Dornier JII Wal RYAF 1941, Huma+Lift Here+scratch, 1/72

Hi,

Next old and odd German of my current "production": Dornier Wal J II named also Do 16 in markings of Royal Yugoslavian Air Forces.

Basic kit by Huma witha scratch modification to version with two Gnome-Rhone 480 HP radial engines. Besides engines the scratch work was also done with bomb racks, small control units to rudders (not present in kit for some reasons - unlike similar units in elevators and ailerons) and to single rear gunner position (Huma kit has two of them on rear deck, on sides from top). Decals by Serbian company Lift Here provided by my friend Zora from Beograd (many thanks!).

Following info on Lift-Here decals leaflet the RYAF exploited one early Wal JI with number 200, and ten JII of late production, with rounded wingtips all. initially they were six J II with G-R Jupiters (numbers 251-256) one with BMW in-line engines (No 257) and three with Hispano-Suiza engines (No 258-260). Just before war Nos 251,252 and 253 were upgrated to much more powerfull HS engines.

Machnes were based on south coast of Yu, namely the Kotor bay, and were used for patrol flights. No machine survived war in April 1941.

She looks like this:

do wal DSC00770do wal DSC00771do wal DSC00772do wal DSC00773do wal DSC00774do wal DSC00775do wal DSC00776

And some play with photos...

do wal DSC00769do wal DSC00768

Comments welcome

Regards,

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 47

That's definitely one you don't see often! Very nicely done, although I can't help thinking it maybe needs a little wash of some sort to break up the uniform colour. I'm by no means an expert on weathering, tending to shy away from it, but a little black pastel shaved off and applied in water then wiped off does leave a nice, subtle, streaked and worn look. I used it on my Short 184 for the first time and was very pleased with the result...

Ian

• Like 1

Ian and Martin thank you for comments,

it maybe needs a little wash of some sort to break up the uniform colour

Frankly speaking I am not experience with whole surface washing - thank you therefore for instruction, I will try perhaps. Although the Lift Here reccomended very little weathering as airplanes were said to be well maintened.

I wonder if the Kora Dornier 18 beaching gear would fit this kit?

The Do 18 had different beech gear then Wal. The Wal had an unusual large wheels attached on sides of floats (from photos I reconstructed that it should be 24 or 25 mm of diameter in 1/72 scale or a single inch if you want) and a small buggy supporting rear of fuselage. I was constructing some of this out of scratch but I quit finally, mainly due to not sure look of the rear buggy.

Cheers

J-W

Hello,

Great choice of exotic subject.

I see that the decals have produced some silvering, especially ones on the fuselage.

Never has this happened to me with LH decals. Have You applied a gloss coat before, and some setting solution after the decals?

If there was no lacquer after the decals, maybe it's not too late for it now...

• Like 1

Hi J-W it's great to see s Wal actually built. I wish to do a SCW version, but I have trouble finding pictures and plans of the engines, also I only have old Airmodel Vac-Fotm kit :(. .

This looks fantastic and the huge wing markings are stunning. Very nice work on modifying the engines.

Great stuff :)

Tony

Edited by TonyTiger66
  • Like 1

Many, many thanks Gents for comments and likes.

I see that the decals have produced some silvering, especially ones on the fuselage.

Never has this happened to me with LH decals. Have You applied a gloss coat before, and some setting solution after the decals?

If there was no lacquer after the decals, maybe it's not too late for it now...

Warhawk, this silvering surprised me since I used diluted Pactra gloss for surface below decal, than I cover it again with the same after aplying, wait some 2 days for drying before applying matt Vallejo cover and it was only a bit shining - not exactly silvering (before matt cover) so I hope it will vanish. And I still do hope that the adhesion is correct and the problem is with reflection from outside surface. I will try to add second matt cover and we will see...

Hi J-W it's great to see s Wal actually built. I wish to do a SCW version, but I have trouble finding pictures and plans of the engines, also I only have old Airmodel Vac-Fotm kit

Tony, there is a new kit Amodel announced - with rectangular wingtips and it has SCW decal in box! :). I am still not decided if I will buy it, to do second Wal in my collection... but I made here this engine conversion to the other then were used in Wals in NEI and in SCV to give myself excuse to buy perhaps the Amodel kit... Moreover - the Amodel has a beech qheels and buggy in box - so it is temptating me even more (and perhaps this was also the reason for gaving up wiyh scratch build of the beech wheels...) :)

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

Thank you Mates for so positive reception of this Wal. I appreciete it very much.

