YP-47M Reynolds Bombshell Air Racer 1:48

:D Thanks guys. Parties were fun but urged me to do a few things in a hurry which is always a bad idea... I redid one external tank only to mess it up again and then masked and sprayed the fuselage with Revell 51 blue and Tamiya X7 red. Paints went on fine and dried rather quickly (the Revell scared me a little as some gloss enamels take ages to dry) - but the masking job was a bit lousy so the edges of the blue areas were not OK and I had some places with overspray. I will sand these with 4000 grit and guess that will do the trick. The blue area was masked one more time and received a second coat - which was needed anyway as I found that the blue was not as deep as the one I did on the cowling before:

47m25_zps1nvijkt9.jpg

47m26_zpsbjxanj6f.jpg

Tonight I will add a first gloss coat to all white areas and work on the U/C. Tomorrow I will go to the movies (bat against phone box) so Wedesday the decals will go on. I hope...

Rene

• Like 1

Glad the parties went well. :thumbsup:

Well, despite your concerns, the red and blue areas look excellent! I'm sure you'll be able to satisfactorily fix those areas where there are issues! :fight:

• Like 1

My free evening (my wife was out) turned out shorter than expected. My son simply did not fell asleep... Well at least I did in the end :banghead:

Still I was able to remove all masking tape but leave the paint on, sanded the overspray with Micro Polishing Cloth away and I even managed to give the Tunderbolt a shiny clear coat. This morning I got up early and added a second clear cote. The first one was already shiny but using DIY decals I do not want to take chances with silvering. The decal paper is a type I never used before - the print looks good but I have to find out how the paper will perform on the model...

As said above I used the water based Alclad clear gloss which is similar to the various floor wonders like Pledge but it appears to me as if the Alclad version is a bit thicker and does not create runs as easily as Pledge. So you can build up a gloss finish in one or two coats only. I never managed to do this with Pledge.

That said the gloss coats went on without a problem so far. Tonight I will not be able to do much. Maybe coat the decals with Micro Liquid Decal Film so I can start decaling tomorrow.

No pics today as nothing new to show (we all know how a gloss coat looks like I suppose...).

René

• Like 1

So back again after a night off. Last night I did the most part of the decaling. Only 2 P&W decals on the cowling, on P&W logo on the engine and eight decals for the prop blades (it seems those I need are not included in the kit, so I have to search my spare decal box):

47m27_zpsnasdck8d.jpg

It became quite late but it paid off - at least I am quite happy with the result so far. Actually I first though that the base colours are just white and dark blue and was a bit sad to realize that the tail and wingtips were another colour. I somehow thought this would make the bird too colourful. But now that the dacls are on... :heart: :

47m28_zpsiduo1arj.jpg

The photos were taken this morning so they are a bit blueish:

47m29_zpsgm0kxyak.jpg

All decals were done by me based on the few pictures I have found. Not everything is fully accurate. The text between windscreen and cowling is not readable on any pictures I have. So the text is pure fantasy and clearly states this. Similar with the text below the cockpit which is an educated guess. The first line ready "EXPERIMENTAL" below this I guess it is Cap. W. P. Odom and then it becomes pure guesswork. I decided to go with Eng. Tex Sallee but this is most likely not correct. Maybe Odom listed the Lear autopilot here. He even had a nick name for the autopilot which I currently do not remember...

All but the white decals are printed on clear laser printer decal sheet. The white decals were printed by "Druckeronkel" in Germany. The prints are very crisp and the decal film is strong but thin. But I found that the white he used at that time (I think he has a better one now) is a bit translucent. Due to a mistake I had two sheets so I used both - one over the other to get a more solid white:

47m30_zpsthqzx61v.jpg

So what is next... I need to finish the fuel tanks and guess that is what I try to do tonight. Then as said some decals are still missing. I should apply these too tonight and get the final clear coat on. Lets see...

Thanks for looking,

René

• Like 3

Thanks Rich.

Except for the clear coat I could fulfil my to-do list last night.

But first I found another reference photo that got lost between some Spitfire reference. Sure - this is the exact picture I needed about two weeks ago as you get a glimpse on the under wing surface around the wheel well and it clearly shows that this area was not P-47M standard. Too late to correct for me but all you lot out there longing to build this plane be forewarned:

47m31_zpsnh8yeo3t.jpg

Next I applied the remaining decals except the small P&W on the engine as I managed to loose this while it was soaking. Definitely a new achievement on my list. I cleaned up the "workbench" (still our breakfast table and not in the workshop) but it stayed out of sight. When appling the P&W labels on the cowling I realized I did another minor but noticible mistake: There is no mid blue background around the eagle as usual. It seems the background is just white. I can correct this later when I do new decals for other projects but will not correct any time soon.

