WILLIAM BROTHER POLAR STAR

Recently finished the nice little Williams Brothers 1/72 Kit of the Northrop Gamma converted by Ellsworth for his (ultimately unsuccessful) Antarctic Expedition. It's a fairly simple kit which comes with various versions but, curiously, didn't include the skis which can be seen on the real plane in the Air & Space museum. However, after using few slabs of plasticard to make the leg spats I worked out that the "park bench" style ailerons which come with the kit (but aren't used on this version) were about the right size for the skis, once they'd been bent up a bit. Normally a dedicated foiler, I went with ratllecan chrome silver on this one, partly because there were a lot of compound curves which would have made foiling difficult but mostly because I was feeling lazy. It came together nicely in the end: https://www.flickr.com/photos/96171173@N05/albums/72157665960630706

• Like 8

It was a real pleasure to see your build of this airplane. It's a beautiful airplane. It's a shame there's not a 1/48 version, I would have enjoyed building this airplane in that scale.

Thank you for sharing your build with us.

Andy, you'll get many more viewings and comments if you post your photos here, rather than ask people to go to another site. Some of us may also feel lazy, y'know… ;-)

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Joachim - hadn't tried that- can you just paste the jpegs into the page?

Superb job Andy- I'd be happy with that finish if I tried my very best- yet alone having a lazy day! I do like these Williams Bros kits, the restrained raised detail is just right, and the final effect of slightly lipped skin panels is way better than much that could be done with modern recessed detail in my opinion.

You can make your Flikr images appear in your Britmodeller thread quite easily

1) Upload images to Flikr just as you have already done.

2) Click on the uploaded image- you will see a small arrow icon in the right corner- if you hover over this it says 'Share Photo'. Click this arrow.

3) This opens a window which gives you three options- Share (i.e. on social media), Embed, and BBCode. Click BBCode

4) Copy the link that is now displayed (you can also decide at this point how big you want the photo to appear)

5) Paste the aforementioned link in your Britmodeller thread

like this!

25210341354_93a0c54ae4_b.jpgIMG_0151 by ANDY MORRIS, on Flickr

Oh and I just noticed the rigging on the skis, very nice!