Aerosan

I don't often do vehicles, but I was given this kit, and it's a bit like an aeroplane because it's got a propellor.

It's Trumpeter's 1:35 Aerosan RF-8. I don't know much about the subject, and the last Soviet armour I built was Airfix's JS 3 tank in the 1960s. A relative passed me the kit unstarted, but some bits were off the sprues, and there were no instructions. I managed to find a set on the internet, though, and it was an almost trouble-free build with great fit that's taken me about 5 days. Mainly OOB, but I did add a couple of dials (actually and ironically 1:32 Luftwaffe instruments) to dress up the dashboard. The only issue was breaking one of the prop-guard struts, I must get around to a more permanent repair, a butt-joint is not working!

Anyway, here it is. A great mojo-restorer.

RF-8-4-s_zps8hjtkstr.jpg

RF-8-6-s_zpstm2seh5t.jpg

RF-8-7-s_zps0ugr7g8g.jpg

There is another one in my future, I've also got its big brother, the NKL-16.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 9

Nice one Mike and great finish. I've already built the big NKL-16 and have the RF-8 and NKL-26 in the stash and agree that they are nice quick, easy builds and look great when finished.

Thanks for the kind comments chaps.

Badder, probably not an Ekranoplan, it's back to my usual fare with a Spitfire. Pin/Alexy, I wasn't aware as I don't speak Russian, but in my defence it seems to be "Aerosan" everywhere I've seen it written, including the kit box.

The NKL-16 will be started soon, it does make a nice change to build the unusual.

Again, thanks.

Mike, this is not an accusation :)

Alexey, not taken as such, always happy to learn. :)

Whenever I see this thread title, I always think someone has made a model of a chemical toilet ☺

Super model - something of the James Bond about it.

Well it was a bog-standard kit (sorry). :wicked:

Ken, interesting photo, it does look a bit more luxurious than the RF-8.

• Like 1

Interesting photo Ken - these "AeroSani" (Sani is plural in Russian) are evidently based on GAZ M-20 "Pobeda" (Victory) and guess what - there is a kit for it

sooooo....

Interesting Alexy........

I've just looked it up in a Russian-language book on OKB Kamov - some nice photos of the Sever-2 (North-2?) - including one taken earlier at Monino where it is coloured off-white and has wheels in place of the skis

There were a few Aerosani built by Kamov - the Ka-30 Aerosleigh looks like a VW Combi bus/van with skis and an Ivchenko Ai-14FRS radial engine.

Then there's the Ka-36 'Veterok' - a tandem two-seater with an MT-8 engine (imagine a Messerschmitt bubble car on skis)

They all would make interesting models - the latter two would have to be completely scratched though.

I found a few images on't t'interweb.....

Ka-30....

http://www.laputa.it/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/2096695257_25fb328475.jpg

http://www.index.hr/images2/Ka_30S_snow1V.jpg

Ken