WESTLAND WESSEX HU5 ROYAL NAVY SAR 1/72 scale

Fellow Modellers,

Finally had some time to photograph the first finished example of a series Westlands Wessex helicopters..

As extras are added the Cobra cockpit and interior. Almost completely empty with just a few seats

Thanks to Mr. Evans from Whirlybird I was able to add the extra long range fuel tank to the port side.

This little gem adds so much importance to the model.

It will be accompanied in a diorama by Bedford Tactical Refueller and some figurines.

Excellent decals from L Decals Studio and the box decals from Italeri.

The FOD cover is constructed from MiliPut. RBF tags are from Eduard.

Paints as usual from the Xtra Color range.

It represents XS484, 771, RNAS Culdrose 1984.

I would like to thank all the forum modellers that contributed to answer all my questions. As for example, the discussion about the yellow rotor blade

Next, the RAF version.

Regards,

01.%2Bweb..jpg

bedroom%2B017.JPG

bedroom%2B034.JPG

bedroom%2B019.JPG

bedroom%2B037.JPG

Edited by Orion
  • Like 46

Wow that is a lovely Wessex indeed.I have 3 72s to do plus a 48th version.Think you have done a lovely model!!!.

Richard

That is absolutely stunning - lovely finish and I like the extras. If I may make a couple of points of constructive criticism, Italeri have moulded the tail rotor the wrong way round, it should rotate in the opposite direction to the way they have moulded it. Also the Italeri instructions are incorrect regarding the bulged window on the port side - it should be foreword of the two rather than the rear. Not too late to correct them if you were so inclined.

Pat

A terrific looking Wessex. Great paintwork and detailing. Is this the Italeri kit? I have it and the old Matchbox one in the stash but I know neither of them are going to turn out as nice as this.

Hi Orion,

A lovely bit of modelling of a truly iconic helicopter which excelled in the SAR and many other roles. The paintwork is great but what's wrong with the incorrect RBF tags etc between modelling friends ha ha. and I look forward to the diorama. I built a Matchbox one and is best viewed from over a metre but Wifie thinks it looks lovely so the Seal of Approval was given!!! Keep up the excellent work. :goodjob:

Hello Modellers,

In the first place, thanks for all the positive and constructive remarks.

Surely a boost to continue with the Wessex 1/72 production line.

Indeed, this model was from Italeri.

As mentioned, the longe range fuel tank was from Whirlybird. (ordernr. WBA72143)

The RBF tags are from Eduard. As I understand form one of the contributors, The RAF/RN are using different RBF tags. Please inform me where I can find these items in metal.

As mentioned, next one the RAF HAR2, in a diorama with a Severn Class lifeboat

Regards to all,

Orion

Edited by Orion