I finished the build of the two tanks as shown below but did not paint them yet. I still wonder if I should make another mold so I can cast a few more. I will need two additional tanks for an F-82 in stash. Maybe I could even go to the producers and start a conversion kit with decals. Not sure yet.

47m32_zpsa4yv9ygl.jpg

So some airbrushing tonight (Aluminum and clear coat) and then a bit of weathering and assembly. Should be easy now - only the struts which support the fuel tanks are a bit more demanding.

René

• Like 2

Excellent progress Rene and it does look amazing with all this decals on!! Well done with decals too - not my favourite part of kit building and you had quite a few to do!! Good luck - hope to see her in the Gallery soon.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Thanks you two!

Actually two longer evenings were enough to finalize the build. :-) But the more the Bombshell was complete the more issues and questions arose. Apart from the two wrong parts next to the main wheel bays there is another part (with the landing light) which is also wrong on my kit now. See picture below. I decided to paint the wrong landing light over. Then I noticed that the red stripe is not the correct width. On the sole picture I have of the Bombshell which is showing the Pitot tube, it becomes clear that the tube is still in th ewhite area of the wing. For now I keep things as they are but will maybe correct them in the future, so I just stuck the Pitot tube in place and the tanks on.

47m33_zpssq0soeej.jpg

Regarding the tank colour I think it was just aluminum - why should they be painted white? They would be dropped after reaching cruise altitude anyway. But when I changed on picture of the assembled plane to b&w the tanks appear a bit dark. Another reason to just stuck them in place. Maybe the were white and I will find out the moment they are glued in place... So: I did not attach the tank support struts for now - I just drilled all location holes in the tanks and wings.

DSC_1794_zpseiwirokc.jpg

And the same in b&w:

DSC_1794%20bw_zpsynqadbfi.jpg

Someday in the hopefully near future I will test paint another kit in red and white and check how my supposed corrections above will work without spoiling everything. Depending on the result I will either keep the Bombshell as it is or correct it. Either way - this will be the moment to add the support struts...

For now I call it done.

Thanks for looking!

René

• Like 4

René,

I've followed this build and the way you've overcome the various trials and tribulations with interest.

The outcome is a model that is an interesting twist on a standard Thunderbolt and one I certainly would be very proud of, which you should be, you've done a smashing job there!

Wez

That turned out beautifully Rene! That last B&W photo shows how you've got it like the real thing! :thumbsup:

And, as Wes mentioned, it's nice to see a different version.

Very well done.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Well done Rene, this is a true Beauty and the Beast Plane!!! I do like this build and scheme very much and am so glad you decided to do it, she certainly stands out from all the other builds!

There is some really nice scratch building and conversion work here, well done. To be honest as usual nobody would notice all the little things that are not quite right on all our builds which we know are wrong.

Well as usual it was great to have you along Rene, it's always great to follow one of your builds and hopefully this one wasn't too stressful.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot guys!

It was a really nice GB and I am quite happy I could take part - and finish it. Well for now as I said.

I am well aware that most peaople will not see the minor glitches as reference is very limited. I started to gather information about the Reynolds Bombshell about five years ago and ended up with less than 10 pictures, half of them in awful quality. I tried to contact the museum where it is on display (in the original prototype livery) and a person who holds some of the more promissing pictures - but to no avail.

In the end it took quite a while to do the decals, which were at least as much work as the rest of the model. Still some are guesswork and some could do a bit more tweaking but I am still very happy how these turned out and how well they conform to the surface without any silvering. I did not expect this.

The huge droptanks do look fine to me now - also a major problem to get info on these but I could find measurements in the end so they should be pretty much OK.

I am quite sure now that I will try to correct the underside of the wings and correct the red wingtip width this year. Pictures will be posted here if I succeed.

Thanks for looking,

René

• Like 1

I envy you Cookie - one of my reference pictures came fro the website of this museum. I once wrote an e-mail to them if they have a better version of this picture (I am sure they will have) but never got any reply. I should have tried again maybe.

René

• Like 1

Hi Rene,

Coincidentally, the Yanks Air Museum is located at the same airport as the Planes of Fame Air Museum which we also visited last week. While the Planes of Fame Museum may not have the YP-47M in its collection, it may very well have a picture of yours in its racing livery as that museum has an air racing tradition (its president is a retired Reno champion), a library, and unbelievably enthusiastic staff and volunteers. Their site even lists email addresses for 'Historic Inquiries'.

Here's a pic I took on Saturday, sorry for the quality:

IMG_3190_zpsfyea363i.jpg

• Like 2