1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

Hey Peter,

Did you notice in the photo above, that the leading edge strip on the Rotol blade is segmented and not a single piece? Interesting.

Can't wait to see how the resin comes out!

PR

That's actually pretty common for metal leading edge strips. In the event of damage, you can replace one segment, rather than the whole strip.

• Like 2

I recall pilots of the 7th PRG at Mt. Farm was really rough on the props when they transitioned to reverse lend-lease Spitfire PR's. Pilots tended to nose over a lot not being used to braking in the Spit.

Lightning drivers (my neck of the woods) didn't have such problems being trikes with all metal props. The thing that could get them was if the Prop Mechanic put the right prop on the left engine (or vice-versa). I have a buddy who's Dad was the prop mechanic for the 34th PRS and made that very mistake.

It's not a mistake that you easily repeat! Memorable enough is running an engine with the wrong prop on it let alone the butt reaming he got from the Line Chief for doing it!

PR

• Like 1

evening ladies... :)

thanks again for your kind words

Nice trick with the sandpaper! i'm sure that will come in handy some day! As it happens i'm working on the humble frog pritfire XIV in 1/72 and the carb intake will need to be replaced, so your image might come in handy as a reference.

for what it's worth two nice shots i have of the area:

they are really useful shots, thank you, and the slipper tank hooks will definately need to be included as I have pictures of TZ138 in race config carrying one (bloody ugly thing it is too..)

You have sharp eyes mr PR! Looks it was patched up or something like it.

Peter, the fairing is so impressive. Great work! What is this P38? Is it an automotive body filler?

thanks chaps - if that prop leading edge sheath is in parts then so be it, but mine is done so it's staying that way :) - as for P38. yes it's a UK car filler and I really like it - its cheap for loads of it, dries quickly, is strong and can be machined etc - I use it exclusively now for any filling / shaping job..

so, on with the news... I think I have just done something pretty bloody difficult, so lets start with that...

I used the master of the carb intake to cast a copy in resin - here in the top pic you can see the pipes that were attached in the 2-part mould to allow resin in and air out...

..in the bottom pic I have dremelled out some innards and am making a litho sleeve for the intake opening...

WIP640_zpsdileb0zg.jpg

..I needed some mesh for the intake screen and very nearly chopped up Mrs A's kitchen sieve, but then thought I would avoid castration and try something else - a thought struck me that the local 'Head' shop might have mesh for all the crazy pipes and bongs they sell (I live in Brighton, there are lots around :))..

..so here it is, also with some fixing bolts that have yet to have the shafts cut off...

WIP641_zpsaw89ultb.jpg

..after fitting the intake..next came the difficult bit...

..the real intake seems to be skinned as one part, there are no panel lines at all that I can see..I expect it is a number of welded pressings or something. This posed a bit of a problem as it is just one big group of concave and convex curves - I thought I would give it a go...

WIP642_zps30xrayfy.jpg

..I used tape and wooden blocks to try and form it, lots of kinks formed, and a few cuts were needed to create overlaps I hoped I could do something with later..

..the first one I made was short at the front frustratingly so that got scrapped, the next is buried under tape on the right..

WIP643_zpskm5fk2tx.jpg

..the second taught me where to make some cuts and overlaps and came out better, even here I didn't think I could work the kinks out of it...

WIP644_zpsiwv1gslc.jpg

..after lots of burnishing, and something I tried for the first time which was using a small hammer to beat the kinks and deformaties flat before filing and sanding out - always being careful not to go too thin or through the skin I ended up with something I am pretty proud of - it's not perfect, but it's a lot better than I thought I could do with it :)

WIP646_zpsmkbjoxck.jpg

WIP647_zpsxjwnzwsm.jpg

WIP649_zpsytvgnnkg.jpg

WIP648_zpscwygdcwd.jpg

happy days :)

thats all for now

TTFN
Peter

• Like 7

I'm having difficulty speaking at the moment because my jaw has hit the floor again.

That oil cooler is the bogs dollocks!

You're coming on leaps and bounds now.

I'm patiently waiting for my next fix.

Thanks for sharing your skills with us.

