Lancia Delta HF Integrale 1993 Monte Carlo Rally

And so here it is as promised in my Lancer build.

Pic of what I'm starting with:

24953705314_12d87f00d6_c.jpg

For those that haven't followed my Lancer I wont be building the Acropolis Version depicted by the box top. It be Monte car I's a knocking into shape. (Title gives it away a bit ;) )

Although I have a couple other Hasegawa Delta's in the stash this is the first I'll be building. Therefore like with the Lancer i'll leave the suspension till last to gauge wheher the ride height needs lowering. Given Hasegawa's history with these rally kits I'm fully expecting it'll need a couple mm taken out but you never know lol.

There's quite a bit to drill and sand on the body shell. Even had to fill a couple marks after removing the moulded on side indicators.

The body is currently under it's first coat of primer and may even get some white on by tonight.

I assembled and painted the rollcage:

24990175993_83ee3a42b4_c.jpg

I did deliberately miss that small section. After all I did have to hold it somewhere haha.

Next up was removing the moulded on detail from the instrument cluster. Some very creative use of a needle file and sand paper was needed lol. Not the best pic but it's hard to photo lol:

25321279360_4c4dfd5e0c_c.jpg

I've painted the interior tub too:

25249341649_4ab1f34cc9_c.jpg

I have read in an Abarth book written by ex Abarth staff that all the cars they built featured grey interiors, but all the pics I've seen of these cars seem to show them either unpainted or maybe it was a silver/aluminium colour paint :shrug:

So I just went with Humbrols 56 Aluminium lol.

Strangely there were some large recessed parts on the rear spoiler that I haven't seen on the real car so those have been filled:

25590763896_a917625bd6_c.jpg

That's all so far. Thanks for looking.

TTFN Ashley.

• Like 5

Thanks guys. But you might be scared off after this update haha.

So the body came back from the spray booth like this:

25344151450_43aaf43691_c.jpg

25009280694_a5a633d5ae_c.jpg

Then I spent an hour doing this:

25613608486_89a7d0f336_c.jpg

And instantly I remembered why I hate models of Delta's haha. 1 decal and an hour of decalfix, mircosol, blades, toothpicks, cottonbuds and even a hairdryer and while the majority of the decal is on and looks good from a distance, up close it's terrible. I'm hoping now that it's all on the body that once it's dried out a bit I can use microsol and heat to press the joins together better. I might have to invest in Repsol paints to touch up some areas. I think that Zero paints do some hmmm.

The rest is coming along swimmingly lol.

25521106992_0d0da58a99_c.jpg

25639799085_2262ea6b1f_c.jpg

25547123071_ed22b54acb_c.jpg

The rear spoiler has had the filler sanded and is currently under a coat of primer.

I've also started on the dash. Under the black you can just see the remains of the moulded on detail that you have to remove lol

25344149200_2a2cb6bfd1_c.jpg

Oh and I've re-watched the 1993 year review to try to ascertain just when the Delta's started running the side exhausts and thankfully for the Monte Carlo at least they were still running the rear exit system. The only definitive evidence I've found of the side exit was on the Sanremo and then in Catalunya. OCD halted in it's tracks lol.

The decals for this are a long haul so the body might not be making a reappearance for a while lol.

TTFN Ashley.

• Like 5

Yes decaling isn't fun when you have big decals to coax over complex shapes lol. I suppose the upside of carbonizing (is that a word? Lol) is that you can use tape and paper to make templates. Gives you an idea of where problem areas are and you can work in small sections. With this it's all one big decal. I'm thinking of cutting it up into at least 3 peices for the other side and working one set turn at a time.

The dash is the same as all the delta's from hasegawa so the instruments are for either the road or rally 16v's. The 92/93 rally Ingegrale's and evo Road cars use a digital dash. Well I'm presuming the rally ones did too as I have the decals for it included on the Shunko sheet lol. So it's just a decal for that plus a couple other little bits.

That's the next thing I'm working on but I need to try and find a pic of a real one to paint the other detail that Hasegawa tell you to just paint black haha.

