Big As MAZ - DONE

RichO

Hey Guys,

The Big Betty Build continues...

I had a heck of a time this week trying to find a reference for the location of the cooling radiator for the Transmission oil.  The diagram below shows how things should be.

Трубопроводы гидротрансмиссии МАЗ-537

It dose not show the location on the truck frame of the items.  I searched for 7 hours over 3 days to find a hint of the location.  Tucked up under the frame that supports the fuel tanks.  People who take reference photos don't usually crawl under or inside the frame. Anyway, location found,.. the build continues.

I added more detail to the out side of the Transmission to the point that I am now ready to start the Oil Hoses.

IMG_2353_zpsnbhi3zem.jpg

IMG_2354_zpsc8lgbq51.jpg

IMG_2365_zpsztyhj3qi.jpg

IMG_2364_zpsim885goc.jpg

So now that I look at these photos this size I see a couple of more things to add...

The Fuel Tank frame...I had to jump ahead a bit on the items that needed building for this part.  The fuel tank frame has an oil filter ( item 8 in the diagram above) hanging on the back outside...

full view

And the oil radiator hangs on the front side of the frame, across from the oil filter...

IMG_2355_zps21cpetes.jpg

IMG_2356_zpstikv5ych.jpg

IMG_2357_zpssin6n6om.jpg

I made a card moch-up and placed the card at the location of the radiators to check size and clearance before I build. 

IMG_2360_zps7cqmovtb.jpg

IMG_2361_zpsncrmqttg.jpg

I will build the radiators and oil filter next.  I have to secure these to the fuel tank frame before I can get the hose runs for these.  However I will not attach the frame to the main truck frame at this time.  I will still have a bunch of junk to add under there.

Be back later boys with the next exciting chapter,  Rich

• Like 10

Thanks Kev as always.  Kris B,  thanks for checking back.

Hey All,

I just thought I would show this because it's going to get buried under everything.

I built a support rack, just simple angels...

IMG_2366_zps9q2xwefp.jpg

Then the radiators...again, simple angels and wire screen...

IMG_2367_zpsopfilnk9.jpg

IMG_2368_zpsqv3tylos.jpg

IMG_2369_zpsgcbqya1x.jpg

IMG_2372_zpskrlkhisl.jpg

Installed onto the fuel tank frame...

IMG_2371_zps1qnpctcj.jpg

I'll build the oil filter tomorrow, and start the hose runs...

Later, Rich

• Like 7

Thanks All,

Another quick update.

The oil filter build went with out any problems...

IMG_2373_zpsuivhescr.jpg

IMG_2375_zpsx4klqww8.jpg

IMG_2374_zpsgnepcjh0.jpg

I'm starting the first hose today, and I have a fear that I might be painting myself into a corner.  I have to very precise about where I locate things on the frame.  I have running board supports, wench  winch frame, and fuel tank frame to be placed exactly before I can secure the transmission.  Alto the photos show that the oil line are made from rubber hoses, I might not make mine out of rubber.  At this moment I'm trying to decide what I need to build to get the hoses started.

Later All,  Rich

• Like 3

Hey Kris B,   I'm a retired old guy.  I have all day to work on my build if I want to.  What you see is just a few hours a day.  Thanks for watching.

• Like 1

Hey Fellow Hosers,

I think I'm at a quitting point with the Hose install.  I still have plenty to do with the plumbing and hoses, I just need to secure some frame elements in order to finish connecting the hoses, and those things are a ways down the road yet.

Here's how things wrapped up...

Final shots of the Transmission out of the frame...I painted this at night,   so that would be Nocturnal Transmissions

IMG_2385_zpsccgkmt9i.jpg

IMG_2383_zpsxp2od3cp.jpg

IMG_2386_zpsvclj9sfv.jpg

IMG_2384_zpstoyd6pyk.jpg

Producing the hard piping got a little tricky at times.  I set the rods into a basic guide and heated to secure the bends...

IMG_2388_zpshmmg6ulj.jpg

Time to lays some pipe baby!...

IMG_2390_zpsgouwk0e6.jpg

IMG_2391_zpsydlamufi.jpg

I'm going to leave things like so for a while.  I have more stuff under here and beside this location for install.  

IMG_2393_zpsbk2gfdai.jpg

I'll be back with the next exciting chapter...what ever that is.

Rich

• Like 10

Hello Rich,

great compliment for the very interesting sequel of your scratch-build arts from your stunning Crawler project on this crazy model. hi.gif

And my Balsa-Jig-Pipe-Heat-Bending-Technique also serves you well, and as I see, speak_cool.gif you have observed it very well my friend. up040577.gif

• Like 1

Manfred,  It took me a time or two to get the bending just right, but things worked out just fine.  Thanks for letting me barrow this technique from you, it works great.

Rich

hey Guys,

A quick post for this morning.  

I took a day or two and built the mounting frame for the winch and tow cable.  I decided to stop here because I was going the wrong way with the build at this time.

The winch and cable along with the fuel tank frame, I built as a place holder to get the spacing correct around the Transmission.  The direction of the build was heading vertical, and I still have a ton of stuff at the bottom of the frame.  So I stopped here and will get back to these components when the time is right.

I sort of got involved with building this, so only a few photos.

The Winch support frame...

IMG_2394_zpsejdunk5q.jpg

IMG_2395_zpsytfankyc.jpg

The construction of this support frame was really straight forward...just angles involved here.

IMG_2398_zps2ww9mali.jpg

You can see how things at the bottom of the build are starting to get buried.  

I'll be back later today with the next chapter,  stay tuned...Rich

• Like 3

Hey Everyone,

So this build has been getting scarrier as I proceede with all the items to construct  And this morning I awoke to find that my nightmare is just starting with this build.

It's time to move to the engine bay...If the Transmission was a world unto itself,  Then I have just discovered a new universe...

IMG_2396_zpsiz7vuj8q.jpg

IMG_2397_zpsgt5izccl.jpg

and all the support systems...here are a few...I need to finish plumbing the oil cooler..

Трубопроводы гидротрансмиссии МАЗ-537

Fuel lines...

Схема топливной системы двигателя МАЗ-537

Air filters...

Воздушный фильтр и аварийный останов двигателя МАЗ-537

Water cooling...

Схема системы охлаждения двигателя МАЗ-537

This is just scratching the surface, sure don't ya know..it seem to go on for ever...

I have to start at the very bottom of things, so the first thing is the mounting braces from the engine block the the main frame.  I first need to build a basic engine block to use as a place holder while I get thing spaced properly.

I'll be back sometime shortly with the start.

Rich

• Like 5