Kitty Hawk 1/48 Sepecat Jaguar GR.1

Gulf War /Op Granby Jags were GR1A's with added modifications which included the overwing pylons for aim 9l sidewinder missiles, also a single aerial behind the canopy as opposed to the previous twin aerial fit. The desert pink colour scheme was painted over the normal camo finish so next to no stencils could be seen, ejection seat and canopy release markings were about it.

Technically speaking, the Op Granby Jags were designated GR1b with supplements added to the APs to highlight the differences. Jag 96 became the GR3 & T4, with Jag 97 becoming the GR3a

John

Excellent perseverance Sid!

Lovely kit isnt it....? :)

Regards the engine covers trimming of bits to fit, Im pretty sure youre looking at the same areas that I found needed work, do be careful that the centre piece sits flush with the two side pieces though - I over looked that and found the centre piece sits proud of the sides if that makes sense.

I dont recall my test fit of the screen not being right though, let me check the bin, I mean long term storage area, and check it again... youve got me extra "KH Jag scared"!!

EDIT - checked the windscreen on mine and it fits the original, unworked kit ok, needs a little sanding of the bottom so the front fairs in nicely, but thats all. Odd that yours doesnt sit the same way.

Edited by RMP2

Keep at it!

Looking good for all your work. Those Aires undercarriage bays are definitely a thing of beauty.

A note on the ejection seat though. The seat you've got is a 9B Mk2 that the Jag had originally. By the time of the Gulf, this had been updated to the 9B Mk3, with a larger more square headbox.

This contained the main parachute, where as on the 9B Mk2 it was in a back pad container.

Rob.

Technically speaking, the Op Granby Jags were designated GR1b with supplements added to the APs to highlight the differences. Jag 96 became the GR3 & T4, with Jag 97 becoming the GR3a

John

GR1b was the designation of the 10 aircraft modified to carry TIALD in 94. Then used for the former Yugoslavia ops.

They had the square MPLCD cockpit display screen that was put into the T4's when the GR1b's were updated to GR3a.

GR1b was the designation of the 10 aircraft modified to carry TIALD in 94. Then used for the former Yugoslavia ops.

They had the square MPLCD cockpit display screen that was put into the T4's when the GR1b's were updated to GR3a.

You're quite right of course, got mixed up over my conflicts :)

John

Though I have the BL.755's I am now in doubt whether or not to use the more common 1000 punders..

Are these 'regular' Mk.84's?

And is there a correct 1/48 9B Mk.3 seat for sale?

Mk82s, 83s, 84s etc are a US bomb and not used by the RAF, even in the Gulf.

You could fit some US CBU-87 cluster bombs though, the Jags did use those in the Gulf as well as some US rocket pods - the CRV7 pods.

Otherwise, for iron/GP bombs I think you could rob them from an Airfix RAF Tornado, like the one I have here... ;) Theyre not great, but I think theyre the right shape. Oh, Ive glued and painted them, just looked. Theyre spare if you need them anyway.

Of course theres always the option of laser guided bombs too. They look naughty on a Jag. :)

• Like 1

Both Pavla and Neomega make resin 9B Mk3 seats.

The Pavla version looks the best. There are accuracy problems with straps and hoses on the Neomega one.

http://www.pavlamodels.cz/katalogy/detail.php?k=seats&c=S48010&styl=styly.css

Some are available on evil bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pavla-S48010-1-48-Resin-Martin-Baker-Mk-9B-Seat-for-Jaguar-/330916794637

Hope this helps.

P.S. RMP2 is correct on the British 1,000lb bombs. Totally different from the US type.

Rob.