Airfix 1/32 E-type Jaguar - Finished!

I appear to have over thinned my red paint slightly. This will require many coats. Pics soon.

Been there, done that!

I slightly over thinned the white paint on my Tomcat and it needed 8 or 9 coats to get some 'depth'. Only good thing about acrylics is that they dry quickly enough to get 2 or 3 coats on each evening

Craig

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to seeing the photos - hope the next paint layers go on well!

Not as much as I do. At present its patchy at best.

So back to this after a week or so off. As noted above I've probably got the paint a little thin but its coming along. Goes on a wierd pink colour but dries very nicely.

3rd coat...

DSC_0127_zpsksxhqkcc.jpg

And 4th along with the masked and first coated windscreen and roof. Lost my tamiya tape tonight. Minor panic. Located now though.

0e0b9a0a-ca95-47c4-96d6-2ea185031db5_zps

Once the body is painted and number plates are on there's just a couple of touch ups on the wheels and its done. Taken longer than expected but getting there.

• Like 3

The colour is coming in nicely now. Aiming for a Saturday finish but that may slip depending on possible overtime at work. Got to be soon anyway.

Hi Stosh,

The car is looking good - I've enjoyed watching it. However, the painting must be challenging. Has anyone suggested buffing the finish with a cotton rag?

Anyway, the finish after the 3rd coat just looks like someone has parked the car outside for the last twenty years (at least that's what happens in around here).

Regards,

David

It is. Unfortunately some cat interference over night has led to a couple of large chips in the bonnet. Progress feels very slow at the moment but I will get there.

David, I remember reading that somewhere but I'd forgotten all about it. Will give it a go.

• Like 1

Bit of a rush to the line in the last couple of days but that's what I get for taking a week off to tour Copenhagen (lovely city) in the middle of the build and then skiving for a week after that. Its done what was intended though, I had fun and took the chance to kick it old school and basic. Finish is not great but the humbrol gloss acrylics are not great to begin with and I then over thinned it. Cars kits are a bit more intricate than I expected, I may well return in the future and do a proper job of one.

DSC_0129_zpsda0x4dc3.jpg

More pics in the gallery. The number plates don't seem to be to scale.

Edited by Stosh65
  • Like 1

Very nice work on the Jag, Stosh,

It's been great to see a car being done in the Starter Set GB. I'm now tempted to pick up an Airfix car kit myself.

Regards,

David

• Like 1

That's very nice indeed! The red had come out well. Isn't it like the Jaguar in the original The Italian Job' that ends up over a cliff in Italy?

Don't push it over a cliff ;)

Best regards

Tony

Edited for spelling

Edited by TonyTiger66
  • Like 1

I was watching Thunderball last night and there's an E-type in these colours parked next to Bond's DB-5 at the 'health spa' place at the start.

Lovely machine.