Airfix Mustang IV - all done 25/03

specky

Hi guys,

since I appear to have a surprisingly large number of starter sets in my stash, it would be rude not to give this a go...

003_zpsz5n5txtu.jpg

.....and since there's no silver paint to try and brush, should be a piece of cake!

005_zpsdlcqsubg.jpg

More to follow

Craig

Edited by specky

Having signed up for this, it occurs to me that I have some questions that, maybe, I should have asked before :banghead:

Can we dip the canopies?

Can we use masking tape?

Can we use decal solutions?

Hi specks I am going to get the rules up later but dipping canopies is a no and the same with decal solutions sorry but a bit of masking tape, a knife, sandpaper and cutters,yes. Sorry if it sounds harsh but we're going back to basics on these

And don't forget don't start yet lol

Hi specks I am going to get the rules up later but dipping canopies is a no and the same with decal solutions sorry but a bit of masking tape, a knife, sandpaper and cutters,yes. Sorry if it sounds harsh but we're going back to basics on these

And don't forget don't start yet lol

Thanks for the clarification - gosh, this really is 'old skool' isn't it?

Now I'm really starting to fret about the 'sharks mouth'!

No worries, I always pay attention to the start date - although I do, sometimes, get the start time wrong!

Cheers

Craig

Edited by specky

Masking Tape? In my day we used sellotape or brown parcel tape.

Back when I was 9 or 10, with eyes like an eagle and no years of coffee induced tremors, it was all 'free-hand' - but I need all the help I can get now!

• Like 2

Hi guys,

since I'm still up and about, it seems rude to ignore this.

I've relocated this build to the coffee table in my lounge to avoid the temptation of Tamiya Extra Thin, Perfect Plastic Putty, enamel paints and so on, but as I don't have a tray, I'm afraid I'll be slumming it with an off-cut of MDF.

002_zps6ipnkoec.jpg

Sprues were soaked in soapy water last night but now I seem to have mislaid the transparencies, so if they've fallen on the floor, first thing I'll know about it is when I stand on them! :banghead:

Plan is to splash a bit of paint around the interior, but not too much (those pots look awfully small) so in the morning, I can crack-on with nailing it together - which might be easier than using 'tube' glue!

More to follow

Craig

The paint actually goes quite a long way, especially if you thin it, which you'll need to do anyway. Best way to deal with the tube glue is to put a puddle of it down on a bit of foil or a bottle cap or whatever, then use a toothpick etc to transfer it to where you want it. Same procedure for long joins, the working time is long enough to give you time to get around the edge. If you don't quite make it, a quick second coat seems to revitalise things, and you can get on with joining parts.

• Like 2

Hi guys.

Despite taking the precaution of reading the wip's from the previous Starter Set GB, I really wasn't prepared for just how 'evil' these paints really are!

Thinned with water, the 'snake-skin' effect is really not what I was looking for...

003_zpsdrttcwcd.jpg

....although it does, eventually, cover, the issue is 'surface tension'(?). A drop of washing-up liquid into the 'thinner' (aka water) jar kills that and allows it to cover without 'beading' as can be just about seen on the other blades.

I'll wait for an adjudication from the mods as to the legality of this 'tweak'.

I've also had to move back into the 'man-cave' after a paint spill - 'top tip' number 1 : cut that stupid plastic hinge between lid and pot - if you don't, it will tip over!

More to follow

Craig

Edited by specky
  • Like 1

It would appear that dazdot isn't available to make a ruling today and since Dave_R and myself have the same idea about finishing in 1 day, I'm going to continue with the 'detergent trick'

Craig

OK, before I break for some lunch....

005_zpsotuyy3ny.jpg

....IP decal badly positioned :banghead: but by the time I noticed, it was too late to move it. But no loss, when closed-up, it disappears.

With some soap, the dark grey, green & black are working reasonably well, but the pale grey is still pants

006_zpsgqjzifsn.jpg

I neglected to take a snap of the 'pit before closing - sorry! and I seem to have run out of space for more pegs on the fuselage whilst the glue dries. I had forgotten how frustrating it is waiting for this stuff to go off

007_zps3gngiomd.jpg

More later

Craig

• Like 2

Can't see anything with the washing up liquid, it's readily available thing for pretty much anyone. I'll take advantage of it as the jag is larger than the last starter set I did so the paint will have to stretch.

Hi guys

great stuff and picked up some tips! What are you doing thinning wise - 50/50%?

Yes Tim, about 50/50. Multiple, thin coats until you get the coverage you want is working on the smaller parts/areas, but we'll soon find out how that works on the big stuff!!

Can't see anything with the washing up liquid, it's readily available thing for pretty much anyone. I'll take advantage of it as the jag is larger than the last starter set I did so the paint will have to stretch.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Just a drop of detergent to break the surface tension has transformed the way these paints perform, especially over bare plastic.

After a really late one last night & early start this morning, after some lunch I just couldn't keep my eyes open & had to go and lie down so a finish in 24 hours is not going to happen. But I'm still moving forward

008_zpstompytjy.jpg

Wings are just dry-fitted at the moment and look pretty good. Overall, the fit of this kit has been spot-on which is pretty much essential when you don't have access to 'proper' filler. The tube glue can be used, but takes ages to dry.

Aiming to get assembly finished and maybe one exterior colour on tonight and finish tomorrow.

Cheers

Craig

• Like 3

Hi guys,

so, 23 hours and change later, construction is complete, just paint then add the 'sticky-out' bits!

014_zpsudzmbmmg.jpg

015_zpsbxtgrhah.jpg

This was not a good weekend to try and build a model, start to finish, with it being the start of the new F1 season - too many distractions! But I'm happy with the results so far. It looked good on the sprues and having worked with it, its now, definitely, my 'go to' D-version in 1/72.

Which puts me in a bit of a dilemma - if the acrylic looks awful tomorrow, I may be compelled to withdraw it from the GB, strip the paint and finish it, properly, with enamels

More to follow

Craig

Hi guys.

I carried on for a 1/2 hour or so last night to see how the pale grey, the least co-operative of the colours, would perform.....

001_zps00lxgodp.jpg

....and I have to say that I am not too unhappy with it! It still needs a good few coats yet and I will be adding a touch of dark grey to the mix and pick out random panels as is the 'trendy' thing to do, but based on how its going, I will see this to a finish.

More to come

Craig

Hi guys,

so, having failed miserably to finish this over a weekend, I decided to spend a bit of time 'making good' a couple of areas that were troubling me before I went too much further with paint - specifically the still visible joints on the top engine cowling and the ventral radiator air intake. Fortunately, the tube glue does a decent impression of 'filler' and as long as its applied in thin layers, dries to the point that it can be shaped in not much more than an hour.

The paint, though, is still awful.....

001_zpsv9m0hh81.jpg

002_zpsi9snkgla.jpg

.....just about visible from these images is my approach to painting the exterior. Working around the airframe, 'blocking in' random panels until its all covered seems to be doing the trick and develops the 'patchwork' appearance that I'm a huge fan of!

Its getting there, slowly but surely!

Cheers for now

Craig

Hi guys and gals,

O dear, I appear to have seriously underestimated just how dark the 'ocean grey' is...

001_zpsn8bmxfjj.jpg

002_zpslmvdownb.jpg

...more coats of green I think, but at least its going on quite nicely!

More to come

Craig

• Like 2