Humbrol MetalCote Polished Aluminium - how do I get a good finish?

Skyhunter66

Afternoon folks - as I haven't enough Alclad for my current Lightning project I thought I would give the Humbrol Metal Cote a bash. Now I tested it on the spare Lightning fin - let it dry for half an hour then tried buffing it up with a micro cloth and micromesh pads but I can't see any improvement! I figured it must be my flawed technique and I better ask the experts! So can anyone give me some advice on getting Humbrol 27002 polished up to look like polished aluminum?

thanks

Chris

I've tried so many times and failed with the tinlet stuff, 3 tins worth over the last few years when I had no airbrush. Gloss black to grey primer bases with different types of polishing only have ever very slightly increased the shine, its more like a metallic silver than a good representation of polished metal. I remember I used a tin when I first started and this polished up real well so maybe they changed the formula. Apparently however the aerosol version polishes up nice. Basically I don't think it can be done to the similar standards of Alclad etc..

Edited by mirageiv

If it's the new stuff I had a problem with it.If you have a read through this one you'll find what I did. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234966887-hasegawa-p51d-in-148th-scalefinished/

Ok thanks Alex - I note you didn't dilute the paint (which I did) and added pencil lead - something I would never have figured in a million years! Will give it a try. Chris

many thanks for your input guys - I will experiment further and see how I go. Will report back!

chris

I have never successfully managed to get a decent finish out of the metalcote. I resorted to polishing mops on an electric drill and got a reasonable shine but it disappeared again after a day or two on the bench.

Metalcotes disappointing results are why I have now become a convert to Alclad.