BTW - the seoncd coat of Matt Varish reduced a bit reflections on side numbers, but did not cured the problem to the very end...

do wal  DSC00781

Cheers

J-W

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 3/9/2016 at 1:28 AM, JWM said:

Hi,

Next old and odd German of my current "production": Dornier Wal J II named also Do 16 in markings of Royal Yugoslavian Air Forces.

Basic kit by Huma witha scratch modification to version with two Gnome-Rhone 480 HP radial engines. Besides engines the scratch work was also done with bomb racks, small control units to rudders (not present in kit for some reasons - unlike similar units in elevators and ailerons) and to single rear gunner position (Huma kit has two of them on rear deck, on sides from top). Decals by Serbian company Lift Here provided by my friend Zora from Beograd (many thanks!).

Following info on Lift-Here decals leaflet the RYAF exploited one early Wal JI with number 200, and ten JII of late production, with rounded wingtips all. initially they were six J II with G-R Jupiters (numbers 251-256) one with BMW in-line engines (No 257) and three with Hispano-Suiza engines (No 258-260). Just before war Nos 251,252 and 253 were upgrated to much more powerfull HS engines.

Machnes were based on south coast of Yu, namely the Kotor bay, and were used for patrol flights. No machine survived war in April 1941.

She looks like this:

do%20wal%20DSC00770_zpsdfyywvii.jpgdo%20wal%20DSC00771_zpsltfdujxs.jpgdo%20wal%20DSC00772_zps3crf7pun.jpgdo%20wal%20DSC00773_zpsossjcdrt.jpgdo%20wal%20DSC00774_zpsxkdgwjkm.jpgdo%20wal%20DSC00775_zpsmtkqzdge.jpgdo%20wal%20DSC00776_zps6gejtdpd.jpg

And some play with photos...

do%20wal%20DSC00769_zps6lnowuow.jpg

do%20wal%20DSC00768_zps7eaybch0.jpg

Comments welcome

Regards,

Jerzy-Wojtek

Hi J-W

Reading your article I see you have only look on the instructions from the kit and Lift hire decals .

There are fine books covering this particular matter PVKJ. (Pomorsko vazduhoplovstvo Kraljevine Jugoslavije) 

I strongly recommend you book Naval aviation at the eastern coast of the adriatic sea 1918-1941 Volume 1 authors are Vladimir Isaic (+) and Daniel Frka. Next is magazine from year 1990 also good reading and pictures for you.

Link to get them iare hire:

http://www.tkoznazna.hr/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=113

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/aviation-YU-JNA-aero-magazin-dc-6-albatros-sabre-airplane-dornier-/122305676026?hash=item1c79fc82fa:g:BoYAAOSwA3dYQWrI

I like the subject you have choose. Actually you made it fine with some deviations. I have three Wal`s at home. Two HM and one A model.

But I like to give you some advises regarding how to correct this Huma model if you like. 

Regards, Ales

• Like 1

Many thank Ales. I was also using some photos which I found in net. I corrected what I noticed... :) Of course the engines are totally scratchbuild, I alredy noticed, that there should be opening in the top, which I made as flat area. 

I ordered now A-model Wal JI. I am intending to do that one in colours from Spanish War. 

From Royal Yugoslavia WWII machines I have IK2 (totally scratch bulid), Formaplene IK 3, Blenheim Mk I (all those are more than 40 years old now), then Gipsy Moth on floats "Sarejevo" and Do 22 from Egipt.  I have also Croatian Avia B33 and Partisant Fi 167. Perhaps that all so far build. I hope to do soon Breguet 19.8 (RYAF) and in stash I have Do 17K and Avia FL 3.... There are still interesting machines like Rogozarski SIM series - but I do not have them even in stash.

Best regards

Jerzy-Wojtek 

Beautiful build and presentation.

A Dornier Wal is a rare sight even in big forums like BM.

It would be interesting what you say about AModels new Wal.

• Like 1

Congratulations for the great model, it's the first time I see one converted to radial engines. As already said, a Wal is a rare bird an that is a pity, as it is one of the most important flying boats between the wars.

18 hours ago, Ales said:

But I like to give you some advises regarding how to correct this Huma model if you like. 

Regards, Ales

Ales, I am very interested in any information you have to share on the Wal and on correcting the Huma kit. I've been comparing it with photos and it is not so good as I thought previously.

• Like 1