1/72nd Tamiya Thunderbolt Mk.II,,...was 73 OTU,...now, HD265, RS-G of 30 Sqn, SEAC 1945

Hiya Folks,

I hope that I`m OK joining in,.....I`ve got some Hurricane`s and a Corsair on the go in the other GB`s so I thought in for a penny in for a pound as there are some Thunerbolts that I`ve been wanting to get built too. I`ve spent the day painting the interior and here is how it stands so far;

DSCF7309_zps6tatacfn.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2

Very interested to see this one Tony!

Rob

Cheers Rob,

It is going to be this aircraft hopefully,........I researched it for the Xtradecal RAF Thunderbolt sheet.

222444-c5fb2c18b5165338e3fb114491b6a6e8.

It`s the one at the bottom;

X72152_2.jpg

Ever since I came across a piccy of it I`ve always fancied building this one,

Cheers

Tony

Edit,......the plan has changed,...it was to have been a 73 OTU aircraft,.....but the model is the wrong variant.

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Good morning Tony

Welcome aboard , nice choice but as I can see on tge decals sheet this one is a D-30 you will need the Quickboost wing conversion and Qb fin fillet (wich doesn't fit exactly) ..

Patrice

Cheers Patrice,.

I can live without the wing conversion (although I`ll look into what you`ve highlighted and see what is needed to convert it myself ) and I`m already there with the fillet as I`m using one from the Revell kit! Here is my progress so far;

DSCF7396_zpsbjjl3nuc.jpg

A closer view of the cockpit;

DSCF7395_zpsrqcwdvym.jpg

and here is a close up of the Revell fin fillet;

DSCF7397_zpspve8twto.jpg

Cheers

Tony

PS- As my Revell model has the D-30 wing, I may built that one as the 73 OTU aircraft instead, depending on how the Revell cowling looks as this is the Achilles heel of this kit.

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 3

Thanks to Patrik`s advice I`ve looked into the D-30 variant and decided to build my Revell kit as the 73 OTU aircraft instead and build this one as a SEAC machine,...so I`ve prised the dorsal strake off this model and added it to the Revell kit!

Cheers

Tony

Hiya Folks,

Well here is my progress today,.....wings and tailplane on,.......dorsal strake from the Revell kit removed,........I`ll be building this as KJ278, NV-K from 79 Sqn;

DSCF7402_zps9fmbwhif.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

Thanks everybody,

Well I`ve got the first coat of Dark Green disruptive camouflage applied;

DSCF7438_zpsfrcjaqxw.jpg

So getting there slowly, I chose a dull Humbrol 29 Earth Brown for the base colour as like a SEAC Hurricane that I built recently I wanted to represent a slightly sun bleached look,.....rather than a richer more yellow looking more standard Dark Earth.

All the best

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 5

Hi Tony, sorry it's taken so long for me to welcome you on board to this GB, but I have to admit I haven't looked at the base thread for this GB for a week or so and I now see I've missed a few late entries!!!

Nice colour scheme choice as well, the SAEC Thunderbolts do looks so good.

I do like the sun bleached look you're going for as well.

Yeah well I would normally say good luck with the build but you're way past needing any luck with this one, she looking great. So I hope you do enjoy the rest of the build and I look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,

Here is a quixk update,....the camouflage is now finished,......just about to mask off the noe for the white cowl band;

DSCF7443_zpszayenxr8.jpg

Although decals are provided for the white bands on the wings and tail I might paint these too?

Cheers

Tony

• Like 4

Hiya Folks,

Well I`ve added a coat of clear varnish ready for the decals and painted the engine cowling band white but this crept under the masking tape quite a bit so I`ll have to do a bit of re painting here. I`ve been a little wary of the decal option for NV-K as I`ve suspected the codes of being too fat and the K being the wrong and that they should also be white! Well a friend sent me a photo today and one of the Thunderbolts wears the codes NV-K and they are white, much thinner and the K is a different style to the decals,.....with no unit badge on the left side of the engine cowling,......so what to do now?

DSCF7459_zpsiljdmt49.jpg

I might just go for AW-P instead,....yet another change of identity for this model!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya Folks,

Well I have run out of time,....and changed my mind on this one again,....eventually settling on a 30 Sqn aircraft which is provided on a Rising Sun decal sheet,...here it is with most of the decal applied;

DSCF7743_zps0l1ruvcj.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3