Revell 1/72 UH-1D SAR - Complete!

Ok so I have decided I am going to build another whirly thing for the group build and I am going to build the Revell 1/72 UH-1D that I was going to add to the stash, this will be being built as the hospital version with all the stretchers etc. I certainly do like my Hi-Vis schemes!

I was going to use parts from an etch set I had in the stash hence its appearance in the photo but I have since decided to hold on to the etch for a "slick" build in the future.

Obligatory box and sprue shots:

25711774312_c02056510f_b.jpg

Edited by Synopsis
  • Like 5

Good to have another Huey in the GB.

That looks pretty much the same kit as my UH-1H 'Gunship' boxing. I did hope this was a new mould, but it looks like the same kit with some new sprues for stretchers etc.

Are you doing the Luftwaffe version on the box lid? Should look very smart in the camo scheme and the dayglo door.

Will enjoy following along.

• Like 1

Hi Smudge

I think the kit is based on the old Hasegawa moulds? My intention is to build the camo/dayglo scheme, well one of them anyway as I think theres a couple of options in the box for similar schemes.

Cheers :)

Ahh so it is a new tool, i wonder how much of the tool was reworked if it looks the same as the Gunship? The stretchers etc look pretty good. I started painting a few parts for the cockpit etc but not had much time this week, hopefully I will get to my bench tomorrow evening and I will get some real progress

Edited by Synopsis

• 1 month later...

Ok so this build kind of got side tracked by my first ever Star Wars build, a snow speeder if you are wondering, why not if you weren't wondering, but I'm happy to report that it is finished so my attention has come back to this. Now then As I mentioned above I want to build it as the ambulance version with all the stretchers, well I figure the stretchers will make it look more busy inside so why not.

Now this has left me with a question, of the 4 birds you can build this kit into, would the choice of ambulance version lead me to select any particular one of the airframes when it comes to decal time or were the stretchers etc often swapped round depending on deployment/operations/etc. I know this seems like a daft question considering how far away decals are but this is an example of the silly little things that my mind likes to fixate on and it will annoy me till I find out.

I have very little knowledge when it comes to helicopters and even less German ability, anyone point me in the direction of a nice source of reference on this at all please? In the mean time I'm back off to my bench to get painting all these lovely stretchers

• Like 1

Whilst waiting on stretchers drying I was looking at photos of the aircraft the decal sheet covers to see if I could see if any had a full stretcher set up and i noticed the vents on the engine housing on the kit are not consistant with images i found on the net.

Heres how the kit looks:

26210586794_542fe89d7c_b.jpg

On all the images I could find the two vents towards the rear of the engine housing should be flush not recessed (it actually seems they're actually just perforated sections of the housing. The vent at the front of the engine housing on the kit has the slats running horizontally where as the images I can find show they should be vertical. Now I must admit I am not normally bothered by stuff like this when building but the more I thought about it the more it started to annoy me. (I blame my recent visit to Perth and looking at all the lovely detailing on things like Nigels helicopters there lol :yikes: )

So the plan is with the rear two vents is to put masking tape over the two vents and cut a template in masking tape much the same way I would mask up a cockpit then peel this off and stick it onto some Eduard 4x4 mesh PE, cut this roughly to shape with my tin snips and use the diamond file to fettle into shape. Paint the recessed area black and then fit the PE, if i need to build it up flush I could cut some tiny strips of HIPS/Plasticard to pack the PE out to the right level I suppose? I can then remove the horizontal slats with some careful scalpel work or I suppose I could get the dremel out the back of the cupboard suppose and then make new ones using HIPS again. Does this sound like the right way to go about this? I have never done this type of modification before so I just want to make sure I am on the right track! :mental:

• Like 2

Hi Synopsis, nice to see this one started.

You are correct about the mesh being flush with the engine housing, and not recessed as in your picture of the kit. Sounds like a good idea to replace the moulded detail with some nice PE mesh. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

The vertical slats seem to be correct for German and some other later in service Hueys, well spotted.

• Like 1

Thought I would just drop some photos of the cabin built up, haven't started to tackle the vents on the engine housings yet, need to pick up some HIPS from work.

26807753181_9d0f8e7e3e_b.jpg

26875338675_6da40be570_b.jpg

26271087753_7c43f5a4b7_b.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had much time at the bench because of work but I have corrected the vent issue, heres a pic I took whilst I was waiting for glue to dry, I will give it a bit of a tidy up and some putty to blend the edges of the mesh a bit better. Isn't it amazing how the smallest jobs seem to take the most amount of time

26522849733_3456f89648_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I forgot to get some photos but I have put the two halves together and am just needing to do some work on the main seam before paint. Also need to figure out a way to protect all the interior detail during paing as the windows and doors aren't attached at the moment and I can't decide if I should fit them prior to paint or not!

So here she is waiting for paint, I actually managed to get her fully masked and the first of the 3 colour camo on last night. I did that after I had realised I had but the tailplane things on the wrong side and removed and swapped them round (they're still the wrong way round in the photos below lol) I should get the paint finished tonight, decals on tomorrow afternoon and maybe final varnish late saturday night or sunday morning so she should be complete for the deadline.. just about anyway!!

27299059450_74da3af557_b.jpg

27503262491_915a90f08f_b.jpg

Edited by Synopsis
  • Like 2

Well I made it just about, had a minor disaster with one of the win1 dows going missing so I had to scratch a replacemet pretty quickly. I think she turned out quite nice though!!

27533093932_8c5050f529_b.jpg

27022149294_e1dd4d47ef_b.jpg

27023242483_abaea87111_b.jpg

27023242393_62be9355f4_b.jpg

27632576915_cbcc310c27_b.jpg

• Like 2