What respirator/mask do y'all use?

Beardie

Hi all, I know that I should have asked this question before ordering a respirator/mask to replace my ancient 3M mask/organic vapour filters but what is your mask of choice. I use lacquers and enamels so I go for the organic vapour filters.

I have ordered a JSP force 8 with organic filters largely because of it's price compared to the cost of replacing the 3M although it did give me years of faultless service. Anyone use the JSP Force 8 and if so what do you think of it?

I bought one of these a couple of months ago

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004OYQ4LC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Before I had a replaceable cartridge one which was heavy, uncomfortable, and like wearing a gas mask, The 3M is light and so comfortable that sometimes I forget I have it on. Because of this I find I relax and take my time much more when air brushing. dont know how long it will last, but when it does need replacing I will definitely buy another

Edited by Stuck

My old 3M 6200 was an excellent cartridge mask, I never found a smell/chemical that made it past the filters as far as I know but it was worn out . Does the mask you link to stop all smells?

I used the old 3M while spray painting motorcycle parts, various lacquers and handling some rather nasty smelling gunk.

There seems an awful lot of allegedly 3M masks/filters on fleabay from China at a lot less than UK PPE sellers are asking and so I would be worried that it might not be the real deal.

My old 3M 6200 was an excellent cartridge mask, I never found a smell/chemical that made it past the filters as far as I know but it was worn out . Does the mask you link to stop all smells?

I used the old 3M while spray painting motorcycle parts, various lacquers and handling some rather nasty smelling gunk.

There seems an awful lot of allegedly 3M masks/filters on fleabay from China at a lot less than UK PPE sellers are asking and so I would be worried that it might not be the real deal.

You wont smell a thing.

Darby, I suggest you buy one as well. I havnt got a spray booth but a little fan in the wall at the back of my work bench, if you saw just how much colored dust accumulates around it just after a couple of sessions you would buy one tomorrow.

• Like 1

I use the JSP force 8 from toolstation, for everything not just spraying as my work bench has basically no ventilation, whereas my spray booth is in the shed and does.

I must admit to not being entirely certain about whether I have the right filters for enamels and liquid poly, but I can't smell a thing when I use it.

These days disposable foam particle filters with a fan flow evacuation booth. I generally only spray aqueous acryiics or Tamiya with their X22A thinner. They're comfortable, efficient, cheap, zero maintenance and keep out the particles.

I have an industrial soft conforming rubber chemical mask with changeable selectable filter type for specific application I've used for many years from the days when I used solvent based polyurethanes, two packs, enamels etc for another hobby. But it's uncomfortable, hot and really overkill for spraying hobby acrylics.

Bordfunker that mask is basically the same as the one I am replacing it lasted me many years but was pretty worn out from contact with my rough fizzog.

I have been lazy for a while and not bothered while spraying my humbrol enamels over the last year and a half (I do use a spray booth) but, having recently started to make a move to using Alclads and Alclad Mil-spec two enamels I think I had better get back into the good practice of using a solvent blocking mask.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251893438037?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I bought one of these just before christmas.

I know, I know. Its from China, but it only took 10 days to arrive & it only cost £8.50 at the time.

My work sells these, but they wanted £43, but the £8.50 I paid, I got the mask & 2 filters.

It works a treat for me when I have to spray in my porch when its raining outside & its comfortable to wear too.

Edited by Deadman Disciple
  • Like 2

Well I just received the JSP force 8 mask with organic filters today and I have to say I am impressed. Cost me around £26 IIRC from 'thesafetyshop4u' on fleabay. Fit is really good with a softer rubber than my old 3M mask, I like the protected outflow valve and, while spraying various alclad lacquers and using some orrible smelling Rustin's Cellulose thinners (I would not recommend them to anyone!), I couldn't smell a thing so so far it seems like a good 'un.

• Like 1

The 3M one pictured above was the one I used to use and it was always an excellent mask. The only real difference between it and the JSP mask is that the 'exhale' valve on the nose has a protective cover over it on the JSP which I kinda like

• 3 weeks later...

Effectively this:

http://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/3M-7500-Half-Mask-Airbrushing-Pack-3M7500ABK.html#SID=23

Although I didn't buy it from there, or even as a kit. However those are the components I use. The mask, fliter cartridges and the particulate pre filters which you need to use with the organic vapour cartridges, according to 3M, when spray painting.

