F-16 at Lakenheath?

Smudge

Whilst I was out and about this morning, sighted several F-15's in the local area around March and Wisbech (Cambridgeshire). To my surprise, they were closely followed by an F-15 and a F-16 in very close formation, flying straight and level at a fairly low altitude. Unmistakably an F-16, and a pleasant surprise as I have never seen one 'around these parts' before.

I have not been able to find out where it may have come from. Wondered if anyone on here might be in the know? Are any F-16's on detachment at Mildenhall or Lakenheath?

Might be worth a run out for some photos if they are here.

Cheers.

Edited by Smudge

Hi Stephen, thank you. Yes they could well be.

Well, unsurprisingly I did not get much back in the way of any concrete evidence of F-16's at Lakenheath. Still, undeterred and as I had a day off and the weather looked OK ish, and as I had been promising myself a trip to Lakenheath/Mildenhall for a while now, I decided it was as good an excuse as any to go.

I had been there for about an hour, it was still rather misty with a low cloud, and not much going on. Then out of the gloom.........

Lakenhall%20003.jpg

Lakenhall%20004.jpg

Lakenhall%20006.jpg

Lakenhall%20007.jpg

Belgian Air Force F-16B 'FB-20' trying to sneak in.

No other info I'm afraid. A guy in the car park seemed to think it was going out again latter in the afternoon.

Took a few more photos.

Lakenhall%20021.jpg

Lakenhall%20030.jpg

Lakenhall%20011.jpg

Lakenhall%20012.jpg

Then things went a bit quiet so I popped over to Mildenhall for some heavy metal action. A couple of tankers were in the circuit:

Lakenhall%20064.jpg

Lakenhall%20071.jpg

Then this turned up. Which was nice.

Lakenhall%20080.jpg

Lakenhall%20083.jpg

A very nice day out. I will have to go back.

Cheers for looking, hope you like the pictures.

• Like 6

Very nice. Thank you, a day well spent!

Yes, thanks Vee, it made a pleasant change.

You probably saw one of these two guys on thursday: Clickie.

Cheers Creepy. Yes, I think you are probably right. I don't think the aircraft I saw was carrying those large drop tanks. Possibly was carrying a ACMI pod (I think that's correct?) under the starboard wing. So that would fit. No sign of them/it at Lakenheath though, although that does not mean they weren't there, somewhere.

Nice surprise for me anyway.

Thanks for the link to the Scramble website. I will have to remember that one.

Cheers.

Cheers Simon.

Yes, I know how that is. It's only an hour in the car for me, but I've only just got round to going. Last time was a stop off on my way to London about five years ago.

I hope to go back again soon!

• 2 weeks later...