours :)

Info - all marking is painted on by airbrush with masks, all roundels took the same process as the rest of the camo, so it is just 3-4 layers of paint for every colour in the roundel :) (just two for yellow and white)

JWM - you might be right there, i did not even think about it as the Eduard´s wheel wells are done with nice click-clack system :) But i ll give it a try, thanks :)

• 1 month later...