Airfix 1/72 Avro Lancaster B.111

OK nice build.

But the canopy frame is painted black.

I think it should be the same colour as the camouflage;

In this case dark earth and dark green.

Or am I wrong?

Good night. Polo.

Nice first attempt at airbrushing. One tip I can give you. You can see that under the black striped decals on the wings there is some trapped air making them look silver on the clear sections. Before you apply your decals spray the model with a clear gloss varnish. Then apply the decals, then spray with a matt varnish until you get your desired effect.

All in all a first attempt to be proud of.

Some of us haven't even been brave enough to get the airbrush out of the box let alone use it............

Great job, lots of tips from people on here, so every day is a school day !

Cheers Pat

Great first effort with the airbrush, these bombers are never the easiest things to build at the best of times.

Couple of tips - I always prefer to mask the camo off at 1/72 scale and always worth investing in some decal solution to help settle them down on the gloss varnish.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

OK nice build.

But the canopy frame is painted black.

I think it should be the same colour as the camouflage;

In this case dark earth and dark green.

Or am I wrong?

Good night. Polo.

I think you and I must confess masking it etc i might have hurried the finish. may be right in painting instructions it looked black,

Nice first attempt at airbrushing. One tip I can give you. You can see that under the black striped decals on the wings there is some trapped air making them look silver on the clear sections. Before you apply your decals spray the model with a clear gloss varnish. Then apply the decals, then spray with a matt varnish until you get your desired effect.

I agree, but I did airbrush it with model air gloss twice, and i must confess the Humbrol gloss would have been better, cant explain it myself, but I was concious of it after.

Aside from her minor imperfections I think she's a lovely build :) I've got one in my stash I'm dying to build and hope mine turns out as well. Guessing this was quite the learning curve :)

Lovely :D

It was indeed and I must admit at times I was nearly giving it all up, but still I got her finished.

Great first effort with the airbrush, these bombers are never the easiest things to build at the best of times.

Couple of tips - I always prefer to mask the camo off at 1/72 scale and always worth investing in some decal solution to help settle them down on the gloss varnish.

Cheers

Simon

I was going to mask but I thought freehand would give a softer edge.

For masking I always use blue tack sausages rolled out nice and even between two old tiles and mask the rest off with Frog tape. So long as you don't point the airbrush directly at where the blue tack meets the surface of the model you get a soft edge, if you spray from over the mask area rather than against, the edge gets softer. One other thing I discovered early on with an airbrush is that you need to cover absolutely everything you don't want to get paint on, otherwise a misty haze of paint will get everywhere.

Perhaps the reason gloss varnish did not stop the decals from silvering is because the paint needed thinning more, if the mixture is to thick then the paint finish sometimes has a powdery dusty texture to it. If this happens you can sometimes take the paint down to a smooth clean finish by rubbing it down with a rough paper kitchen towel or a super fine abrasive, basically anything rough enough to buff away the unwanted paint without being rough enough to touch the plastic will do.

Nice model mind you. By coincidence my first attempt with an airbrush was on a Lancaster, and yours looks way better than mine did.

Edited by old thumper