Boeing 747- 400 'Landor' & 747-8 'Pan Am' - Queens of the Sky

Afternoon folks. My two favourite airliners are the 747 and Concorde but for years I have struggled to do a decent job on 1:144 kits with most of them now having been binned off!

So last summer I decided I needed to have another go and take more time at getting it right. I had already bought the Revell 747-400 and the Zvezda 747-8 but I didn't want to go Lufthansa on both so started to loom around for other schemes. As luck would have it someone was selling the Landor decals on Ebay so I bought hose and cracked on with the Revell kit. It is as it is so any errors are mine but I am pleased with the result although it is far far from perfect! The kit itself is pretty awful and I hope one day Zvezda will do a version of the 400 as I enjoyed building the 747 8.

As regards the Zvezda kit that was an easier build and the engines are excellent. Of course there are not many users of the 8 but I happened to be on the Draw Decal site a few months ago and noticed the Pan Am 747-800 FLIGHT OF FANCY decals and immediately I ordered them! I love the Pan Am scheme and will get more of these to do other airliners in the future. These decals went on well broadly speaking although the blue colour is a little patchy but this may well be how I applied them as I hadn't worked with these kinds of decals before.

I used Halfords appliance white for the Pan Am and Revell and Xtracolor enamels for the Landor scheme.

I will do some better pictures at the weekend so bare with these!

chris

2016-03-15_11.11.07.jpg2016-03-15_11.11.41.jpg2016-03-15_11.11.35.jpg2016-03-15_11.12.08.jpg2016-03-15_11.32.07.jpg

Edited by Skyhunter66
re-link the photos
  • Like 27

As you say, the Zvezda kit is a pure joy. You have made the Revell kit look easy too though - very nice work. Two beauties.

As long as you have no large dogs or children in the house, I think you have found perfect coffee table art.

Cheers,

Mike

Nice models,didn't expect to see a Pan-Am -8 when I woke up this morning!

Btw some alien died on you patio after throwning up grass (top photo)

• Like 1

Hello,Chris - The '747' and 'Concorde' are also my favourite jet airliners.This pair of '747's look absolutely superb in my eyes.They are both beautifully built and finished models and resplendent tributes to this majestic aircraft. ;) All the best,Paul.

Many thanks for your kind comments - much appreciated.

I am happy to confirm that it is not an alien in the top photo! Indeed it is my dog Fred's toy Zebra. Although to be fair he sees it more as a sex toy!

So need to think of a next airliner project. Draw decal do the Pan Am scheme for the A380 and the Dreamliner...!

Chris

Two 747s ! It can't get any better. :wow: The 747 is also one of my all time faves and I enjoyed every flight on them.Sadly so many of them are being phased out recently.Hopefully some more airlines and former 747 operators will come to their senses and order the -8I instaed of the plastic Airbus A380

Top work on these two beauties,esp. on the Revell -400.

The PanAm livery looks spot on on the 747-8

• Like 2

Two cracking models here Chris!

Does the stand come with the Zvezda kit - if so, presumably you sourced another for the BA version?

I'd like to build a BA 747 but not sure if I'd go with the current livery or the Landor - I always felt that this one somehow looked the best.

Regards

Mike

Two cracking models here Chris!

Does the stand come with the Zvezda kit - if so, presumably you sourced another for the BA version?

I'd like to build a BA 747 but not sure if I'd go with the current livery or the Landor - I always felt that this one somehow looked the best.

Regards

Mike

Thanks Mike and yes I had a spare Zvezda stand which I used from a previous disastrous build!

Chris