Italeri 1-72 Kamov KA-52 +++FINISHED+++

Thanks a lot for your kind words MH, I appreciate it.

It really is a cool looking aircraft, isn't it? Menacing like the Apache.

Killingholme posted a picture a couple of pages back (Post #34) that has a rather cool scheme on it, and no yellow lines either! Though it'd be a lot harder to paint than my all-over Anthracite.

At the moment, my favourite part of this aircraft is that fact that it doesn't have a tail rotor, which means I still have somewhere to hold it by when I need to! :)

J.

P.S. How's the Pegasus coming along? I did the Galactica a couple of years ago, no lights, but a *lot* of decals!

Edited by Jasonb13
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot for your kind words MH, I appreciate it.

It really is a cool looking aircraft, isn't it? Menacing like the Apache.

P.S. How's the Pegasus coming along? I did the Galactica a couple of years ago, no lights, but a *lot* of decals!

I think this looks much better than the Apache IMO. The only thing I'm not over fussed on though are the twin blades. They resemble the blades of a radio controlled helicopter. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it just comes across a little too toy like in that respect.

In regards to the Pegasus - well, it's stalled again while I try to find some more attention for it. I'll go back to it again one day and resurrect the thread from the dead once again. But thanks for asking

MH

Tah dah!

Well, I finally got this finished, after nearly 3 months! A last push this evening got me over the finish line. Unfortunately, the last stage was also the most disappointing one, as the rotor head structure isn't as straight as I'd like, mainly 'cos I decided to leave it free to rotate (the kid inside me there!) and that means it wobbles. Ah well, nothing I can do about it now...

Anyhow, before I got it finished I had a little fun with Aluminium tubing:

45%20Tubing_zpspkcurc66.jpg

On the left are the two new pitots, and on the right some 'extensions' I gave to one of the steps, as it was hitting off the gun, and those extensions, painted Anthracite, gave me the clearance over the gun that I wanted.

It'll be at least a week before I can get some good pictures, but I wanted to take a couple to show that it is finished! So here they are, sorry they're not great quality...

46%20Finished%201_zpsl3facx14.jpg

47%20Finished%202_zps5vqs2lce.jpg

I am rather happy with it, I have to say, rotor head not withstanding it's probably my best build. Thanks to everyone for their support, with a special mention to Will for his excellent Pressfix Decals suggestion and to Nigel for his Rocket Pod! I'll do my best to get some proper pics for the Gallery before next Sunday's deadline. Thanks a lot...

J.

• Like 5

Thanks a lot! Definitely a fiddly build, she's got so much hanging off her she's like a Christmas Tree! ☺But I really enjoyed the mental exercise of figuring out the next steps.

By the way, I think I can fix the 'not-straight' rotor head assembly, does anyone know the easiest way to remove a little superglue?

J.

Superglue is softened by acetone (nail varnish remover is how I get mine) but be careful as it also attacks paint. I'm also not sure how effective it would be down in a join.

• Like 1

Once again, thanks Nigel. All I want to do is remove the top two pieces - the 'radar' dome (which I've since realised shouldn't be on this model as the Demonstration model picture doesn't have it) and the piece it sits on. Then I can straighten that piece and I'll be much happier with it! Just a dab of Nail Polish remover might help, and I'll be cleaning up the joins anyhow so a little touch-up of paint won't hurt! ☺

J.

• Like 1

Just a quick update. I'm back after a lovely week away, and I got the top of the rotor assembly removed last night, tidied up and re-painted, and then re-glued this morning, and it's now straight and not annoyingly crooked anymore! ☺

So it's officially finished now, and I hope to get up some pics later this evening, though they'll be indoor pictures and probably not great.

J.

• Like 1

Well, here we go, the final pictures. I thought I was lucky as I had a chance to take photos out in the daylight, but they turned out badly (maybe because of the plain white background I was using?). Anyhow, that's something for another day. Here's a geansaí load of photos (as we say in Ireland). I hope you don't mind me posting so many of them, but I am happy with how the build turned out! I'll put up just a couple of them in the Gallery as well.

Thanks, once again, to everyone for the help, support and kind comments, it was a most enjoyable GB! :)

J.

48%20Finished%203_zpsi8ossjwa.jpg

49%20Finished%204_zpso8srakgu.jpg

50%20Finished%205_zpsheyvordk.jpg

51%20Finished%206_zpsquxw0kzo.jpg

52%20Finished%207_zpsfjspt0bq.jpg

53%20Finished%208_zpsi30eoscv.jpg

54%20Finished%209_zpsx8byjrja.jpg

55%20Finished%2010_zpsut5nn0q6.jpg

56%20Finished%2011_zpsg566y6ax.jpg

57%20Finished%2012_zpsgw76mohb.jpg

58%20Finished%2013_zpsmpipvrro.jpg