1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

evening folks :)

Peter,

Question: What kind of printer are you using for the instrument dials? (Just curious)

Loving your work and your storytelling of the process. Most inspirational and educational...

Cheers!

PR

Hi PR :) -I don't print these, I have it done at my commercial printer - they do all my packaging etc and said they could print on transparencies so I asked them to print them..

Looking forward to the two layer instruments. Especailly how you print the white needles - there are not a lot of printers able to do this I think.

Rene

Thanks Rene - well, we will see how that goes in a minute - that said I didn't print the needles though...

..I tried to make the instrument needles from decal to see if it would impart a 3D effect and it was an excercise in miniaturisation (and probably pointlessness...) - I found some off-white, really old decals from something and used a reversed printout of the instruments to set them out onto some clear card..the double ended arrow nearly put me in a sanitorium...

..once they were set out, I dipped the card in future to kind of lock it all down...

WIP150_zpsop0q6j5g.jpg

..in real life it looks better than the pics, but I am not sure I will do it again coolio.gif

WIP151_zpsiczcs32q.jpg

WIP153_zpsdt19nyeh.jpg

WIP152_zpskyoaoffz.jpg

hopefully they work though? (well not work as in actually work, but work as in you are fooled by them :) )

thats it for now..

TTFN

Peter

• Like 14

Peter,

That was a great idea for the instrument dials! Seems to me that you could piece small bits together to make the double-ended arrow types. This would be a good way to add colour like Vspeed markings too. I might think you could affix the decal paper onto the clear sheet as well; then cut away that which you didn't want. (I may have to try that myself)

I think the effect is realized perfectly thought -- BRAVO!!!

Now that I have been following your work for a while; I'm starting to think of doing crazy things like rendering more of the inner workings of the instruments themselves rather than flat faced pieces. (You have hopelessly ruined me for building OOB -- you know that don't you?)

Thank you for that!

OH! And don't forget that altimeters come with altimeter settings. It should read pressure altitude for the given airfield in the Kollsman window. (Far too small to read even at 1/18 scale -- but can be rendered I'm sure). If you set for standard atmospheric pressure of 29.92 and set the altimeter needles at 791' -- that would be an accurate representation of the field elevation (and setting) for CLEVELAND MUNICIPAL AIRPORT (today known as the CLEVELAND HOPKINS INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT) -- home to the National Air Races of that time!

I also found an interesting site (with photos of your subject) at: http://www.airrace.com/1949%20NAR%20.htm-- have yet to explore that site at length...

I did find this colour photo: http://www.airrace.com/Html%20Added/1949NAR/1949NAR-81.jpg

Now if I could only get to working on my little project -- but "paying" work awaits and my boys are still not done with their homework.

Thanks for the continued inspiration!

PR

Edited by Pastor Rich
  • Like 2

If you set for standard atmospheric pressure of 29.92 and set the altimeter needles at 791' -- that would be an accurate representation of the field elevation (and setting) for CLEVELAND MUNICIPAL AIRPORT (today known as the CLEVELAND HOPKINS INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT) -- home to the National Air Races of that time!

Only if they'd replaced the UK altimeter with a US one; ours read in milibars on this side of the Pond

• Like 4

Hey they look ... Ah - I repeat myself... ;-)

:mike:

René

It gets like that doesn't it?

You see a new post, you click on the thread and "bam" you get knocked flat by the build reaching a whole new level.

• Like 1

Ex-FAAWAFU,

I had wondered if the altimeters were different over there -- I had a suspicion they were. I don't even know what type altimeter would be installed in Canadian registered aircraft. All of my flying has been US built (and based) gliders and fixed-wing, single-engine land types.

Peter,

Question: Do you have photos of the real panel for "#80"?

• Like 1

Only if they'd replaced the UK altimeter with a US one; ours read in milibars on this side of the Pond

Perleeeze, Hectopascals dear boy, hectopascals.

A friend was telling me he used to have a conversion chart for millibars to hectopasals. Whoever sold those was onto a good thing!

• Like 3

I don't even know what type altimeter would be installed in Canadian registered aircraft. All of my flying has been US built (and based) gliders and fixed-wing, single-engine land based types

I wouldn't know about vintage aircraft, but modern Canadian GA planes have the U.S. Type altimeter.

And Peter, this is phenomenal. It's a wonder that the instruments dont actually work, as they look like they might.

K

• Like 2

evening folks :)

I also found an interesting site (with photos of your subject) at: http://www.airrace.com/1949%20NAR%20.htm-- have yet to explore that site at length...

I did find this colour photo: http://www.airrace.com/Html%20Added/1949NAR/1949NAR-81.jpg

Thanks for the continued inspiration!

PR

Thanks PR for your continually interesting thoughts & posts - those are useful pics indeed - as for the altimeter, had I known before I did the artwork I would have set it to Cleveland Municipal Airport - it is currently 0000 which is very boring..

Question: Do you have photos of the real panel for "#80"?

I wish.... - I have some coming of it as it is now hopefully, but that is after restoration in the '90's and the interior is a sort of Cessna white now so useful for layout only really - I am building it as per the refs I have and a few original looking warbirds or museum birds..

so, a little bit done on the Spit - I have been unreasonably busy lately so not much time at the bench...

carried on with the panel and wanted to do the little oblong Oil Pressure gauge so I cut one from a spare panel and bent it to it's rounded shape, I also prepared the acetate printout and shaped this too..

WIP156_zps7othhfef.jpg

..I painted it before assembly so I could get all around it - here I am masking for a little filler to give it solid sides..

WIP157_zps06thbgpq.jpg#

..painted up a load of parts in various blacks and also did the Boost gauge in it's characteristic dark red..

WIP158_zpstwj0i6pi.jpg

..and added the oxygen panel, Brake gauge, U/C indicator saying 'Up' and 'Down' and started some of the detail painting..

WIP159_zpsg7ojwuc6.jpg

WIP160_zpsajiivqx2.jpg

WIP161_zpsrum8uawg.jpg

..looking at it in these pics I can see some improvements and there is still a lot to add so by no means the finished article..

speak soon..

TTFN
Peter

• Like 11

Seeing wips like this make me feel positively inspired.....positively inspired to throw my arms up in the air,sell the stash,burn the mancave and take up knitting instead! I am in awe at your creative talents sir thank you for sharing them....now I'm off to cry in a darkend room!!😌

• Like 5

I take the freedom to add two photos I have in my albums. I hope this will help this amazing work.( by the way if you need a close up feel free to ask )... Have a nice day !

cheers. Olivier

CF%20GMZ_zpsoaxe8qm1.jpg

80_zpszhrwtfs6.jpg

Edited by JOAN
  • Like 3

Wonderful work Peter.

Guy

• Like 1