F-35 Discussion Thread. Please curb your political enthusiasm and play nicely.

Alan P

What is it tanking off? That's not a Voyager. 13 refuellings in 10 hours, it's living up the reputation of a Lightning.

Thought I saw a KC-10 in the background of one photo.

Trevor

What is it tanking off? That's not a Voyager. 13 refuellings in 10 hours, it's living up the reputation of a Lightning.

The three A's refuelled from KC-10s. The B's used a KC-130 as well, loads of great photo opportunities from the cargo deck, but meant more low-level and slow flying, hence more refuellings. Edited by Alan P

thanks for the updates Alan, watched the vids, now got tickets for the Friday, hopefully it'll fly then!

in the meantime is there any decent literature available on the type yet ? - I thought I recalled a recent 'bookazine' ..but maybe not (or was it a supplement in Air International) ..anyone remember ?

• Like 1

Well the obvious source is the industry website at F-35.com though the conspiracy theorists will tell you it's all disinformation and Lockheed Martin spin. As they've been SO right <_< about practically everything else, I think you can be reasonably happy with it.

• Like 1

Whilst it's an interesting diversion, the gun talk is irrelevant. This is 2016, and Vietnam was a very long time ago.

Politician-dictated ROE are timeless.

And I'm not thinking specificaly A2A, the gun count in A2G too, even more in low intensity conflicts, when your ennemy can't afford radar stations, and doesn't care if you fly fifth gen stealth fighter jet.

Ever heard of the Jaguar diplomaty?

How do you fire warning shots in front of a rebel technicals column when your steath gun pod has been forgotten on the parking?

PS: I see that the topic's title has been changed (shortly after my last post). I'm not too sure about the meaning?

Well at risk of repeating myself, if it was deemed mission-specific, a gun pod would be fitted.

PS: I see that the topic's title has been changed (shortly after my last post). I'm not too sure about the meaning?

It means I'd love us to keep this thread for updates, photos and general information on the progress of the F-35 programme. It would be great if we could keep the archaic comparisons and controversies in separate threads. Edited by Alan P

It means I'd love us to keep this thread for updates, photos and general information on the progress of the F-35 programme. It would be great if we could keep the archaic comparisons and controversies in separate threads.

Archaic comparisons?

Well, in this case, I'm off, and won't disturb you any more in your own private journal.

• Like 1

Archaic comparisons?

Well, in this case, I'm off, and won't disturb you any more in your own private journal.

Sorry Antoine. I just prefer peace and quiet to constant bickering.

I'm sure the site didn't need another "F-35 controversy and pointless arguments" thread.

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 4

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3666644/Lightning-flies-rainbow-UK-s-100m-stealth-F-35B-jets-roars-Britain-touching-RAF-base-ready-flown-new-617-Dambusters-Squadron.html#ixzz4D1K1yeXm

I would say we could make a drinking game out of the factual errors in the report, but it would be a very quick way to get drunk.

I always find it quite scary when you read a newspaper article about a subject you know a lot about and find lots of errors. Makes you wonder how much is wrong in articles you read about subjects you don't know about.

• Like 2

I always find it quite scary when you read a newspaper article about a subject you know a lot about and find lots of errors. Makes you wonder how much is wrong in articles you read about subjects you don't know about.

:shutup:

It was 15 refuellings total, meaning 5 per AC.

Right over the house! Performing at Farnborough.

Cmmw2NeWcAA_Tid.jpg

© Colin Bullen via facebook

It sounds pretty awesome too. Not as throaty as the Typhoon before it, but makes a great howl.

• Like 7

Seems odd seeing one flying with the Blue Circle logo on it... Hope I get to see it soon, which I suspect might make up my mind about how it looks. :hmmm:

• Like 2

Seems odd seeing one flying with the Blue Circle logo on it... Hope I get to see it soon, which I suspect might make up my mind about how it looks. :hmmm:

I think that wholly depends on which angle you're viewing it from.

Hope I get to see it soon, which I suspect might make up my mind about how it looks. :hmmm:

I think it's a very pleasing arrangement of curves and straight edges.

• Like 1

Although I can see both sides of the argument, we always have this kind of divided opinion when a new aircraft is announced to replace a much loved predecessor. 20-30 years later, and everyone bemoans the now old aircraft's departure from service. It's one of life's certainties like death & taxes.

Perhaps this thread could be more of a tracking thread of the aircraft's development than a continuous battle between the pros & the cons. It does get tedious hearing the same arguments again and again, and no-one ever moves from one camp to the other, no matter how compelling the argument. One way or another it's coming whether you like it or not. :shrug:

• Like 3

Perhaps this thread could be more of a tracking thread of the aircraft's development than a continuous battle between the pros & the cons. It does get tedious hearing the same arguments again and again, and no-one ever moves from one camp to the other, no matter how compelling the argument. One way or another it's coming whether you like it or not. :shrug:

That was certainly the intention of the original topic starter! ;)

Pardon me this (last) intrusion, Mike and Alan, but a "tracking thread" of your definition belong more to a blog than to a forum.

To me at least.

And whoever on BM is interested in the aircraft can find all the related information all over the net.

Definition of forum in English:

A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged:we hope these pages act as a forum for debate

It's still an interesting topic to some Antoine, and you could always start up another thread on the more negative side to balance things out, if you're minded. Just keep within the "polite and respectful" remit and avoid politics at all costs :)

• Like 2