Big As MAZ - DONE

RichO

Hey Guys,

Round two went great!  I had fresh supplies to work with, and I spent a bit of time getting the mold built correctly.

IMG_2168_zpsakup2u4x.jpg

IMG_2167_zpsqpqgpdta.jpg

A new resin tire...everything looks great.  

I'll be back with more later...Thanks All,

Rich

IMG_2169_zpsa2c8xedw.jpg

IMG_2170_zpsiwmdyypp.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks Guys, for watching this build.  Were having fun now!

John-w  All I'm going to do at this point is sand the contact treads to simulate pressure when I clean all these up for install.  This tractor wont be loaded, so not to much bulge.

Richard,  I use "Alumilite" products.  The rubber and resin are by the same co. It works great for me.

Be back soon with another update,

Rich

• Like 1

Hey!,

This is sort of a short report for today.  I have been spending most of my time dealing with molds and castings.  In between all that i have working on the braking system and trying to find photos of the braking components.  

I started with building the air tanks...

The tank mounts...

IMG_2173_zpsvdiubywr.jpg

IMG_2179_zpseqpyys6a.jpg

I used a bit of clear straw for the main tank body...

IMG_2180_zpsmhpdq8fo.jpg

IMG_2181_zps6dnrubn5.jpg

IMG_2182_zpsznznzi4s.jpg

New air tanks.  I'll run the lines when I get ready to do the install.  While my mold are drying I have also started working on the compressors for the line and trying to find photos of how the line is laid out.

I have finished with casting the wheel fronts.  I have some cleaning up to do, and then these are ready for install.

IMG_2183_zpsau8wxhvw.jpg

Thanks everyone for watching,  be back later

Rich

• Like 7

Air tanks looking good Rich, also castings look like they don't need to much to clean up :like:, how much do the wheels and rims weight?

Regards

Richard

• Like 1

Nice work Rich.

it looks like your resin is starting to go off though.  My last batch went like that.  I think the reason was because one of the bottles started to get encrusted around the threads.  I've been using my latest batch now for many, many months, and each time I pour, I rub a piece of kitchen towel around the threads to clean them off - this seems to have done the trick and kept the two parts usable for much longer than my previous batch

• Like 2

Richard,

These things weigh about a kilo each!! (LOL).  The resin wheels are a bit heavy for their size, I don't think I could mount the tires and then pick up the model without doing some damage to the suspension.  I'll have to display this secured good to a base.

Hendie,

I have found that the resin I use has a shelf life of about 6 months.  Then the sediment collects at the bottom, and even with a good shaking, I still get the little flakes.  I keep a roll of paper towels handy to wipe the nozzle each time, but just messy business.

Thanks Guys for watching!

• Like 1

Hey Guys,

So I left off with priming the air tanks.  I managed to get them installed and weathered.  Altho I might make things a bit dirtier under the frame.

The install was easy enough.  The air lines were in a cramped space, but I managed to get everything secured.

IMG_2189_zpsdyd4iq6u.jpg

IMG_2190_zpsbmmo1ia8.jpg

That was fun.  OMG! The pumps had way more parts than what they looked like they should have.  I spent a week just on these two items...what a slow process...

Parts...

IMG_2184_zpskf4v6bp7.jpg

I had to get a little creative again about the pump body.  My striped straw ( I have about an inch left to work with)  on the inside and a clear straw on the outside, to get the correct outside DIA.

IMG_2185_zpsit5xsacv.jpg

IMG_2186_zpsaohhltnq.jpg

IMG_2187_zpssyilx3og.jpg

Two new air pumps...

IMG_2188_zpsz2gtipvy.jpg

I next have to build the Moisture Separators for each pump.  I have to work on the Braking System before I can install the back side of the wheels.  Once the wheels are in the way, things get real tight space wise.

Thanks for watching...

Rich

• Like 6

Thanks Pete.

Hey Kev,  It wont start until I make the keys.

Thanks Richard...time to get back to the crane...

Stick around Wogga,  I have a long ways to go.

Thanks everyone,  Rich

Hey Guys,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    I have now completed with building the braking components. I felt I wanted to finish off the interior braking items, all the stuff inside the frame,  before I get back to dressing the tires.  I now have two air tanks,  two air pumps,  two filters,  and the brake actuator.

The filters...

IMG_2192_zps5abhpn10.jpg

IMG_2193_zpsa1iogawf.jpg

IMG_2194_zpsroz4vu5d.jpg

The two Air Tanks...

IMG_2204_zpsu6q8eh0t.jpg

The two pumps...

IMG_2188_zpsz2gtipvy.jpg

Lunch...

IMG_2199_zpsex3egvmy.jpg

The Brake Actuator...

IMG_2198_zpsiuoir84n.jpg

IMG_2201_zpsbnfjskcd.jpgIMG_2195_zpsikcpv7tq.jpg

IMG_2202_zpsal7legm1.jpg

IMG_2203_zpsw0m12fen.jpg

All together now...IMG_2205_zpsflepncwz.jpg

The install of these items is really straight forward...and then the plumbing between the items...

Be Back Later,

Rich

IMG_2197_zps9skwkvzr.jpg

IMG_2196_zpscrigcemc.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks All,

So while researching the brake run I discovered an interesting item.  I'm guessing some of you guys already knew about this and you were just waiting for me to run over myself with the bad info.

The MAZ has an Oil Brake system, not air.  I have built two oil tanks, two oil pumps, two oil filters, and an actuator.  I also ran across a MAZ factory oil run layout schematic. (for some reason it wont let paste it).  I used the MAZ drawing and then I drew my own oil run to scale with my build, using several photos from the junk yard to see where and how the line go.

IMG_2207_zpscua86jyu.jpg

IMG_2208_zpsyvyzbqb4.jpg

IMG_2206_zpsbbz5zfit.jpg

Now that I have the proper info, I have to figure out where the lines are connected on each item, and how to render the line connections.  At this point I'm spending more time researching than building.

IMG_2209_zpsqiswxgpb.jpg

Be back later when I get things worked out.

Rich

• Like 6

remarkable work as always Rich.    The tires look great against the chassis.

I was thoroughly enjoying catching up with your post until I got to your "lunch" photo.... I have a hospital visit tomorrow so I'm not allowed to eat anything all day today.... now I hate you!

You are a joy to follow Rich, you must have the patience of a saint to continually produce consistently good quality parts in the fashion that you do. Your crawler was just awesome and what you are doing here is no surprise whatsoever.

Well done sir.

• Like 1