A couple questions about Desert Storm Tornadoes.

TOPGUN-ROB

Have a couple of quick questions as I'm thinking I'd like to do one of these.

1) Were the Tornadoes in Desert Storm the GR.1 type? Where there any GR.4s?

2) If I were to purchase the 1/48 Revell IDS Tornado, can I make it a GR.1? If so, what would I need to change/add/delete/etc to make it a GR.1?

Thanks very much!

Rob

Edited by TOPGUN-ROB

1) Yes, GR.1. GR.4 flew first time in 1997, so no GR.4 in desert storm

2) You mean this kit? https://www.scalemates.com/kits/176266-revell-03987-tornado-ids From what it's in the box, I would guess yes, apart from the decals. Many parts in the Revell instructions are blacked out. There is a review of it here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234962872-panavia-tornado-ids-148/ .

Alex

Allan Bottoms describes how to build a GR.4 from this kit in the November 2014 issue of Model Airplane International. It seems most of the parts are there. I have to admit that I don't know what's different between a GR.4 and the GR.1, but I figured I would point this out since you may know the difference. Allan mentions that most of the parts are included for the GR.1 under-nose targeting gear.

Cheers,

Bill

Seems it has

I think that the weapons pylons in the Revell GR4 are more suited to an RAF aircraft than their IDS kit. When I get around to building an Op Granby Tornado GR1, I will be using the Revell GR4 and not using the GR4 only stuff to make it a GR1. I think that the instrument panels maybe slightly incorrect, but I could live with that.

Just looked at the sprue shots in the above link & it looks like the lrmts is included. Perhaps someone that has the kit could confirm?

Hi, Chacer,

Oddly enough, the "solid" plastic part is there, but the clear glazing in front is not. Only in the GR boxing. Even more oddly, the bulge for the German ECR variant is neither. There is somewhere in this very site a very knowledgeable discussion on the matter of the differences in the ventral pylons (though focusing in the 1/72 kit, I think; in that kit, the GR boxing has some additional parts that represent the different ejection mechanism in them). I should check if the 1/48 kit followed the same path.

Fernando