1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

evening fellow model nuts :)

so, whats what - still messing around with fitting the cockpit out so lots of tiny little assemblies and wires & pipes - they take an extraordinarily long time to get right actually - a bit of a time vampire..

..this is the sutton harness release - say an hour on that alone..

WIP1152_zpswckr9c0k.jpg

..a signalling switchbox - another hour..

WIP1151_zpsqxz0xuv7.jpg

..this was another tricky one - two parallel pipes - I taped them so I could bend them as one and then cut slots out of the tape to fit brackets that will keep them equally spaced.. on some aircraft they are green but I might leave them natural,,

WIP1153_zpscpnfenpv.jpg

...the U/C controls got all their pipework which again were tricky to get right in relation to the IP bulkhead and the mounting..

WIP1157_zpslr6n2vid.jpg

..fuseboxes, switchgear, and all the other bits were fitted..

WIP1155_zpskdezgwp2.jpg

WIP1154_zpsujdvvihb.jpg

WIP1156_zpsges9e5gu.jpg

..they all need to go through holes in the rear bulkhead too so checked for fit..

WIP1158_zpshegdvnsn.jpg

..and a dry fit with the IP bulkhead in place..

WIP1159_zpsv2uqluuj.jpg

WIP1160_zps428t5u7q.jpg

and thats it - the more I look, the more bits I can see, but at least I am getting there...

..I just hope it all holds up when this whole unit is mounted into the model and it is handles to add all the skinning to come :coolio:

TTFN

Peter

• Like 21

Peter,

If you're concerned at bits flopping loose during handling while skinning; how about making a soft packing for the pit?  A soft fibre material inside of a light weight plastic bag may be enough to hold everything in place?  (Insert empty bag, stuff full of soft material that expands the bag?)  Heck, you could do it with a straw and a balloon.  Insert a small balloon into the pit and blow it up with a straw.  Pinch it off and tuck it all away to hold the bits and pieces in place until you're ready to finish the canopy and windscreen.  Add things like the control column last? 

• Like 2

Great stuff Peter - amazing detail and realism.

Fingers crossed for the later stages and great tip from Pastor Rich :) 

• Like 1

you chaps are too kind - thank you for all your kind comments :)

still bimbling along getting the cockpit sorted out, so in no particular order, I went for these heelboard things that are down by the rudder pedals..

WIP1161_zpsc9dp1cxl.jpg

..they are a complex pressing so I took a leaf out of Rainer's book and made the opposite shape to burnish the shape into..

WIP1162_zpsu0kjohs0.jpg

..they cracked a bit in places but I am not going to sweat it, also a pipe that had markings on it was made up too..

WIP1167_zpsl4dx9tyx.jpg

..one thing I did learn was not to be too hasty - I was just about to cement the seat bulkhead and the instrument panel into the sidewall at the weekend, when I thought as it was midnight I had better wait until the morning to make sure I did it properly..

..it turned out to be a very good move as I realised I had not added the upper cockpit sills and the curved strengtheners at the bottom of the windscreen - I could never have done it once assembled...

..it was stupid of me to have got so far into the detail without completing the basics as I had to be very careful with the surgery that followed..

..first the upper sill needed cutting back - this was scored and then broken off in tiny sections..

WIP1163_zpsbivcbams.jpg

..then the upper longeron was added - this is 'U' section brass as it is the canopy slide rail from the outside, also added the curved frame part..

WIP1164_zpsnvbhfzoo.jpg

..same on the other side, though this time I messed up where the canopy rail was so had to move it and patch up..

WIP1165_zpsrlottl8y.jpg

..and both sides finished and repainted where needed..

WIP1168_zps2cl6wvk1.jpg

..I also painted the fuel tank a different green as one of the pics I have has this shade and I quite like the contrast, plus I took some careful wire wool treatment to the main parts to weather them slightly..

