Revell McDonnell Douglas F-15 Strike Eagle, 1/48

Hello guys and happy easter!

After a few days of relaxing i worked the last 3 days on the Eagle, following things i completed:

The arming is completed, OIF "Kick bottom C"

IMG_20160327_1145491_zpstqwcgaea.jpg

• Like 7

and how she looks at the moment, still lot to do......

IMG_20160327_1156381_zpsns1o0rci.jpg

IMG_20160327_1155201_zpsdzbr9p2d.jpg

Thanks for watching, critic is welcome!

Please excuse for the bad quality of photos, the daylight in austria here is not the best :winkgrin:

Oliver

• Like 8

Hi Oliver,

Certainly looks good, and Happy Easter to you.

Guy

• Like 1

Hello to all,

progress so far on the F-15E!

Afterburners ready, used Eduard PE.

Inside an oilwash, finished with Tamiya Pigments, outside painted dark black. Only a layer matt lacquer and drybrush, then ready for installation!

ā€‹Wheels painted black, also waiting for matt lacquer.

ā€‹Going on well the bird, will finish her next weekend!

IMG_20160327_1414191_zpsrla2miug.jpg

IMG_20160328_1628301_zpsefuqt1rj.jpg

IMG_20160328_1655001_zpsoaezhwn5.jpg

Ciao

Oliver

• Like 2

Good morning gents,

last days of work and now i can see the light on the end of the tunnel..........

The landing gears (with PE) are nearly finished, only a washing and the lightning is left!

IMG_20160330_194555_zpslyzdh3bm.jpg

Also the afterburners, installed and washed. The kit ones are really well detailled!

IMG_20160331_071940_zpsvslk2fpv.jpg

• Like 2

And now, the F-15E stands on her own legs :winkgrin:

IMG_20160331_071759_zpsxo3kyvbo.jpg

Last pic before rollout

IMG_20160331_072014_zps5co0gbqo.jpg

Things to do before the aircraft is finished:

- Painting the wheels (must wait for the Eduard masks)

- Navigation lights

- a little oilwash and weathering

- checking the hole surface, overall cleaning and a last clear & matt coat (silvering on some decals)

Thanks for watching, critic is welcome to correct any false things :hmmm:

Oliver

• Like 5

It's really moving along nearly at the finish line, good work Oliver.

Guy

• Like 1

Ok, about 70% of the decals are silvering to much! Decided to remove them carefully and place new ones (366th fw/ tiger lead)

Ok, about 70% of the decals are silvering to much! Decided to remove them carefully and place new ones (366th fw/ tiger lead)

Did you gloss the surface first? Use set and sol?

Once the decal is on the aircraft and lined up in correct position use a cotton bud on one end to get it to hold down properly. Once you have that end secure draw the cotton bud along the decal away from the end you started. Keep doing this. It will help push out all the moisture and air from under the decal. This is a big cause of silvering.

Thanks yes, used gloss coat! Use the revell decalsoft.

First decals are off, no problems. Surface is ok.

Oliver

A prompt for a quick dit!!

I was doing some work a few years ago with two Septics who used to fly these. One was an ex Navy pilot and the other ex USAF. Anyway, I was walking behind them the first time they met and I overheard the conversation. Needless to say I cant remember the detail as they lost me in about 22 seconds, but it was along the lines of 'did yours have go faster stripes?' and the reply was 'nah. Mine had a turbo and alloy wheels'. It was very funny hearing them compare their jets.

Nice model.

• Like 1

Thanks Jan & Simmerit,

try to correct the decal disaster but at the moment i think itĀ“s better for my to build a new F15 (i have another Revell Kit here in stash) because the surface now is so damaged i cannot look at her......

But hey, almost all arming, the cockpit and some other parts can be used! And the build of the eagle from the Revell Kit is really a fun!

Also good news arrived yesterday, after 2 weeks waiting mr. postman brings me this beauty

IMG_20160405_080045_zpsppd2yiew.jpg

Oliver

• Like 5

Hi Oliver,

Sorry to hear about the hick up with your Eagle such a shame after all your effort! but if your happy to start again with another then I will look forward to seeing it, and nice F-14 great jet !!

Good luck my friend and keep at it.

Guy

• Like 1

Hi gents,

thanks for the words, i started yesterday the new strike eagle :coolio:

Will be carefully with the decals, i think the clear coat i used is not the best so i must buy a new one. Hope this time no silvering on the eagle.

PS. The Edaurd Danger Zone kit is absolutly brilliant, quite the best one i had ever in my hands. Must only decide wich aircraft i will build (tend to VF-84 Jolly Rogers.....)

Oliver

Hi Oliver,

I too am sorry to read your tails of woe with the decals.

As I wrote before, I was following this build with great interest.

Suppose we'll get to follow your new Strike Eagle, and one day the F-14 builds - so I'll stayed tuned to this channel!

Out of interest, which gundam marker (tip size?/colour) did/do you use for the pre-shading? I have never tried this method, and it looks the way to go for me!

• Like 1

Hi 29Triplex,

no problem! At this point the silvering is toooooo much for me, i canĀ“t look on the eagle and there is no way for me to put it in my display case! The new one is on a good way and i will post new pics when the daylight here in austria is better :winkgrin:

The gundam marker is this one

IMG_20160407_072039_zpsjqn5mw9j.jpg

Black, GM20

The ink drawing brush marker is most suitable for painting even finer engraved parts. The pen point is a brush type, and special water-based ink is used, so it can be applied on any kind of basecoat and paint run-off can be wiped off. Perfect for preshading/panelines.

(available at amazon)

Oliver.

• Like 1