Big As MAZ - DONE

RichO

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys for all the miniature comments!

Hey All,

I feel, after the holidays, things seem to going a bit slow.  I'm building, but just not so fast.

The cab build continues. I have permanently installed the seating and the inside of the cab walls.

The cab wall are simple shapes with a bit of a color change.

pn8pwlQkj

po0sPLBKj

Then I worked to finish the dashboard underside, and get this ready for install.  This is my Heater Duct for cab front window.

The parts...

po1QJvElj

I used foil from gum wrappers to get my finish on the ducts.

pmy1cML4j

I bend thick copper wire to the shape.  Then wrap thin wire around and secure.

poR2JLbej

Then wrap with the foil...Heater Ducts.

Just odds and ends for this report.  I'll be back later with a more comprehensive cab report.

Later All.........

• Like 4

Thanks Guys!

Hey All,

Today's report...still working on the cab.  I have managed to finish the, under the dashboard details.  The space is getting so tight that I have a hard time taking the photos I want, so you just have to go with what I have here.

The small details took a bit of time, but turned out fine.  The floor peddles are hard to make out here but I did build the fuel, brake, gear shifter, and E-brake.  The steering column took a day by itself.

pnZbIROVj

pnKmD5t1j

Wrapping the Steering Wheel...

pmqz3Xkkj

And then a few shots of the cab interior...

pm3OzwP5j

po06eHeMj

pmNk8JKej

I have a few more items to do, mostly with ageing the interior and generally making things a mess.  I'm just about to the point were I want to start on the closing of the cab. A bit more on my fitting issues, and then I start building the cab roof to close all this up.

Thanks for watching........be back later

• Like 9

Big burly hands like your's Manfred, might find the steering wheel a bit thin, but I think the Russians might find a way to manhandle it somehow.  I had to work with what I had on hand at the moment.  The next size up of wire seemed to big to me to use for a steering wheel.

Sometimes one has to make an executive decision about these things and just go with it.  When the cab is closed a person wont be able to see it much anyway.

Wrapping the steering wheel? wow!

Next up, what size tubes to use for the screen wash,

and how to fill the reservoir....

Rich, there's an English expression,

'I'm gobsmacked',

I think most if not all of us are.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RichO said:

Big burly hands like your's Manfred, might find the steering wheel a bit thin, but I think the Russians might find a way to manhandle it somehow.  I had to work with what I had on hand at the moment.  The next size up of wire seemed to big to me to use for a steering wheel.

Sometimes one has to make an executive decision about these things and just go with it.  When the cab is closed a person wont be able to see it much anyway.

Hi Rich, 

Big burly hands ..., you should know that I have delicate hands like a virgin. 00000016.gif

On the other hand you put so much emphasis on scale ad details, if I think only of your lots os many small screws and rivets. smiley215.gif

BTW, the copper ring one can see on the edge might have worked better, but that's all a matter of taste. top.gif

In such cases, I prefer to search until I find something suitable. up040577.gif

• Like 2

Manfred,  I tried the copper ring first up.  I thought it was a bit to big for me, and got even bigger when I tried to wrap it.  I used lead wire a bit smaller, feels better to me.  Thanks.

Thanks Pete.  You guys are great for following along!

Next up....Dashboard Shenanigans........

poE30fMmj

pmyZfehOj

Later All, Thanks.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All,

It's been a bit since I've posted so I'll get to it.

I had a slight stall waiting for material and tools, so I started with trying to get the geometry for the roof and nose.  I started a little work all over for a bit.

I'm still working a bit on the card mock-up of the roof, trying to get the bends correct.  More to go here.

pno7MqdUj

The Headlamp Buckets are also under construction...

pm94luA5j

pnEbmsrVj

I found a hundred photos of a Maz dashboard, and it seems, a hundred dashboard layouts.  The three kits I'm using for references all have very similar layouts.  So, flip a coin and go with it.

poE30fMmj

Drill out the corners, and cut...

pnBFqGmij

Always test fitting...

poTdmCBMj

poKZPzlij

Once I got the floating elements worked out, then it was adding the details.

pmVdnve3j

Fresh glazed Gauge Glass.  Say that three times fast...

pmmGj3oHj

pmgBe7Rbj

pmqKtNcYj

pnvEiMO5j

pncHOE5Sj

At this point, I'm sorta building a little bit, all over the cab at once.  I'm starting to consider the doors, and finalizing the Interior Roof plan.

Be Back Later All.....Thanks for Watching

• Like 11

Hey All,

Today's report is small, but important in that I have started with the final outside skin of the cab.  This part of the build is a matter of cutting a pattern then test fitting this several times until I get just the correct angles. Slow work but I think it will look reasonable in the end.

Once I got the nose skin into place, which was really easy, the rest of the panels have been a pain. I have several pieces that have compound curves that are quite nasty.

I started with the nose skin, and side panels...

pmWkh40Nj

Once I got the skin attached for these three pieces I peeled off the paper patterns  and got the seams ready for putty.

pozn8EHij

poSnL89xj

The curved nose piece is going to be a huge pain with several curves.  I have cut the piece into to parts to make the install somewhat easier.

pnPQ6RdCj

Once I got the bends just right...I hope.

poSnL89xj

You can see here that the dash slope to the window is a nice compound curve,  front to back, side to side, and top to bottom.

In this next photo I am fitting the Windshield Frame.  The same as everything else. Cut, test fit, recut...

pm0UNnsXj

I just thought I would show that not everything goes well all the time.  I have some major seam gaps and general fit issues to deal with here.

pnKIZvLmj

po7Jxvyfj

I also have a real nasty compound curve to fill in this corner at the bottom of the window..  Somehow I have to fill this space, with a curve that matches the nose skin and the window slant and the corner brace post...It'll get sorted tho.

Hope you enjoy the report,  be back later all.

• Like 5