1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

18 hours ago, CedB said:

More great engineering Peter, and I love those stencils on the internals.

thank you my friends :)

that is a high compliment indeed Ced - that is a real airframe not my model!

a little bit more...

I assembled the heelboards to the bulkhead frame..

WIP1201_zpshknthte2.jpg

..and made up a sort of trunnion thing from watch parts for the base of the control column - I can't find many shots of this area so it is imagineered..

WIP1202_zps8lxzeknf.jpg

..removed the pipework from the column so I could work on making a fitting for it and paint it..

WIP1203_zps6nvs0y8j.jpg

,,made a little box widget thing that sits between the rudder pedals on the heelboard structure..

WIP1204_zps3ox2ygyr.jpg

..and checked it all slotted together still..

WIP1206_zpsawqk6i3p.jpg

WIP1205_zpsntnk7mxr.jpg

..going to check I can fit it from the bottom into the 'pod' and paint it next...

TTFN
Peter

• Like 10

The rudder and control column assembly is tremendous Peter , very impressed with your skills.

Guy

• Like 1

14 hours ago, airscale said:

that is a high compliment indeed Ced - that is a real airframe not my model!

Oops. In my defence, your honour, it really is very hard to tell the difference!

"imagineered..." - love it!

It has occurred to me that a lot of this amazing detail is not, sadly, going to be visible on the finished model. I hope you're going to print out and bind some of the pictures for later display. Or maybe a book? That'd be great...

• Like 2

On 17/03/2017 at 8:25 PM, gingerbob said:

I don't know if this is one you've seen, but I just stumbled upon another photo of your bird:

NASM-NASM-9A02492.jpg

Link here: https://airandspace.si.edu/sites/default/files/images/collection-objects/record-images/NASM-NASM-9A02492.jpg

fabulous! no I hadn't seen this one - it is pin sharp and very useful thank you Bob :)

..bit more done - the first thing was a coat of interior green after using maskol to cover parts I wanted to keep metal and the control yoke rubber...

WIP1208_zpsigqmlubf.jpg

..the control column after adding back the piping - the brass isn't strictly correct for the gun button, but I like it..

WIP1209_zpssothdm3l.jpg

..the main framework assembled...

WIP1210_zpsmbswmqjo.jpg

WIP1211_zpsyg7ojdm5.jpg

..one of the benefits of using metal for construction is I can just wear the paint away for weathering like here on the pedals..

WIP1212_zpslmq8melm.jpg

..and the whole unit assembled..

WIP1213_zpsrhmtritb.jpg

WIP1214_zpsgskxgku8.jpg

..and here sitting dry fitted in the cockpit pod the open construction is clearly seen..

WIP1216_zpszh8c2njz.jpg

WIP1215_zpsqioztdes.jpg

..thats it for now :)

TTFN
Peter

• Like 18

Trying to find the right phrase here and failing, so bear with me.

This build is like a reverse autopsy, so well done, that you can understand why a certain fitting is in a certain place, and how everything relates to the whole. It is not just a masterclass in modelling, it is a masterclass in Spitfire.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Pastor Rich said:

So, Peter, 

What are you going to do with this beauty when she's done? 

The pit is fabulous!  A feast for the eyes!!

...See if hamsters can learn to fly warbirds.

• Like 2

Incredible stuff Peter. Don't know how you do it but so grateful that you can and that you share it with us. :clap2:

On 17/03/2017 at 20:25, gingerbob said:

I don't know if this is one you've seen, but I just stumbled upon another photo of your bird

Nice find gingerbob.

On the same subject Peter there are a couple of photos on this Swedish blog that I've not seen before. The starboard view of the nose is interesting as it also shows a glimpse of the underside of the centre section.

Dave

• Like 2

I just realised this build turned 1-year old last week! 

Happy Anniversary Peter!!

Double Dave's applause and thanks for sharing your artistry and skill with us. 

Cheers!

PR

• Like 3

Happy Anniversary indeed!

Peter this build has had me hooked - amazing micro-engineering. Thanks again for sharing it with us :) 

• Like 1

WOW :) thank you guys - such kind words and from so many of you - I am thrilled to bits  :)

please forgive me if I don't respond to each, I read every one and they all mean something to me I can assure you of that

..I have been a bit quieter lately as life and work have got in the way a bit, and in 2 weeks I am off to Miami for 3 weeks so trying to get as much done as I can..

