RIAT 2016

DaveJL

I've managed to get the 9th July off somehow, so i'm taking myself over to RIAT for the day.

Had a look at the list of aircraft so far and looks promising, F-22 and F-35 both flying which is something i'd very much like to see.

Tickets have certainly popped up in price since the last time I was over (2012 - think they were £36 then), they're almost the same price as the return flights from Belfast :lol:

Anyone else heading to it?

Dave

Spooky this thread should just pop up! Bought mine today - I'm going for the Friday on my own and then back next morning with the wife. I can do all the model-buying, photography and geeky stuff on Friday and sit and enjoy the day with the Trouble and Strife on Saturday

• Like 1

I was planning on going but will leave it a month or so to see what happens with the new regulations before getting a ticket but does look like a good line up so far.

Guy

We'll be there - camping at Totterdown Thursday to Sunday, and might venture down to the Park & View or Rhymes Farm for a change of scenery.

Looking forward to seeing the Greek F4s - hopefully they will grace us with their presence.

• Like 2

We'll be there - camping at Totterdown Thursday to Sunday, and might venture down to the Park & View or Rhymes Farm for a change of scenery.

Looking forward to seeing the Greek F4s - hopefully they will grace us with their presence.

There's one confirmed in the static display.

I'm just hoping it will be sunny!

I saw an F22 flying a display at San Francisco fleet week a few years back. You will not be disappointed.

If there's a flying F4 I might make the trip. Its far to rare a thing these days.

If there's a flying F4 I might make the trip. Its far to rare a thing these days.

It's down on the website as a static display unfortunately - haven't seen a flying one since early '00's

I can see it now - sunny day, not too much heat haze, and the Greek F4s doing a couple of touch and goes before side-slipping in to land and popping their tail chutes - can't wait...

• Like 1

Im self employed, working at home. I live 3 miles from RAF Fairford. a lot of the displays seem to use the edge of the village as marker for turning, and there were helicopters too low to get pictures of... :thumbsup:

180292_10151092668279744_656730807_n.jpg

181355_10151094713269744_169883986_n.jpg

Edited by Chillitt
  • Like 1

Handy enough location!

I'll be flying into Gatwick and getting the train to Swindon then hopping on the bus.

Looking forward to the next update, has potential to be a great show this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Going RIAT on Saturday and Legends on Sunday then returning Monday for departures.

Strewth, busy weekend coming up then, or is it a case of masochism? :)

Hard enough just going to Fairford for me let alone Duxford the next day!

• 2 weeks later...

Where's the best place off base to view the air display?

Plenty of places, no single one is the best though. Not sure if there will be restrictions this year given the reaction to last year's events at Shoreham.

If you want to be able to park your bike/car without any hassle these spots might be of interest.

Try Rhymes Farm here. It's about £15 pp for the day and they have loos and a burger stand. Ignore the road signs saying road closed. Very close to the action at times.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/51%C2%B041'08.4%22N+1%C2%B047'34.9%22W/@51.685675,-1.7952141,324m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

Or Totterdown here, same sort of set up, not so close to the flying or runway/taxiways, however still a good viewing point.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6917403,-1.7824622,651m/data=!3m1!1e3

Hope this helps.

• Like 2