curtis tomahawk IIB

Hi chaps.

This is going to be my entry for the group build. The venerable curtis tomahawk.

DSC_0209_1.jpg

The paint brush seems to have gone missing though, so will rob one from the wife's starter set!

Never tried brushing a large area camoflauge scheme, so will be fun.

Will put up a pic of my other tools later, so I don't fall foul of the rules.

Matt

As promised, a shot of the tools I'll use...

DSC_0210.jpg

Tape, a knife, tweezers, cutters and a sanding stick.

Hope these are ok. Please let me know if they're not, and I'll change them out.

Matt

• Like 1

I'll be watching this one. I built this up last year and used all modern luxuries. That Sharkmouth proved difficult then, might be an idea to cut it up? These Tomahawks build up nicely. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

Hi chaps.

First update.

After a long drive to skegness yesterday, decided to gave a relaxing evening building and painting.

DSC_0215.jpg

DSC_0214.jpg

Painted the sidewalls of the cockpit and glued the fuselage together.

DSC_0213.jpg

DSC_0212.jpg

Assembled and painted the basic cockpit, plus glued the wing upper surfaces on. I didn't paint the instrument panel, where the decal fit, as I thought the glossy plastic would help the decal fit. Decal didn't want to stick to the plastic, so ended up putting a thin layer of tube glue on. The decal stuck nicely to this.

DSC_0216.jpg

This is the best I could get the lower cowel/intake to fit, there are a few small gaps.

That's what I managed to get done in about 3 hours. Also managed, due to my clumsiness, to snap the control column.

Next up glueing the fuselage to the wings.

Matt

• Like 1

Looks like a good start to the holiday in Skegness! What more could you want when you've got some bracing modelling!! The gap doesn't look that bad. I've noticed on mine where there are places where I would normally have got the filler out! I think I'm going to leave them rather than use the Humbrol tube glue to fill them - I think I'd just end up with a mess!

Hope the holiday continues to go well.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Stix, I don't know if you know skeg well, but went in today to go to the model shop on high street, or chip pan alley as the locals call it.

It's now closed down, and has been redone as a blingy fashion shop.

A shame really, as it was quite a good shop. I only went in last year.

I asked some locals in a café, and they said the owner retire, but I also heard he'd passed away.

Matt

I do know Skeggy quite well but it's been a while since we've been. It's a real shame another model shop has gone. Did you manage to get anything from the blingy fashion shop? :winkgrin:

• Like 1

I do know Skeggy quite well but it's been a while since we've been. It's a real shame another model shop has gone. Did you manage to get anything from the blingy fashion shop? :winkgrin:

Nah, it was shut.

• Like 2

That's a very neat coat of paint but I wouldn't worry too much about the colour - I don't think Airfix did much in the way of accurate colour matching for these Starter sets - for example - the colour callouts for their 1/72 Hurricane are different in places in the starter set from the one in the standard range.......simply because they use only the colours provided with the set.

• Like 1

I've decided, after reading some of the kerfuffle in the ww11 section, that airfix have indeed supplied a fair representation of azure blue.

Been mapping out the camo outlines tonight, and it would appear that they can't even get the demarcation right on the back of the box. The plan views don't Match up with the side elevation shots, so I'm making an educated guess.

I've got the first couple of coats of desert yellow on, after scratching my head over the layout of the camo.

DSC_0227.jpg

DSC_0228.jpg

DSC_0229.jpg

Still think it might need a few more coats. I think I overthinned it.

• Like 1

Been mapping out the camo outlines tonight, and it would appear that they can't even get the demarcation right on the back of the box. The plan views don't Match up with the side elevation shots, so I'm making an educated guess.

Its just non standard from in-theatre maintenance. That what I always say.

• Like 1