WIP1169_zpsbfivmyob.jpg

..now it is pretty much ready to permanently fix the two bulkheads -

WIP1170_zpsu4kwsphc.jpg

WIP1171_zps0osz4jom.jpg

..thats it for today :)

TTFN
Peter

Edited by airscale
  • Like 18

Hello Peter, your work is amazing, and I'm following it with the greatest interest because I'm in the process of building a Mk XIVe (highback) myself.

I'm working on the wings now and I noticed that you apparently missed the circular inspection panel near the inner aileron hinge (underside of the wing). It is well discernible on the magnified photograph of the wing underside of the real #80 racer that you posted back on december 7, 2016 (W.I.P.page 28). Myself I'm trying to understand if it is common to all XIVe: some restored a/cs have two circular inspection panels on the same ex-gunbay rectangular panel, one forward, one back.

Great work!

Stefano

Edited by steh2o
  • Like 1

Hi Peter,

Just had to catch up with your "Spit"I have been occupied by other things , my word what wonderful work you have done ! Looking very realistic !!.

:clap2::clap2:

Guy

• Like 1

On 07/03/2017 at 8:52 AM, steh2o said:

Hello Peter, your work is amazing, and I'm following it with the greatest interest because I'm in the process of building a Mk XIVe (highback) myself.

I'm working on the wings now and I noticed that you apparently missed the circular inspection panel near the inner aileron hinge (underside of the wing). It is well discernible on the magnified photograph of the wing underside of the real #80 racer that you posted back on december 7, 2016 (W.I.P.page 28). Myself I'm trying to understand if it is common to all XIVe: some restored a/cs have two circular inspection panels on the same ex-gunbay rectangular panel, one forward, one back.

Great work!

Stefano

Thanks Stefano - I will have to look at that - I thought I had covered everything on a late 'E' wing but could easily have missed it - I am unlikely to start changing things now unless it's an easy fix though :)

On 07/03/2017 at 5:11 PM, F4u said:

Hi Peter,

Just had to catch up with your "Spit"I have been occupied by other things , my word what wonderful work you have done ! Looking very realistic !!.

:clap2::clap2:

Guy

Great to see you back Guy - and thanks for your kind words :)

Peter

afternoon folks :)

thanks again for all the encouragement - really appreciate it :)

I have been working on getting the cockpit assembled and getting the main bulkheads into place. Before I could do that I needed to dress the seat with seatbelts - I had prepared some PE parts as part of the PE fret I had made ages ago, but they were all grossly overscale so I had to look around..

HGW don't do any in 1/18 scale, and nor do HpH as far as I could tell so I looked at car models & found some in 1/20 - so £20 later I had an F1 car set that I could use a couple of parts from..

..they came with 2 & 3mm ribbon so I assembled the harness as best I could make it out, but the problem was the stiffness / springiness of the ribbon - eventually I taped it over some non-stick material on some aluminium and drizzled with thin CA to try and preserve it's shape..

WIP1172_zpsmdcngtqn.jpg

..then made up the lapstraps from ribbon & tape and sprayed some thin white primer to try and neutralise the gaudy colours..

WIP1173_zpsibbzulwg.jpg

..started the same drizzle with CA process to try and get them to conform and made up the central release catch..

WIP1174_zpsgabmjllr.jpg

..and after painting..

WIP1175_zpstgtcqqod.jpg

...and fitted to the seat - this is a complete assembly now..

.. I can't say I am happy with them, but can't see any other alternative..

WIP1176_zps6vmdqhqy.jpg

WIP1177_zps9r9sj5b7.jpg

..also started to assemble the other cockpit wall..

WIP1178_zpsc1ud8n2p.jpg

..and now this all assembles into the cockpit pod..

WIP1180_zpsfkvykxfo.jpg

WIP1179_zpsz1cu6u0p.jpg

..moving onto the bottom section now and have started on the rudder pedals already so see you next time :)

TTFN

Peter

• Like 10

More excellence Peter , seatbelts look great to me like the way you have made them.

Guy

• Like 1