Wellington

bristol boy

Can anyone tell me how accurate the Warpaint Wellington drawings are? I'm a glutton for punishment and recently acquired a Maquette Wimpy 1c for £5, the fuselage looks quite accurate but the wings are longer than the Warpaint drawing, as for the nacels, well....start again. Oh and the transparent bits are not transparent at all but I already have Falcon set to replace them. Should be fun when I get around to it,

Thanks,

Neil

Who's the draughtsman for the Warpaint ? The series recycles a lot of the old Aviation News material, some of which was excellent, some not so. Some drawings are (were when published) new, but not all leave me impressed. Have you checked that the plan view is to the correct scale ? In case you happen to come across them, Alf Granger did a set of drawings of the Ic that were printed in Planes/Wingspan mag - I think his work is generally regarded decent at least.

acquired a Maquette Wimpy 1c for £5, as for the nacels, well....start again......

Thanks,

Neil

Hi

there are MkII nacelles available as a conversion, an easy way to replace the existing nacelles

i got my kit a while back, (off e bay), it came with a set of Mk II resin nacelles, not sure which make.

check e bay, or i think someone here on BM sells them as well maybe ?

cheers

jerry

Can anyone tell me how accurate the Warpaint Wellington drawings are?

They're not very accurate at all. These along with most other Wellington drawings match the Aircraft of the Fighting Powers' drawings and perpetuate the same errors. Take a look at a side view photograph of a Wellington and note the angle of the nose in front of the cockpit. On the plans it drops away quite sharply, whereas on the real aircraft it's almost horizontal. There are many other issues, but this is always my first test for any Wellington plans or kits. If they get this wrong, you know the information came from the same flawed source.

Most of the older Wellington kits match the AFP plans fairly well, which makes them all wrong. The old Frog (Maquette) Wellington is pretty grim and in addition to many shape problems, it's apparent that Frog never completed the tooling, there being numerous asymmetries where the mould for one side of the aircraft lacks the completed shapes of it's counterpart. Off the top of my head I remember these issues being very evident with the engine nacelle installation, but it's a very long time since I've built one of these. It was started in my teens, then eventually completed in my 30s and hung from my son's bedroom ceiling when he was very young - he's now 16.

The only trustworthy set of plans I've seen were published in the 4+ volume on the Wellington. The shapes are convincing against photographs from all angles. The Trumpeter kit matches these plans very well in most respects and is the only Wellington worth putting any effort into, in my opinion at least.

Cheers,

Bill.