AZmodel 1/72 TBD-1 Devastator

While waiting for the parts for my Vampire build to arrive I have started this kit.

The Hannants web site states this is NOT Valom. Valom kits must be scary.

I like Devastators.

Some pics.

box.jpg

box-rear.jpg

3c67cc21-2c74-4077-aebc-04144c2cee55.jpg

af835bbc-036f-4e2d-a95e-f99ecaabce7e.jpg

parts.jpg

resin-parts.jpg

I have made a start on the interior and have finished the torpedo. I will post some pictures tomorrow.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

• Like 6

My progress so far. I have painted interior green in the cockpit, instrument panel and the torpedo.

painted-parts.jpg

Torpedo... I don't know if I have painted it the right colour of not. It is hard to find colour pictures of MkXIII torpedoes. I used Nato Black for the front end and German Grey for the rear. I probably should re-scribe the panel lines. There are a few dags I could knock off.

Should the propellers be a brass colour?

torpedo.jpg

I also should clean the cameras sensor.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

Edited by StephenCJ
  • Like 3

The torpedo bodies were silver, but they were greased to keep from oxidizing, so had a slight amber tone. The warheads were a lighter grey:

http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2010/01/us-navy-aerial-torpedoes-in-world-war.html

http://ww2db.com/image.php?image_id=25105

I think brass for the props is OK, see the 2nd picture

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Have done a bit more on the Devastator.

I have repainted the torpedo but I still need to apply some sort of grease to it.

Gunners lounge chair. I still need to paint the back rest.

gunners_seat.jpg

Engine.

engine.jpg

Fuselage halves.

fuselage_side.jpg

I have been taking a lot of time test fitting the cockpit on this. Fit 50 times, think about it, fit again and then finally glue. The 2 boxes are just sitting in place as yet, they hold the top deck up and in the proper place otherwise it sits low

Progress is slow.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

• Like 1

It's looking good. The only 1/72 TBD I ever built was the old Airfix kit. I think it's still lying around somewhere infact.

I recently started the 1/48 GWH kit and did the same as you - painted the interior in Interior Green:

20151104_185048_zpsrsipigwc.jpg

I then learned it was very probably Bronze Green #9 instead. Fortunately I was able to change the colour without damaging anything.

20151105_175542_zpsookutwdx.jpg

Either way, I doubt it would detract from the model which is coming along nicely :D

• Like 1

I have repainted the torpedo.

torpedo_2.jpg

I am going to attempt make the plywood box that goes on the propeller end of the torpedo if they were fitted in the Coral Sea Battle.

Interior

fuselage_1.jpg

fuselage_2.jpg

Closeup

fuselage_2_closeup.jpg

Should I do a wash and what colour should it be?

The fuselage is ready to closed up. There is still the window for the bomb aimer in front of the pilot which can go in after the fuselage halves are joined.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

• Like 1

Fuselage and wing lower part have now been assembled and the fit has been really good until now.

wing_gap.jpg

Guess I will have to add some plastic strips and plenty of putty to fill this grand canyon of gaps. A tad disappointing.

A trip to Toyworld and possibly more kits for the ever increasing stash. Resistance is futile.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

• Like 2

Hi Stephen :)

Short run kits eh? I would tape the other wing half on as well before I did anything else and check where the fit has 'gone wrong'. In my experience you can't assume that the parts are 'made to fit' so you need to put them all together 'loosely' and wiggle everything around until you get the best fit. It's worth checking the 'features' on the wing halves too (like the airlerons) and the dihedral - you don't want to fill the gap only to find that the tips / ailerons don't line up or that you have a warped wing...

HTH

• Like 1

Nice subject, and looking good.

I love the pre war colourful Devastator's, I wonder if AZ do a boxing for those? The operational wartime aircraft are historically very interesting, so should make a nice model.

Looking forward to following along.

• 2 months later...