1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

'added a fake screw head...)'

I'm... saddened. See :(

A fake screw head indeed... sheesh. What's the world coming to, I ask you.

Once again, I resort to mock outrage to cover my awe and jealousy - sterling work.

Edit: I popped over and had a look at the tutorial on LSP, and I note the query about turning long thin pieces. If you feel able, please let the poster know that a device known as a 'follower' or a 'follow rest' is used to support long, thin work, which is (very) basically a device that follows the cutting head and supports the lathed material from behind while the cutter does its job. There's a pile of info to be found via Google on the subject (lots of YouTube videos) - like many things, it's a lot deeper than it appears at first blush.

Thanks Rob :) very kind of you to help me out with that explanation and glad you are enjoying the ride

I will pop over now and update the thread with the new info

much appreciated

Peter

• Like 1

Excellent work .

Guy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

evening folks :)

been a bit flat out lately so this is all I have managed..

... the first thing was I finished the priming pump - I just punched a disc and made up the switch from tiny bits..

WIP216_zpsn3fm3u1k.jpg

..I sort of got a bit stuck in a catch 22, I couldn't keep adding to the sidewall as I might struggle to paint all the detail, and I didn't want to paint too early as I didn't want to do lots of assembly on a finished surface..

it took me days to resolve the quandry and I kept just fiddling about instead of actually getting somewhere..

eventually I thought I would paint - so that meant primer. I got a quick dry etch primer off ebay that is for the automotive industry and it works great but is very thick. I took a chance on some scrap and decanted some and diluted it 50/50 with Mr Leveller thinner and the test came out fine so shot a few parts...

WIP217_zpsgnpup09j.jpg

..after that I mixed up a tamiya pot of interior green to get a shade I wanted and shot this too - I have no idea whats in it - greens, blues, greys etc but it looks ok to me,,

..the undercarriage selector has a little bit of green on the casing so shot that too..

WIP218_zpsvtcgdubt.jpg

WIP219_zpse9vlfeu5.jpg

..and also the lower bulkhead under the panel..

WIP222_zpsr2qjpscv.jpg

WIP220_zpsmq1itgjp.jpg

..and a sort of mock-up of how it will start to come together,, (he says optimistically..)

WIP221_zpsxb3bizs9.jpg

..at least I made a decision and can get going again...

TTFN
Peter

• Like 15

..I sort of got a bit stuck in a catch 22...

it took me days to resolve the quandry and I kept just fiddling about instead of actually getting somewhere..

..at least I made a decision and can get going again...

Even you, Peter? That makes me feel ever-so-slightly better!

bob

• Like 1

I feel ya Peter,

How many times have I mulled over a project not sure of how to take my next steps -- grind on it a while and strike-out on a path. You hate that you may ruin all your work but hate to be stuck in the ditch. (Hence the reason why I pray over a project before I get started -- but that's what us pastors do anyway) Thankfully, inspiration kicks-in and kewl things happen!

That's why I love following your projects. Lot's of inspiration and kewl outcomes. (Even when the sky is falling and buries the Firecat!)

Awesomeness in action!

Bravo!!

PR

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for dropping in ... I just do my thing, and I am really glad you like it..

I have been doing a little bit on the Spit - I want to get some of the sidewall laid out so I can start working out how to build it up into a module to slot into the cockpit section I cut out of the airframe..

..I needed to finish the U/C control so used maskol (a rubber like masking fluid - very useful) to cover various bits as I sprayed a couple of black shades..

taking off the first mask..

WIP223_zpsr2iy3ew0.jpg

..and then things like the handle and connectors..

WIP224_zpsmzsmpshb.jpg

..I added some of our airscale placards - I do have one on the 1/24 set that says 'Chassis' but I think it is too small so might look at other options as I also need an 'Up' and 'Down' in fairly large letters too..

WIP225_zpsbgapzblb.jpg

..because much of the base construction was in nickel silver etch rather than brass, it weathers really well - I am toying with changing all my new 1/24 brass panels to nickel silver too as I think it is a much better medium?

