A Turkish Eindekker - Eduard's 1:72 Profipack E.III

Hi all,

Whilst waiting for the paint on the Roland to dry I decided to start a quick OOB build of the Eduard Fokker E.III. This kit is streets ahead of the Airfix Roland - everything matches the plans perfectly, including the positioning of the wing ribs!

I am in the process of upgrading my collection and replacing some of my early efforts, built when I first re-entered the modelling "arena" about 5 years ago. The Roland C.II is one of those early efforts, but my very first one, built with only the meagre supplies and tools that I purchased at the same time as the kit, in my local hobby shop, was Revell's Fokker E.III -

20160314_163219.jpg

it did its job, but it's not very pretty - time to upgrade! The Revell kit is also a little off - it's ok spanwise but is 1mm too narrow in the fuselage and 5mm too short.

I'll be building this one as Buddeke's Turkish aircraft and will finish it in a red-brown colour as suggested in the Datafile. My reasoning for going for that instead of dark green or grey is that the British were known to have used red-brown in the Mediterranean theatre, and I'm surmising that they got the idea from the Turks and used it because it worked! Plus it'll add a little interest to the subject!

In the box: 1 sprue of parts, one PE fret, painting masks, and decals...

003_50.jpg

004_36.jpg

I did get a pic of the sprue but I cleared my camara's stash and forgot to upload it....nothing really photogenic anyway!

After a couple of days I already have the cockpit done and the fuselage buttoned up...

005_22.jpg

006_17.jpg

The engine and Spandau are also complete, with their respective PE parts attached...

007_8.jpg

008_3.jpg

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 4

This was supposed to be a quick OOB build...it hasn't been my week! I mixed a red-brown that i liked and sprayed body, wings, tail and wheels and it came out really nicely. I was very pleased with it...you know what's coming...

I then went to mask off the fuselage to spray the nose section and slightly misplaced one of the kit's masks, so I removed it...along with the paint! :-[

I left it for a day and this morning I took the opportunity to tidy up the seam down the spine a little, then rubbed down the paintwork so there were no raised edges. I then sprayed the aluminium on the nose and cowling.

002_76.jpg

I'm not even going to touch it until tomorrow now, then I'll mix up another pot of red-brown and respray the rest of it!

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 1

I got around to repainting the red-brown today and then managed to remove the masking without taking any paint off!

003_51.jpg

Result! :yahoo:

Ian

A day of decaling today, on this and the Roland. The wings are just resting in place for the pic, but it's certainly looking smart with its black squares on!

003_52.jpg

Ian

• Like 2

Thanks Col, I wanted to have at least one Ottoman Turk aircraft in the collection, so here it is!

.A little more progress today. Got the undercarriage and a few more bits of PE fitted.

20160327_171612.jpg

I hope to get the undercarriage and wing-warping rigging on tomorrow, maybe the engine and cowling too....

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
I seem to have been sidetracked from this one by the RE8

A good part of that can be put down to the fact that after applying the decals, I noticed that the fuselage and tail squares were not square...on one side only! For some reason, Eduard had printed one each of the tail and fuselage decals as rectangles, instead of squares....they were a good 1mm longer than they were high. How I hadn't noticed before I don't know, but it was pretty obvious once I actually looked at them! Since I had mixed the paint for the fuselage, I therefore had to try to remix it to match.....

Fast forward a few weeks.....I finally got around to fixing the paint and decal issues. I repainted the fuselage and used aftermarket decals, then touched in with paint to get the white field all the way to the edges.

Next up was adding the Spandau, king posts, engine, and cowling, then rigging the undercarriage. I have also made a start on rigging the king posts......

002_93.jpg

Hopefully I can get this off the bench fairly soon now!

Ian

My final project today was getting this ready to fit the wings. To that end the king post rigging was finished and the wheels added.

003_68.jpg

I think I have thought of a workable way to rig the wings correctly - the two front supporting wires joined together just before the attachment point on the kingposts, so figuring that one out took a while. The plan is to roll the 2 wires together and glue them before attaching them to the model...we'll see how well that works very soon!

Ian

The rigging plan seems to have worked! Instead of rolling the 2 wires, I tied them with another piece of rigging line at 2 points, about 6mm apart, and then ran thin CA along the section in between the tied points. When dry the ends of the tie pieces were removed with a scalpel and the completed pair were CA'd to the top of the kingposts.

002_98.jpg

All the forward rigging lines are attached top and bottom. Once the wings are dry I'll thread the ends through the holes in the wings and secure them. Then I'll do the wing-warping wires.

thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 1

I got the wings rigged today, then added the tail feathers and skid....

001_105.jpg

002_99.jpg

003_70.jpg

Tomorrow should see this one off the bench. I just need to rig the tail, and add the prop, windscreen, and steps.

Ian

• Like 1