• Like 1

My two favourite things that make my jaw drop lately:

1. The winning try for the ALL BLACKS at RWC 2015

2. THIS SPITFIRE BUILD!!!!!

Masterful! Simply marvellous!!!

I knew this part was going to take some time to fabricate and what incredible results Peter!

Standing stunned in the Peanut Gallery.........PR

• Like 1

Sweet Baby Moses.................I`m speechless, I've been following this build from the start, every time I log on I hope there`s going to be another update, and it never disappoints! This is jaw droppingly brilliant, I`m sitting here mouth open in astonishment, kind of grinning and laughing out loud at the same time! Today is a good day!

• Like 1

morning folks :)

so a couple of piccies this morning..

..this is up next... tailwheel & bay...

WIP656_zps0m08f8nn.jpg

..I designed the wheel & had that 3D printed, so next was the yoke - I made a paper template and started to cut it from thick brass sheet..

WIP650_zps51q3apas.jpg

..used the lathe to turn the leg...

WIP651_zpsffx6w1tn.jpg

..finished shaping the yoke and soldered it to a bit of tbe that would carry the oleo strut..

WIP652_zpsvo1timpx.jpg

..built up a collection of parts to make the basic leg/wheel combo..

WIP653_zpszfkkmdei.jpg

..and assembled them (I can take the wheel off still so I can paint it all...)

WIP655_zpsq5zlxuyb.jpg

WIP654_zpsyqxtsuxv.jpg

..I think I will make the whole tailwheel bay separately and just remove a section of the model and replace it with the finished structure rather than fiddle about trying keyhole surgery into a little opening in the fuselage..

onto that next...

TTFN
Peter

• Like 19

Peter,

Great idea on building the tail wheel bay separately! Keep it simple!!

As much as I can't wait to see it sitting on all three wheels, the journey is just TOO MUCH FUN to rush through!!!

I'll bet you're thinking about doing some major structures to move the project forward. Have you been thinking about skinning the wings yet? Once the tail wheel is done you'll have nothing to keep you from that, will you? Even skinning the vertical stab or a good chunk of the empennage?!

Standing in perpetual applause in the Peanut Gallery,

PR

Edited by Pastor Rich
  • Like 1

evening my friends & thanks for stopping by :)

so, a small bit to add to the WIP today - I started the tailwheel bay - once I have this cracked then it is most of the build work done where I need to hack the airframe about - then I can start skinning it (you are right PR!) :)

..first step was to cut away a section that the bay will slot into...

WIP658_zpsta7lnzro.jpg

...as the tailwheel carries quite a bit of weight, I had to think how best to spread the load and remove points of failure - I decided a brass sheet construction lined with litho - here top left is the top and front formers in brass with holes for the leg and a depression the tyre retracts into... below that a bit of litho marked on the back ready to be cut out as the liner.... and on the right a bit of soft aluminium being worked into a balsa former to get the tyre depression fairing...

WIP657_zpssqt4mc4x.jpg

...next I lined the brass with riveted litho and added a pin to the leg so I could pin right through the angled mount (in the vice) into the bay wall - that should carry the load and spread it into the brasswork...

WIP659_zpsnrnjxml0.jpg

..like this...

WIP660_zpsunbfhhkg.jpg

and in place - it is too long as I got some rudder geometry a bit out and need to add some skin to make up the rudder shroud...

WIP662_zpsgfqifjnk.jpg

WIP661_zpsae9dhqgy.jpg

..and thats it for now - I am away on business for a few days so hope to be back for the weekend :)

TTFN
Peter

• Like 17

Hey Peter,

One thing I noticed was that the oleo strut in the tailwheel photo in post #486 is not compressed. Yours is the same in the final fit of #491. You just need to shorten the strut to show "weight" on the gear. (Unless, of course, you can just bleed some air from the cylinder! Who knows how deep you got into the details there?!!!)

Cheers!

PR

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Caerbannog said:

I start to wonder... do you employ apprentices? :whistle:

Excellent work as always :thumbsup:

Rene

I think he leaves it on the bench at night and tiny Elves do all the work.

Edited by John_W
Forum decided to post quote multiple times
  • Like 4