Effectively this:

http://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/3M-7500-Half-Mask-Airbrushing-Pack-3M7500ABK.html#SID=23

Although I didn't buy it from there, or even as a kit. However those are the components I use. The mask, fliter cartridges and the particulate pre filters which you need to use with the organic vapour cartridges, according to 3M, when spray painting.

Yup, that's the exact same setup that we use at work for everything from degreasing by Trichloroethylene vapour, MEK, Acetone, Isopropyl Alcohol, various Ardrox products; preparation of film processor chemicals; for use in areas with airborne oil and water vapour........oh, and cases of extreme office flatulance. I'm more than happy to use it for airbrushing as well.

One point to note though is that filters do need replacing regularly as contaminants will eventually work their way through the filter. For instance at work we change filter every 8 hours when working with trich. If your mask fits well but you start to smell the paint then it's probably time to change your filter.

Another thing if anyone is interested.........look up ototoxic chemicals. In short, some chemicals can increase the risk of noise induced hearing loss when exposure is combined with noisy environments. Ask me how I found out all about that then ! At least I now have an excuse for 'not hearing' SWMBO :thumbsup:

Cheers

Gaz

I bought one of these a couple of months ago

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004OYQ4LC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Before I had a replaceable cartridge one which was heavy, uncomfortable, and like wearing a gas mask, The 3M is light and so comfortable that sometimes I forget I have it on. Because of this I find I relax and take my time much more when air brushing. dont know how long it will last, but when it does need replacing I will definitely buy another

I use one of these too. I've had it for a while and still can't smell any of the solvents while I'm wearing it.

The only minor complaint I've got is that, if you've been wearing it for an extended period, condensation can build up inside and eventually spray out as you exhale, all over what you are spraying. Ask me how I know...

What are the prefilters good for? They can be added onto the main filter pieces.

Perhaps to protect the main filters from dust, so that they can keep working better for filtering out organic vapors?

Btw, according to this webpage, it is possible to use this kind of respirator mask without the big main filters, and only with the thinner particular filters. Though, that require buying a pre-filter platform, that takes the place of the big main filters:

https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/3M-5925-Pre-Filters.html

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251893438037?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I bought one of these just before christmas.

I know, I know. Its from China, but it only took 10 days to arrive & it only cost £8.50 at the time.

My work sells these, but they wanted £43, but the £8.50 I paid, I got the mask & 2 filters.

It works a treat for me when I have to spray in my porch when its raining outside & its comfortable to wear too.

Took a punt on this one myself. Just waiting for it to be delivered. Will post an update after getting a chance to use it but looks a handy piece of kit.

Tony

• Like 1

Took a punt on this one myself. Just waiting for it to be delivered. Will post an update after getting a chance to use it but looks a handy piece of kit.

Tony

You need to push in & twist the filters to get them to lock onto the mask.

Wayne.

• Like 1

Wayne.

Cheers Wayne. That will save me breaking it as soon as it's out of the wrapper :)

Tony

I use the 3M 6200 at work. I think any EN 140 compliant mask would do, however I prefer the models built around square boxy filters which last longer. I would avoid 'no-maintenance' models such as the 3M 4251, more expensive in the long run, plus the wearer looks like a cross between Hannibal Lecter and a donkey's naughty bits.

Regarding the ability to block smells, it's all about the cartridge filters. An A or A+ filter should be enough for all the chemicals found in paints and solvents.

What's been said about solvents and hear loss is a fact, unfortunately, the guy who did the noise risk assessment last year told us that there's no way to prevent these molecules reaching your inner ear and do damage.The only remedy is to prevent solvents buildup by ensuring a good ventilation around your working area.

3M recommends changing the mask (the facepiece, not the filters) every six months but that seems pretty expensive.

When you put your old mask out of service it's a good idea to remove and keep:

- the clips and straps,

- the internal valves (white rubber disks),

- the filter gaskets (pink rubber rings).

Filters ought to be changed as soon as you smell chemicals. A spare pair is advised in case your current ones expire at the start of a modelling weekend, but don't stash them as they have an expiration date.

Shall we begin a collection now for you?

No need for a collection I just breathe the other way when spraying and besides, I still have my S10 and spare canisters if the worst comes to the worst.

• 2 weeks later...

Wayne.

Top recommendation Wayne. Mine finally arrived this morning - finally I can spray away without my glasses steaming up.

Cheers for that tip!

Tony