The first major step was assembling the cockpit pod and breaking it out of it's supporting frame - I can tell you I hold my breath every time I touch it as if anything pops off inside I am doomed..

WIP1219_zpsqmevjqqe.jpg

..also the bit I was most worried about was fitting it into the airframe - if it didn't fit I either build a new cockpit or a new Spitfire..

..thankfully with a bit of fettling it slots in neatly :)

WIP1218_zpsiejpxmca.jpg

WIP1217_zpslz4rhtua.jpg

..the bottom floor needs doing next so it really is complete and I can fit it, so I rolled a sheet of cheap litho (it's going to be painted so not the good stuff) into a shape and worked it until it loosely fitted..

WIP1220_zpsc1lintdi.jpg

..then while it was taped in place I built a holding jig around it to keep everything from flexing - the trouble with using litho in this way is if you flex it, anything CA'd to it just pops off so this is essential...

WIP1221_zpsttxxsyag.jpg

..and you can just see the floor through the assembled 'pit - so now have to figure out how to detail it and still be able to slide this into place - even marking where the bulkheads are is impossible as I can't get inside with anything to do that..

WIP1222_zpskgc00ci8.jpg

..still loving making this model - even if it is getting like a ship in a bottle working on the cockpit..

thats it for now, back soon

TTFN

• Like 17

Peter,

Congratulations on your great victory!  I know that this is major hurdle for you and appreciate how awesome you must feel about now.  (I remember your fabulous Hornet and still hope that it will see the light of day again!)

[insert a standing ovation here!]

PR

Edited by Pastor Rich
To err is human, proof readers untie!
  • Like 1

Peter, I've been following this build with great interest. Really fascinating and educational to see how you approach the various aspects of the model.

Do you plan on having the in-progress work or the finished model at Telford this year? I'd love to see this in person; I'm not yet convinced that this really is only 1/18 scale! :wink:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/03/2017 at 1:29 PM, Steve in Ottawa said:

Peter, I've been following this build with great interest. Really fascinating and educational to see how you approach the various aspects of the model.

Do you plan on having the in-progress work or the finished model at Telford this year? I'd love to see this in person; I'm not yet convinced that this really is only 1/18 scale! :wink:

Thanks guys - Steve, I am going to try to finish it for Telford and may well even enter it in my first ever competition :) It will be there - finished or not..

now quite a big step forward..

..I needed to get the cockpit complete, so I remade the bottom of the control column and the structure around it after being emailed some great drawings (thanks Don :)), the rudder control cables and a torque tube that goes from the control column back under the seat to an assembly on frame 10 to control the elevators..

WIP1224_zpsm8evxf42.jpg

..also a drop/ferry tank control & release lever - made the housing first and then used a sheet of ali to start making up the pull release handle..

WIP1225_zpsp05h0pqz.jpg

..the finished handle...

WIP1226_zpsrorayrkb.jpg

..and the complete assembly - it was tricky to fit this into the complete cockpit, but it is installed now...

WIP1228_zps1e4qf2km.jpg

..this was the access I has to the bottom of the pod - I added some structural parts that run fore to aft and lots of other bits & bobs..

WIP1227_zpsz0xg3gqo.jpg

..the floor cell had some structure added and was beaten up a bit...

WIP1229_zps1mv69pxj.jpg

..and when happy I had absolutely everything done, the floor was added..

WIP1230_zpsx4kufaek.jpg

..this is it now - done - all I need to be careful about is damage & dust..

WIP1231_zpsgeegyyxp.jpg

WIP1232_zps8jjyqhz2.jpg

..and thankfully it all fits neatly into the fuselage - I have the section of fuselage I removed to bulk some of the contours out, but in some places the tolerances are so fine that it will be just sheet metal skin like the real one that laminate onto the cockpit cell..

WIP1233_zps0jcitqr0.jpg

..once fitted I can start the rest of the skinning and then start worrying about what to do about a canopy - the one I have is reasonably clear, but I have not looked at the shape and afterall it is from a Seafire FR47...

.,.so thats me done - a few weeks in Miami awaits :)

TTFN
Peter

• Like 18

Just...wow. I want to climb in, strap in and start her up!

The craftsmanship on show when you build the individual components simply beggars belief when it all comes together like that. Truly phenomenal stuff, Peter. Have a well earned break!

• Like 1