Roland C.II. 1:32 Wingnut Wings

Roland C.II
1:32 Wingnut Wings

Rol1.jpg

Ever since building the 1:72 Airfix kit as a kid I have liked this aeroplane, with its streamlined shape and 'face'. The real aeroplane was built with the fuselage in 2 halves, just like a plastic kit, which was then fitted over the interior framework to give a very light and strong unit. So it should have a visible join line top and bottom! (The join actually had a strip of fabric doped along it).

As is usual with Wingnut Wings the kit was a total pleasure to build from start to finish. Of the 5 colour schemes offered, I had to go with this one as it is the very same that Airfix offered all those years ago.

Rol2.jpg

Rol3.jpg

Rol4.jpg

Rol5.jpg

Rol6.jpg

Rol7.jpg

Rol8.jpg

Rol9.jpg

The anemometer on the wing of this aircraft had a canvas and wire fishy fairing attached!

Rol10.jpg

rol11.jpg

Rol13.jpg

Remember the Airfix dogfight Double with the Roland and RE.8? You can do it in 1:32 now!

Rol12.jpg

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 33

Great work as usual, John -

Your Roland looks brilliant.

Do you have another WW1 subject in mind to build for your next project?

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

That is very impressive!

I've always liked the look of this particular aeroplane, you've done a great job on this one :)

• Like 1

Thank you all for the comments, much appreciated.

Do you have another WW1 subject in mind to build for your next project?

Regards

Dave

I's still pondering that Dave.I quite enjoy opening kits from the stash and looking through them to decide which will be next.

At the moment the final 3 in the short list are the big Gotha G.IV, An Albatros D.Va with Pheon Decals JG 17 markings for Rudolf von Esebeck (lovely!), or the early Sopwith Snipe.

I'll need to finish the Roden Sopwith triplane first though. It is well under way with a lengthened fuselage and other little mods to correct it.

Cheers

John

Haw to use machine gun in Your model ?

It is in the stowed position to give the maximum room for the gunner to climb in/out.

To put it in the firing position he would rotate the gun ring and swing the gun to the rear.

It can be done on the model, but as you can see, the gunner could not get in.

Rol18.jpg

So I prefer to show it stowed in a more realistic position.

Cheers

John

• Like 2

Hello,John - There's no need to thank us for looking.When you see this level of quality and detail in a model build it's an absolute pleasure to look and learn.Inspirational work! ;) All the very best,Paul.

Edited by mcdonnell
  • Like 1