Airfix 1/32 E-type Jaguar - Finished!

So going for something different in honour of this as I've not seen any aircraft starter sets that particularly interest me and I'm feeling the need to shake things up a little.

DSC_0113_zpsuukyxduz.jpg

Fresh from hobbycraft last night. They've been out of stock for ages but popped in last night and it was sitting on the shelf! Huzzah! So to the sprues.

DSC_0114_zpsqwnzvfbn.jpg

And my cut down tool kit. I believe everything in here is legal?

DSC_0115_zpstkqzeczb.jpg

Looking forward to this one. Should be a laugh and a nice change from winged subjects. Trying to get a push on with my Hurricane for the STGB but I may put that to a side to get this done. It'll depend on progress this week and how I feel come the weekend.

Edited by Stosh65

I didn't think I was breaking any rules. Is it in my favour that everything apart from the tape is borrowed or otherwise acquired?

I didn't want to do a plane, as I say there was nothing interested me and the boats were all too wee. Didn't like the modern cars so here we are.

For some reason, I have the Aston Martin BD5 kit in the stash, but even just thinking about trying to 'brush' the top colour left me feeling rather faint!

But I am properly jealous of you - 6 colours and 2 brushes is the stuff of dreams.

Best of luck

Craig

• Like 1

For some reason, I have the Aston Martin BD5 kit in the stash, but even just thinking about trying to 'brush' the top colour left me feeling rather faint!

But I am properly jealous of you - 6 colours and 2 brushes is the stuff of dreams.

Best of luck

Craig

I'm not going to lie, that featured heavily in the choice.

Should be a cheap penknife (Blunt) a roll of Woolworths tape and a sanding stick nicked from your mothers makeup case.

I hope you are planning on using proper wooden clothes pegs. What are the clippers for? You are supposed to twist the parts off the sprue.

• Like 1

The nail file, tweezers and indeed clippers are pinched from my wife's jewellery making tools.

If clamping is required wooden clothes peg are what I use anyway but I wasn't going to the kitchen at the time.

Lol same thoughts here! Would need to 'interperet' the rule on paint scheme straight from the box. But would've only used paint in the kit though. I was thinking 12 year old with other size Austin Powers etc. probably a washing up bottle rocket in it somewhere as well

• Like 1

Although I know these must be built OOB, I now wonder whether there are a/m resin Austin Powers figures

David

Now that is a good idea. One for the future methinks.

Lol same thoughts here! Would need to 'interperet' the rule on paint scheme straight from the box. But would've only used paint in the kit though. I was thinking 12 year old with other size Austin Powers etc. probably a washing up bottle rocket in it somewhere as well

The kit colours don't cover the blue for the flag unfortunately. A washing up bottle rocket would require a resin Dr Evil as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Been beavering away with this. My wife is currently studying for her masters in education and needs the laptop most evenings and my tablet won't let me post pictures so updates have been a problem this week. Anyway, progress so far.

I didn't realise how intricate this would be, building chassis and suspension parts was unexpected.

DSC_0118_zps0nmlfxdx.jpg

Started painting. The paints are better than I remember but just don't want to cover on the first coat which is distinctly strange. The second coat goes on very well though and the finish is decent, particularly the leather parts.

DSC_0119_zpsshoyqern.jpg

I added some more pieces, including the brake discs and wheels without thinking about the problems of painting. So thats something to overcome later. Before I close up the body I'm going to go back and drybrush some silver over the detail parts to pick it out.

DSC_0120_zps1uketjbb.jpg

So this is the current state of play. The instructions say to paint the whole wheel silver and tyre black but again I'm going with dry brushing the silver over the detail parts. I think (hope?) that will give a far better finish.

DSC_0122_zpsxqa9i1ni.jpg

I've got a pre-season game with the football team tomorrow and then I'm off to Copenhagen for a few days the following week so that's probably it till next weekend but I'll continue working over this wekend where I can.

• Like 3

That's a nice looking kit - the detail looks very good - and you seem to be mastering those paints! I've not got onto the paints yet! - not looking forward to them, to be honest, although the matt ones in Mrs PlaStix's kit seem okay but the white gloss looks horrible. Those seats look to have painted up really well.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix. The paints have surprised me as well, although as I said it's a kit I've not seen in stock for a while so these may be a relatively new batch. The detail on the kit is great for what feels an older tooling although there are ejector pin marks everywhere. What I wouldn't give for a bit of proper filler.

• Like 1

(Psst, it's the wrong kind of Jaguar. :P)

Hey, interesting to hear about the state of paints from all these kits. There's been a trend or two. Hopefully your red is smooth.
Do you have an option for the canopy up or down? (I can't even spy a canopy part on the sprue)

It's in the little bag. I'm not opening it for fear of losing the head light cover which has detached itself from the sprue. But it's roof up only unless you are more skilled than me with knife and saw.

Been playing around with this over the last couple of days since returning from holiday. The interior is all painted and I've put the body together. Some touch up work to do on the wheels and then we'll get the body painted but it feels like I'm on the home stretch now. The fit where the upper and lower body parts meet is horrible, big lip left on the side so I'll have to do a bit of sanding first,

DSC_0124_zpsqn0vmu97.jpg

It does a least look like a car now.

• Like 2

Looking sharp! Nice car.

Hope the brush painting goes well on the bodywork. Might be worth thinning the paint, and adding a couple of drops of washing up liquid. It helps immensely.

Matt