How do I correct these warped resin parts of mine?

Housesparrow

<--- Sad panda

I recently bought Sidewinder missiles in 1:48 scale from Eduard, but they are resin parts, and they are very much warped.

I have been reading that one can heat up the resin with hot water or even a blow dryer, and then cool them down to have the resin adapt to the new shape.

Problem is, I have never done anything like this before, and I worry that if I heat up the sidewinder missiles being resin parts, I worry that the four large fins will get all flappy and fall over. Not sure what to expect if I were to heat up the super thin resin part. The missile body is thick, but the rear fins are thin in comparison.

I suppose I must find some way to create some kind of stabilizing thing, that helps straighten out the missiles and all of the rear fins (fyi, the forward fins are separate items, and aren't warped at all).

Edit: Hmm, maybe I could create some kind of surrounding shape with cardboard, so that the four fins will at least point outwards in the right direction. Maybe use some match sticks alongside the missile to help guide the straightening of the sidewinder shape. The four sidewinder missiles are only slightly bent, but they are obviously not straight.

I am wondering if there might be a way to do this in two parts, first straighten the main body of the sidewinders, and then straighten the four fins on each of the missiles. *no clue*

Edited by Housesparrow

I would simply use very hot water, almost boiling, to soften the resin and let it relax. Resin has memory and should return to the state it was in the mold. This memory is far better at reparation than manual prodding. Here is a link to a tutorial:

http://planetarmor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4104

Yes, it is armor related but the technique is the same.

Regards,

where are they warped? can you pour the hot water over the affected area without getting it on the fins? something with a small spout might work?

otherwise, you could dip the missiles nose first into a cup of recently boiled water. The resin that's not submerged SHOULD remain relatively rigid, but take it easy and don't keep them in too long!!

Edited by Spud

It seems that the missile has a casual bend on the main body, a general bend. I think I can heat up that elongated part without hitting the fins with hot water.

I like the dipping idea, sounds lot more safe. :D

Are you guys saying that if I heat up resin, the resin part might simply straighten out by itself?

Edited by Housesparrow

This should be fun I've got 1/72nd VC10 wings to de warp...Some Pyrex jug I'll need!

Are you guys saying that if I heat up resin, the resin part might simply straighten out by itself?

I've written thousands of product reviews and many times parts were warped. This is why I created the tutorial in the link above.

Regards,

No, I have not contacted Eduard.

I seem to perhaps have fixed the issue. Have to look at it more closely to see if the missiles are straight enough.

I poured boiling water into a small bowl, that is deep enough so that the tip of the missile don't touch the bottom of the bowl.

I dipped the long part down and the resin straightened out, or so it seemed.

I then dipped the fin part side down, and the fins apparently straightened out.

I dipped each part down into the hot water and held it there for 20-30 seconds. I also had a bowl of cooler water, but I suspect that slowly taking the resin out of the hot water was enough to cool down the resin parts. Apparently, for such thin part one doesn't have to dip this stuff in boiling water. Pouring it over into a bowl first works great.

I'll show some photos when I get around to it, I am a little busy atm.

Edited by Housesparrow

ymrer.jpg

whfd5j.jpg

One of the missiles seems like it is leaning off to the side, but atm without having looked closer, I can't tell for sure if it has straightened out. I do see that the resin base is unbalanced, so that is one reason why that one missile is not pointing directly upwards.

I think the fins look ok, but I am not so sure about the missile bodies. Will have to look at it again later today.

Edited by Housesparrow