Big As MAZ - DONE

RichO

Hey Guys,

I have been working on the hood locks the last few days.  I just thought I would show a failed attempt.

I have twelve hood locks to build.  Because I built the hoods to be opened and closed, I needed working hood locks.  I'm not so sure about the first attempt.

I first built an original and then cast the twelve sets of parts.  An unfortunate arrangement of parts in the mold...

pnRkqBhvj

Then it took forever to get everything separated and cleaned.

pnwcVLDtj

Once I got all that taken care of, it was time to put the parts together...

pnVIUgEWj

I drilled out the centers of the lock flanges to accept the wire for the lock.

pomHYLRzj

I think this is a fail because this is about as small as I can build with the styrene, but still looks way to big for the parts...

pnhUPBg4j

I really like the shape and how this turned out.  Just a bit to big for me tho.

pm3ZxdVUj

Plan-B will be an attempt to make the locks out of card.  I can cut very much smaller with less weight to the stock.  Also I can superglue the paper which turns the paper very stiff and rigid.

More attempts to come,  Later.............

• Like 3

I had to snigger at the unfortunate arrangements in the first photo, and I haven't a clue what a 'hood' is; don't you mean bonnet?

But seriously, the card could well give you the scale you want. Would styrene sheet and rod do something similar?

Hey Timmas,

What the heck is a bonnet?  I know, the same as a hood.

I did use sheet and rod when I rendered the original to cast from.

podVXJe0j

The sheet is 0.4mm thick and the two sizes of rod are 1mm, and 0.8mm.  A matter of logistics, these are to the point where I can't hold them to finish, or get them any smaller with styrene.

Thanks Glynn,

The casting of these small parts went well.  Perhaps I can try to sand these down a bit to get to a better size.  I'm working on the scale problem, but also moving on to other things.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, RichO said:

I did use sheet and rod when I rendered the original to cast from.

The sheet is 0.4mm thick and the two sizes of rod are 1mm, and 0.8mm.  A matter of logistics, these are to the point where I can't hold them to finish, or get them any smaller with styrene.

Ah, I didn't realise/notice that (my brain isn't as young as it once was). Whatever solution you arrive at Rich, the result will no doubt be spot-on.

• Like 1

Hey All,

A brief report today.  I have been working all over the build with a bunch of small stuff, but I thought I would show the stirrings of the cab build...

I really wanted to know how big the cab would be, and also what the final chapter will entail. So I started with the basic cab layout...

The parts...

pmkyty3Nj

This is the basic frame of the cab.  I will work out the details of the finished skin along the way.

pmbVswr9j

pmC8KwGhj

Always with the test fitting....

pmXKHqAYj

Doesn't look like much now, but it will soon look somewhat like a Maz cab. 

That's it for now, be back soon...

• Like 8

Actually no, Manfred.   For the heavy parts of the cab, the floor pan, back wall, and fire wall, I have used a .030 inch , 0.75mm sheet.  For the side walls and interior items I will use .020inch, 0.50mm sheet.  And some smaller items with .015inch, 0.4 sheet.  Most of the skinning will be .015inch, 0.4 sheet.  Just the "skeleton" is the heavy sheet.  I'll explain more as I proceed.  Thanks.

A craftsman at work, rich have you ever partaken in cabinet making or fine carpentry, the almost dove tail like joints on the cab suggests you may be just as good at inlaying a nice walnut veneer into a cabinet of oak, precision 

Glynn 

• Like 2

On 12/14/2017 at 10:27 AM, Hewy said:

A craftsman at work, rich have you ever partaken in cabinet making or fine carpentry, the almost dove tail like joints on the cab suggests you may be just as good at inlaying a nice walnut veneer into a cabinet of oak, precision 

Glynn 

Actually I've never done that, but if it's something I can hurt myself with, I'd like to try that.  Cutting the styrene hurts plenty, altho I haven't had a public bloodletting in a while. LOL

Thanks Glynn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Happy Holiday's All,

So the cab build is going really... strange, for me.  I have a weird sort of conglomeration of the several references that I have, and now I'm trying to get a grip on how I'm going to build this.

The Trumpeter kit has all the great detail that I want to add to my build, so using that as my inspiration to a finished end.  I have worked out an approach that might work

What I'm doing is I'm building three cabs and blending them together.  You have already seen the "hanger" or "skeleton" or "frame"...

pmXKHqAYj

pocbUoKOj

Above is the most basic frame, the first cab to be finished.  This will be the hanger that everything else will be supported by.  What I will now try, is to build the next cab.

The second cab will be built on the inside of the first cab.  I'm going to build the inside of the cab as individual components, and then insert each separately. 

pmaPjdcrj

por5AUpaj

Of course I did a bunch of test fitting.  This idea of the components will work if I get everything tight fitting to a finished state before moving to the paint shop.

pmhWESDHj

Then adding some details to the under side of the dash board...

I built the in cabin heater with some miscellaneous stuff hanging down.

poxVFaWRj

pnBXtRbJj

The next thing was to hide it all under were you can't see, under were the dash instruments will be.  This is just dry fit for now.  I will keep everything loose until I can't.

pmLqYd2Uj

pnOzagg0j

Things with the build have been slowed to almost, non existent, with the holidays here.  Everyone knows how that goes right now.

I'll post again when I recover.........Happy Holiday's Everyone!

• Like 9

I hope everyone had a plastic Christmas!

Hey All,

I have managed to get a little work done over the past week or so.  With all the beer and loud laughing not much really.

I did some more work on the cab interior.  You all know me by now, and how I build thing that no one will see.  I spent the time building the batteries that rest under the cab seats.

the cab parts so far...

pmLieABdj

building the batteries was simple enough.  In the non holiday world this would take a day to build, I must have spent a week...

pnOao2eHj

pnMx6swCj

pnMXJaXOj

That's it for now,  I'll be back when the next round runs out, after New Year's...

• Like 8

Hey Guys, I hope everyone had a great holiday season!!

Now back to work...The cab continues.

I spent what hours I could working on the cab seating.  it seems I spent a ridiculous amount of days building the seats, but in reality, it only took a few hours, just not all at one time.

I first had to fit the back wall of the cab.  A couple of openings and some trim, then off to the paint shop.

po3ccbTWj

pnYYYwJhj

The camera was full of holiday stuff, so I didn't get as many photos as I should have of the seat construction.  The sizing and placement went fine and the bench and side seat turned out fine.

pmzfh8L2j

I built the drivers seat as a separate unit.  The coloring all has to be weathered yet...

I made the basic form out of card, then applied the tissue and white glue technique...

po83BnFRj

png89BNVj

pm7SCnttj

Once I got all the seats constructed, it was time to fit to the cab...

pnMMfmOUj

pngpgxezj

poERF44lj

Now that everything is out of the way for a while I can concentrate on the rest of the cab.  I think the floors are next.

Until then All............

• Like 5

Those seats look quite comfortable by Russian standards as always amazing what details you put into the build  :yes:  :popcorn:

Best wishes for 2018

beefy

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hendie said:

if the exterior is as dilapidated as you are showing - surely there would be at least one tear in the seat covering?

Surely a square of foam gaffer taped to the frame? 

• Like 1

This is for all the old guys with bad eye sight, LOL.

poTrasKGj

If you look closely, you can see the support springs for the cushion, between the leather cover and the insulation batting.

pn17WfNjj

pmkuYxCVj

pmlBgn35j

The Driver seat...

pnM7Flphj

The details are small in the cab.  I'll show better photos with more details later...Next up,  photos for the hard of hearing...

• Like 6
  • Haha 3