Ashley

You fixed the decals on the Lancer fine Ashley, I'm sure you'll do the same here! I hate applying big decals too, so also try & cut them into smaller sections where possible! It's already looking good though!

Keith

• Like 1

Thanks Keith. Looks like I'm gonna have to buy the repsol colours after all.

Cutting the other side into 3 peices has made it worse. Will post some pics later tonight but suffice to say the side pictured is now the best side haha.

I'm dreading the blue slashes over the front wings with those wide arches :(

Ashley

EDIT: Zero paints repsol colours aren't really an option having looked into things. Whilst the do a nice orange the blue they offer is metallic and the blue of these decals isn't. I search online has suggested Tamiya's X-6 to be a match for the orange. And their TS-15 spray looks like it could be a nice match for the blue. I'm going to the Hinckley show this Sunday so I'm hoping a Tamiya vendor will be there. Having no model shops in Leicester anymore is a bit of a bummer lol

Edited by MetroRacing

The original Hasegawa decals are scrap anyway. These are Shunko replacements that came with the kit lol.

TBF the decals respond well to heat but the have to be really hot. Also the Microsol doesn't seem to have an effect. Humbrol's Decalfix seems to work on sticking them down and does soften them slightly and with the hairdryer I've been getting there.

This is how the body sits as of now. Will be getting back to it later tonight.

25286485039_2267915571_c.jpg

The dash is decaled and now awaits detailed painting:

25561389711_b170ed32f2_c.jpg

Shunko actually supply the tyre logos as decals so I haven't had to play silly buggers with the Hasegawa peel and stick ones haha.

25561390341_b28a8514ec_c.jpg

Rear spoiler's painted. Just needs the Repsol logo's adding:

25023538514_307abf79d2_c.jpg

And finally for this update the first layer of 'Kevlar' paint on the sump guard:

25561388741_d8fef96f70_c.jpg

TTFN Ashley.

• Like 3

Not much of an update as I've been out most of the morning but this is last nights progress on the body:

25551422572_4a1fbd5b52_c.jpg

25369297840_0abc79d944_c.jpg

Made I bit more progress on the interior tub.

I decided to paint two of the extinguisher bottles red instead of the suggested silver for some variety:

25551418332_2319ea56da_c.jpg

And I found this pic in my Klein Rally Cars book of the dash for the '92 cars.

The Hasegawa dash is pretty accurate save for the different trip computer:

25369296970_520463bf92_c.jpg

Now the reason I was out this morning:

25369294790_9bb5e32643_c.jpg

25043401903_aeae085bdd_c.jpg

Last night I noticed that the Shunko decals state that for the Acropolis version, which features more blue in the livery; you have to mix the blue for the rear spoiler. Finally a bit of good news. The colours you have to mix are Mr Hobby H65 and H326. I thought to myself "I think I have the H65 one?" So this morning I searched through my Tamiya paint for the limited Mr Hobby paints. And although I didn't have the Solvent based H65, I did have the matching water based Aqueous Hobby Colour H15 and having found my Mr Hobby catalogue I saw that the conversion for H326 is the same H326 lol.

I also looked to see if they did a suitable orange colour and found one in H24. The only place I knew of that sold these paints was eModels in Stoke and so that's where I went. I also picked up the Supposed matches from Tamiya for the red and orange just to be safe, some Pipettes to help proportion the mix of blues and a couple of kits that I need for some transkits I have.

My plan for the body now is to apply all the decals that don't cover parts of the main livery and then give it a clear coat. Then I can sand back any lifted decals or overlapping sections and then touch up with the paint. Another light sanding to blend in the repairs before finishing off the decaling and a final clear coat to seal them in.

Maybe another update tonight but I don't know as I need to help a friend move his Mini shell out of storage lol.

TTFN Ashley.

Edited by MetroRacing
  • Like 2

Good luck with the paint mixing - & moving that Mini shell!! Going to try & get ours started next week, battery went flat before Christmas & I couldn't be bothered to take all the winter covers off her to get at it!

Sounds like a good plan with the decals !

Keith

• Like 1

Thanks I'm going to do some paint test tonight to see what I've got to work with regarding the orange. Hopefully the 7:3 ratio for the blues is accurate.

