Yamaha XT250, gold anodised rims.

The Cameraman

Hi Guys n Gals,

E-bay came to the rescue where I've managed to find a scale model of my first ever brand new bike, my much loved 1982 Yamaha XT250.

The Bandai kit looks really good and will hopefully build up to be an accurate replication of my original.

The main thing that needs attention is the chrome finished wheels, as my particular machine came with rims that were anodised in gold, so I wonder if any of you kind folk could make any suggestions of how to do this?

Would it be better to leave the chrome in place and try to cover it with a gold top finish (this could be difficult as how the heck to you cover chrome) or should I strip the chrome off with some suitable chemical and then look for a gold chrome finish etc?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated and please note I haven't built a kit for well over 35 years, so I'll do some basic practise work on some old Airfix things I've bought cheap on E-bay, to re-learn processes.

And yes, I will start a build thread as soon as I'm ready to begin, with loads of piccies and plenty of errors, for sure!

Edited by The Cameraman

I have just brought a Tamiya Yamaha Virago kit, the instructions suggest going over the chrome with Tamiya clear yellow. I have a book with a step by step build done this way and it looks very effective. I presume this is the type of finish you want to achieve

I have just brought a Tamiya Yamaha Virago kit, the instructions suggest going over the chrome with Tamiya clear yellow. I have a book with a step by step build done this way and it looks very effective. I presume this is the type of finish you want to achieve

Hi Stuck,

hmmm sounds interesting.

Are you going to take this route?

I strip it, then Alclad aluminium, then a clear yellow on top. Close to an anodized finish as the base alloy generally isn't polished before treatment.

Hi Vontrips,

thank you kindly for yet another option.

I'm learning loads today and I'm really glad I asked.

Once all option shave been offered, I'll try 'em out on test parts and select the best one for the final work.

• Like 1

Good morning Chaps :bye:

An easy way to achieve the anodised wheels on the Yamaha, (and the Virago that Stuck has), is to spray tamiya clear yellow directly from the rattle can onto the chrome part.

Now, there's half a dozen people chocking on their tea and bacon butties screaming 'spray directly onto chrome parts!!!!!'

But yes. Just make sure that the parts are clean from finger prints etc, one coat of yellow should do nicely, let it dry properly and then coat them with Semi Gloss Clear. Semi Gloss because Clear makes them look just a bit too shiny in that scale, and the semi gloss dulls it down to just the right shinyness (my opinion)

The clear is very important because it seals the paint and it wont flake off as you would expect painting directly onto chrome parts.

What you are left with is a nice set of Gold rims, and surprisingly, the modelling world as you know it hasn't collapsed into anarchy because you sprayed directly onto a chrome part :coolio:

:ninja: Mad Steve :ninja:

• Like 1

Soak rims in bleach (or obnoxious chemical of your choice) to remove the chrome, tamiya primer then Alclad!

20160222_202116_zpsfynru81n.jpg

Couldn't be easier and it doesn't even need a sealing coat..

Rick.

• Like 1

Good morning Chaps :bye:

An easy way to achieve the anodised wheels on the Yamaha, (and the Virago that Stuck has), is to spray tamiya clear yellow directly from the rattle can onto the chrome part.

Now, there's half a dozen people chocking on their tea and bacon butties screaming 'spray directly onto chrome parts!!!!!'

But yes. Just make sure that the parts are clean from finger prints etc, one coat of yellow should do nicely, let it dry properly and then coat them with Semi Gloss Clear. Semi Gloss because Clear makes them look just a bit too shiny in that scale, and the semi gloss dulls it down to just the right shinyness (my opinion)

The clear is very important because it seals the paint and it wont flake off as you would expect painting directly onto chrome parts.

What you are left with is a nice set of Gold rims, and surprisingly, the modelling world as you know it hasn't collapsed into anarchy because you sprayed directly onto a chrome part :coolio:

:ninja: Mad Steve :ninja:

Hi Mad Steve,

thanks for your reply.

I'll start practising with my airbrush etc before a decide on which of these options to try out.

Soak rims in bleach (or obnoxious chemical of your choice) to remove the chrome, tamiya primer then Alclad!

20160222_202116_zpsfynru81n.jpg

Couldn't be easier and it doesn't even need a sealing coat..

Rick.

Hi Rick,

what a lovely finish you've managed to obtain there.

Thanks for your suggestion as well, most appreciated.

• Like 1

Alclads changed my whole outlook on painting metallic's.

Many believe it's a dark art, but I've found it's just about the easiest paint to use and cleaning the AB is a doddle.

I go out of my way to use it whenever I can.

Those Ducati wheels were done very quickly.

Bang on the primer, let dry, spray the Alclad.

Done.

Grab some and have a play.

Rick.

• Like 2