Ultimate Acrylic Primer - Black, Grey & White

Mike

2 hours ago, Ultimate Products said:

Hi Mike

Sorry to hear you've had a bad experience.  To be honest, there must've been something wrong with the plastic itself for this primer not to adhere to it as this is the primary function for a primer!  I can only assume that there was mold release agent or similar contamination on the plastic.

Again with the peeling, this will solely be down to not letting it cure for long enough.  As our primer is a self levelling polyurethane primer, it needs time to cure sufficiently enough to fully allow sanding and other rough treatment.  We recommend that it is allowed 24 hours to cure before sanding.

All the best

Lee

I had peeling as well but i discovered my flaw in the process and that is that i cleaned my model with alcohol...

When i used white spirit to clean a had no peeling at all and since then i use white spirit an had great results..

Cheers, Jan

14 minutes ago, janneman36 said:

This is the same paint as the Badger ones that i use!

You can clean it with ipa or anything else with alcolhol in it!!

And it is preferred to use a large nozzle like a 0,5 but i had great results with a 0,3 and simply thin it with water if needed.

I also used Vallejo flow improver and can be used as well ...

Cheers, Jan

I use the this aswell and agree with everything in this statement except cleaning, for me if it has gone off in the slightest then cellulose thinners is necessary to shift it.

I also find it brushes well both wetter or as a semi dry brush technique.

Best primer I've use.

Dave

• Like 2

On 06/04/2018 at 11:23 AM, Graeme H said:

I bought some about a year ago, only tried it once, didn't work that great at the time, but that could have been my old airbrush

Curious to know what is the best to clean the airbrush after use?

Hi Graeme

We recommend you use our own cleaner - Ultimate Airbrush Cleaner - You can get some here - https://www.umpretail.com/collections/painting/products/ultimate-airbrush-thinner-cleaner-bundle

All the best

Lee

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Chaotic Mike said:

Hah! I'm an idiot, it was Vallejo primer that wasn't doing it for me! Maybe I should try Ultimate, then.. The thinners and cleaner are pretty good. 

Mike

Hi Mike

Glad to hear it wasn't our product :)

Could you do me a favour a change your original post for me?  Would be much appreciated...

And yes, definitely give ours a try, you certainly won't be disappointed :)

All the best

Lee

I recently tried it and followed the instructions closely by using a 0.5 needle and I also set the pressure higher up to 25psi. The primer looks too thick in the airbrush but it went on flawlessly and although it looked a bit uneven initially it settled down very quickly (that'll be the self levelling) and once dry could be sanded and feathered back without any problems (It will stand up to being buffed smooth too). Once fully cured it will not come off with handling etc.

It does need thorough cleaning from the airbrush though. I used the Ultimate airbrush cleaner which did the job but had to use quite a bit to get the airbrush spotless even immediately after use. I would not leave it in the airbrush for any longer than straight after use but that is the same for any primer to be fair.

My days of decanting Tamiya Primer from a rattle can are over.

Duncan B

• Like 2

Yes as Duncan says above, I have sprayed it neat from day one but use an iwata neo 0.35. 

It is thick and goes on heavy at first and you are like ‘nooooo where has all the detail gone..!’ But then it dries real quick and shrinks back to beautiful smooth flat finish that seems to make everything crisper. 

I have also recently started brushing it here and there when spot checking seams during sanding work. Levels off great then too :) 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

I'll have to try brush painting it for spot checking, currently using Mr Surfacer for that.

Duncan B

Yeah its not too bad. Need to put it on thick in a dabbing motion or needs a couple of coats if trying to obscure say white filler on grey plastic to get it uniform enough to check it over. 

Then when dry I flat it down/smooth it out with 2400 & 4000 emery cloth before spraying over those areas and the whole kit if all is good. 

• Thanks 1