curtis tomahawk IIB

Had a similar camo issue on mine the views dont seem to line up so a bit of fudging is needed. The yellow looks pretty good be good to see how the brown works with it.

• Like 1

I'm back.

Finally got round to painting the opposite camo colour.

DSC_0222_1.jpg

This is with 2 coats on, might need another yet.

The brown doesn't seem to want to paint as well as the desert yellow, or the azure blue.

Thanks daz, but it looks better in the pics, than real life.

Yet to tackle tge canopy. Are we allowed to mask them? Or free hand only?

Matt

Edited by S5 modeller

Hi guys.

It's been over a week since I touched this kit, but I'm back in the saddle!

DSC_0003.jpg

Main undercarriage and legs assembled ready for fitment. Airfix were kind enough to provide weighted wheels with this kit, and the outer hubs were separate as well. Made for an easy time painting them, no messy overlap between the wheels and the hub!

DSC_0002.jpg

Started the rail wheel, painted the tyre black. Once that's dried, I'll attempt to paint the hub and leg blue.

DSC_0001.jpg

Final job today, fitting the miniscule, fiddley gear doors. One decided to ping out my tweezers, but I got it back. Will paint them when I paint the tail wheel blue.

That's all for now, waiting for bits to dry, then the decals. I'm dreading them as the desert yellow went on nice, but the dark earth looks like I've spread it on with a trowel.

Matt

• Like 2

Still got the canopy to tackle too.

For some reason, airfix have dropped two sets of transparencies in my box. Bonus, means I have a spare to fall back on, should owt go wrong.

Glad I've got 2 darren, as I've tried masking one, and cracked it!

Think this time I might glue it on, to make it less flimsy, then try hand painting it. The framing is very well defined, so hopefully it won't be too much trouble.

Edited by S5 modeller

• 2 weeks later...

You are so right about the canopies! I cracked part of the canopy of the first new tool Airfix kit I built...

I still had in mind the ever so thick "canopies" found in the old Airfix kits: you hardly ever could see your efforts spent on the cockpit through the "clear" parts,,,,So the new canopies are a blessing, flimsiness and all! Except when one starts cracking...

Good luck

JR

• Like 1

Right chaps.

Made an effort tonight, and got the decals done.

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

Most went on ok, just a little trouble with the sharks mouth, it didn't match the curves too well, and overlapped a bit. The small area around the intake didn't fit.

Just the landing gear, exhausts, propeller and canopy to fit now, plus a few paint touch ups. This kit paint certainly likes to become detached from the plastic easily.

On to the final push now, as the sunday deadline is looming large in my rear view mirror.

Sorry about the quality of the photos, couldn't get the lighting right.

Matt

Edited by S5 modeller

Nearly there. Just waiting on the canopy paint to dry.

This is where I'm at. She's on her legs, the prop is fitted. The wing cannons have fell victim to my ham fistedness, as a couple gave snapped off! The radio mast is a bit wobbly too.

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

The last 2 shots were taken outside, the sun was a bit bright.

Matt

She's done!!!

DSC_0026.jpg

Just don't look too closely at the canopy.

Had fun building her, but if I did it again, there are numerous things I'd do differently.

More pics in the gallery.

Hard to believe this us only the second kit I've managed to finish, since restarting the hobby.

Matt.

• Like 2

Hi Matt. Well done on finishing your second model! : thumbsup: I don't know why you're being so hard on yourself - you've done a great job! Well done.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1