Hurricane Mk.I, Airfix 1/48

Hi everybody,

here is my recently finished Hurricane Mk.I in 306, Polish RAF squadron markings. Very pleasant kit to build. I added Eduards PE, exhaust, whells, Techmod decals and some scratch-building details (riveting, anti-glare plates etc). I used dedicated MrHobby paints of C-series. I hope you enjoy,

Artur

DSC_0081_zps4x4uenq2.jpg
DSC_0076_zpseuihq8bu.jpg
DSC_0075_zpshw5a3ihl.jpg
DSC_0074_zpsllopd3un.jpgDSC_0071_zpsylqm20bo.jpg
DSC_0070_zpsw49njhzp.jpg
DSC_0069_zpsee1qd7tv.jpgDSC_0068_zpsmxbpw8lo.jpgDSC_0065_zps5krt3dtu.jpgDSC_0064_zps0ldsdm1c.jpg
DSC_0063_zpsb8ygto3f.jpgDSC_0089_zpszonvdwry.jpgDSC_0088_zpsisqpkeqa.jpgDSC_0087_zpseedxeppt.jpgDSC_0086_zpsoayiwhvk.jpgDSC_0084_zpskwjnth3z.jpgDSC_0083_zps8g55mquy.jpgDSC_0082_zpsd70du13j.jpg
  • Like 38

Superb Hurricane, looking very 'right'. Your additional work made a lot of difference!

A small ? for the antenna mast, which is usually mounted at 90° to the datum line, not to the dorsal profile. But perhaps V•UZ did have it tilted a bit backward, like that?

Admirable and enviable modelling proficiency on display here!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanx a lot for kind words!

A small ? for the antenna mast, which is usually mounted at 90° to the datum line, not to the dorsal profile. But perhaps V•UZ did have it tilted a bit backward, like that?

The mast was mounted correctly, but later on I used elastic thread as the antenna wire... And the mast, made of this soft Airfix's plastic, bent...

Hi Artur

very good work, neat build, only problem is you used the wrong propeller unit, the kit supplied De Havilland type.

V7118 has the 'bullet' Rotol, usually associated with the Mk.II, but fitted to late production Mk.I's as well.

see http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980181-hawker-hurricane-propellers-and-spinners-a-modellers-guide/

and

http://wpiotrus.republika.pl/hurri.htm

Hurricane-MkI-RAF-306Sqn-UZV-V7118-with-

this is an unusual photo as it shows a Hurricane on the ground with dropped flaps, in this case for servicing.

It should alos be noted that the new Airfix kit's De Havilland unit looks to be too long, and it's possible to fit either of the types of propeller blade too either spinner (I have seen two build here with DH blades on Rotol spinner :banghead:) but a passable 'bullet' Rotol could be made by using the DH spinner with the tip blunted and the Rotol blades.

The propellers really do confuse modellers (10 possible types fitted to various Hurricanes) , so I'm not surprised this happens!

look like you used Eduard wheels? these are bit small, the kits ones are too big :

Wheels seem to cause problems on 1/48 Hurricane kits, the Hasegawa and Italeri kit both have problems with them as well!!!!

Interesting,but looks like the tailwheel needs to be adjusted, as it is it sits too high, this is a fault of the kit I'm afraid.

hope of interest, and at least you built the kit, I just get stuck looking at the various kits problems ( see my many posts on the matter) and I cannot fault your modelling and painting!

hope of interest

T

• Like 2

I just bought a 1/24 hurricane from Debenhams for half price and if I can make it look half as good as this I'll be happy.

Minor comments aside I'd be over the moon with a finish like that. Well done :) She's a beauty :)

I have a question ..... how do you get the rivet / panel lines to show through the decals so clearly ?

Helpful critique Troy. In no way detracting from the modeller's excellent work, of benefit to all. An example to follow.

Thanx, guys, once again!

Hi Artur

very good work, neat build, only problem is you used the wrong propeller unit, the kit supplied De Havilland type.

look like you used Eduard wheels? these are bit small, the kits ones are too big :

Wheels seem to cause problems on 1/48 Hurricane kits, the Hasegawa and Italeri kit both have problems with them as well!!!!

Interesting,but looks like the tailwheel needs to be adjusted, as it is it sits too high, this is a fault of the kit I'm afraid.

hope of interest

T

Thanx, Troy! You're right about the spinner and propeller. I'm looking for the correct one to replace...

Observation about the tailwheel is also usefull, that should be corrected. Fortunatelly it is easier thing to do that looking for correct spinner :)

The main wheels are in fact from Eduard. They look great with delicate details, but they may be incorrect in size...

I have a question ..... how do you get the rivet / panel lines to show through the decals so clearly ?

Both decals that I used (Cartograf from the box and Techmod) are thin and delicate react positivelly for Set/Sol, that's the whole secret. I use RB riveter, and unlike many other modellers, I don't polish riveted surface with sandpaper. This is why "the rivets" are not only small holes, but look more than "craters" - they are rised a little. It gives more visible effect under the decals :)

• Like 1