In the beginning was Future ...

Jonny

Well, that's what everyone, especially those 'over the pond' called it. Then it became Klear. Then - at least the European side of the pond - Pledge.

What is the current name, particularly in the UK? I've looked in High-street supermarkets and all I've seen is floor polish, available for either stone or wood floors. Both look quite dark and I don't think would be suitable for our needs.

Is there a Future / Klear / Pledge alternative available in the UK?

Suggestions & advice (polite ones please) very welcome ...

Jonny

Humbrol's "Clear" (now, how on earth did they think THAT name up?) varnish has had some good reviews (I've not used it myself). According to urban myth, Humbrol got some of the old Johnson's Klear and effectively "backwards engineered" it to produce their own version.

You can still find the old stuff on E-Bay, but it goes for some truly ridiculous prices.....

Hope this helps.

Chris.

PS: The new Johnson's Pledge (with Future shine??) is available in a number of shops in the UK. There are some very long-winded videos on Youtube, which claim that it is identical to the old stuff, apart from smelling a lot nicer. IIRC, it is sold in a blue bottle with a red cap.

I always recall Klear as an "alternative" to spending hours "bulling" your best boots in the Army, although I NEVER used it myself it was rumoured to turn your boots blue should they get wet....and now it has re-appered as a modelling accessory.

Oh yeah, it was never an extortionate price either!!

Nick

• Like 1

I always recall Klear as an "alternative" to spending hours "bulling" your best boots in the Army, although I NEVER used it myself it was rumoured to turn your boots blue should they get wet....and now it has re-appered as a modelling accessory.

Oh yeah, it was never an extortionate price either!!

Nick

I thought' Tornado nose cone paint' was the thing.. :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Are you using this stuff? Is it as watery and self leveling as my ever decreasing bottle of the good stuff?

Yes. By "functionally identical" I meant identical, functionally. I can't detect any difference. It even smells the same.

Edited by Work In Progress

This stuff is functionally identical to "old school" Klear, and the bottles are much bigger too.

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/20286/Quick-Shine-Floor-Finish

Are you using this stuff? Is it as watery and self leveling as my ever decreasing bottle of the good stuff?

Yes. By "functionally identical" I meant identical, functionally. I can't detect any difference. It even smells the same.

Hi chaps - I've been using Quick Shine for a few years now - in fact I "may" be the discoverer of this stuff!!

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/35896-guys-i-may-have-found-a-replacement-for-futureklear/

In general I've found it to be an excellent alternative, though I would say the finish is just a tad "softer" than 'Klassic' Klear :)

I use it to thin things like Tamiya acrylic, Xtracrylix, Citadel acrylic paints too when brush painting - a job at which it excels. It's not quite as good at bringing a glint to canopies, but it's close.

I have to admit that I've switched to Tamiya X22 clear cut with Mr Self levelling thinner for glossing up my models of late, purely because it airbrushes so well, however I still use Quick Shine everyday for painting. Its just as good as Klear for 95% of Klears uses I'd say after several years of use - so if you do see some give it a try!

And it's a damn sight better than the Humbrol stuff IMHO

Jonners

I have just found out that Humbrol Clear is also very good for polishing floors. :fool:

• Like 1