WIP226_zpsrgta9wbg.jpg

..I had already fitted the mounting lugs to the sidewall so started to dry fit what goes where..

WIP229_zpsldixvswp.jpg

WIP230_zpsazgaxh4g.jpg

..and this little section of cockpit is starting to take shape...

WIP228_zps11t7wmj3.jpg

WIP227_zpsrjnt74u2.jpg

..need to think about the many layers & plumbing of all the parts as a whole so I don't tie myself in a knot as there is a lot of detail to go...

TTFN

Peter

• Like 17

OMG :gobsmacked: This build is absolutely amazing, if you added the engine it wouldn't take much to get it going !!! What fantastic work you have done so far. I did love the update where you said not much going on but you had built the compass !!! That would have taken me months to do, I can tell you.

Looks flipping fabulous, thanks for sharing and keep up the good work. Very inspiring.

All the best
Chris

Fantastic Peter :wow:

Guy

• Like 1

I have been doing a bit of 3D design on the spinner, but have been struggling a bit to find good clear references for it - this is my first attempt, but I think I will evolve another version with a full hub inside it too (and get rid of the tit on the top...)

WIP231_zpsyahbeid2.jpg

I did look to see if I could use the kit spinner, but as it is an FR47 contra-prop it is way too long, and anyway it would need hollowing out etc..

WIP235_zps58x2wmos.jpg

..working on the spinner design actually made me realise I need to get out of the cockpit and vary what I am doing a bit, so I had a look at the wings, again as a Seafire these are later than the MkXIV 'E' wing and look to be differently shaped.

First step was to CA the ailerons into place so I have a view of the overall shape..

WIP232_zpsn0c3mrxo.jpg

one thing became clear, the E wing is wider in chord, up to about 8mm so I am going to have to add the profile and skin over it..

WIP233_zps4j45fu8z.jpg

..also the wing tip needs to be cropped down and the aileron needs moving inboard - all the lumps & bumps have got to go too..

WIP234_zps3gsqzubk.jpg

I also need to try and find if the aerofoil was different between the two wing types as the kit wing does seem quite thick - it may be it was, it may be just the kit or it may be I am just wrong again.. I just wish I knew the Spitfire better hmmm.gif

..time for some old school butchery methinks...

TTFN

Peter

• Like 6

A bit harder to cut and sand than brass, how about nickel plating the brass after etching?

Hi Nigel - thanks for stopping by - it's an interesting one this, as it does seem nickel silver if anything is slightly softer than brass, it is stainless steel that I have had things like scribers and rivet wheels before that is harder to cut and sand. I have a couple of Eduard printed etch sets that seem to be harder than nickel, but softer than stainless so I am not sure if it is the same thing. Plating is a good idea - I will ask PPD what that means to the process (& the cost :coolio: )

thanks again

Peter

• Like 1

Airfoil should be the same- as should the chord until you get out to somewhere along the aileron. If you haven't, you might want to double-check the wing drawing scale, and/or kit dimensions. (I don't think I have any real gen on the Griffon spinner.)

bob

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 1

The Griffon spinner had a greater diameter than the Merlin to fair in the lower thrust line and larger gearbox of the new engine to the old airframe and the length was extended for mainly aesthetic and aerodynamic reasons.

However as far as I 'm aware there are no profile or dimensional differences between the Mk XIV spinner and that of the 47. Measuring from my reference drawing you have an overall full scale length of 32" with a max dia of 28" as near as dammit. Yes the construction is different to the five blader (and indeed between the DH and Rotol contra's) but as far as i know the profile remains the same.

John

• Like 1

Hi Peter

Somehow this thread has managed to slip below my radar so I have just spent an extremely happy half hour catching up. All I can say is that you have taken fine engineering and scale modelling into the realms of pure artistry - I am stunned at the level of detail you achieve.

DC

PS I also echo an earlier post - now I know where my modelling talent went when it was being handed out!

• Like 1