I just hope the mini holds together. A lot of metal's been cut out and because every time more rot was found it just got left in the end lol. The reason it's being moved is that the place that owns the garage now needs it back. No idea where my friends going to put it as he already has another mini, a Ford Ka, Honda CR-V, Rover 25 and a Skoda Felicia Rally car in full restoration mode haha.

Ashley

• Like 1

Right dash and grill are done:

25603218181_257c16324e_c.jpg

25669755026_293a9fb466_c.jpg

Seats are too. Just waiting for the paint to dry then I'll apply the decals and have a relaxing couple hours making the belts.

25669759666_c0983a407a_c.jpg

My colour tests are dry. I tested Tamiya X-7 along side Humbrol's 19. The others are the paints previously mentioned.

25065398594_6175a4bf04_c.jpg

And along side the body for matching:

25695913355_9e24c77088_c.jpg

I think the Mr Hobby H24 is a better match than the Tamiya for the orange. Unsure which red to use. Still gotta compare that to Tamiya's TS-49 spray.

The blue is close but I think it needs a little more of the dark blue in it. Or less of the lighter one, or both lol.

Finished off all the decals that don't interfere with the main livery colours:

25695912555_486dcc3689_c.jpg

25603213941_587ee3c409_c.jpg

25669753426_f54baaccb8_c.jpg

25669752656_c50bdfa90a_c.jpg

I've used the hairdryer in an attempt to dry out the decals quicker and rid as many bubbles as I can. Still gonna leave it for a day or 2 to be sure before I clear it, though I think that's more to do with my nerves about clearing it and totally messing up what I've done so far lol.

TTFN Ashley.

• Like 2

Haha I have 2 weeks off work so I've been getting 2 major modelling sessions in each day. Still got another week to go so I'm hoping I'll have this done by then.

Tossing around a couple ideas as to what to build next, 'easy' or another challenge lol.

Ashley

Tested out one of Humbrol's washes.

Thought's???

I think I may have overdone it.

TTFN Ashley

Looks nearly as bad as the underneath of our Mini!

Seriously, for the underneath of a rally car, including Monte tarmac in January, I don't think it's overdone. But I'm no expert, I never weather my car models, only aircraft & armour. For some reason I always chicken out of doing it to my cars!

Keith

• Like 1

Looks nearly as bad as the underneath of our Mini!

Seriously, for the underneath of a rally car, including Monte tarmac in January, I don't think it's overdone. But I'm no expert, I never weather my car models, only aircraft & armour. For some reason I always chicken out of doing it to my cars!

Keith

This is the first time I've properly tried to weather one on my cars. I did it to the underside so if I don't like it I could just leave it and it wouldn't be visible lol.

But having to research all these Monte cars I've built resently, I've seen all the dirt that gets thrown up onto them. Even though it's a tarmac event.

I think it's down to the dampness of the road. I may thin down the wash even more and apply it but rub it off to give a hint of the dirt. Like the end of the rally where the cars are hosed down before the finish ramp to make them look presentable.

Ashley

For some reason I never seem to get much modelling time on the weekends lol.

Yesterday I was helping a friend out at a scrapyard. Ended up spending about 3 hrs there haha.

Then today I did go out to the Hinckley show this morning but after driving around for an hour trying to find somewhere to park I gave in and came home and so this update is pretty much what I've done since then.

And the big development is....

25663680061_f8f957b12c_c.jpg

25132163503_d657c5a003_c.jpg

Yep the seatbelts are done HAZZAH!!!

I've started gluing some of the transmission and suspension parts onto the chassis.

25732688606_1151f54803_c.jpg

Some touching up to do on the exhaust and then I'll have another go at weathering.

I've also found my sexy part. That is as I think I need to explain, the 1 part of any kit that I think looks rather tasty ;)

It wasn't anything special to start with but after some paint it's like 'Hello sailor'

25637795592_e20b2e5887_c.jpg

I don't expect anyone else to agree, or find a sexy part in each kit for that matter but I'm crazy for a reason haha.

Got decals on the roof vent, spoiler and wing mirrors.

25458057070_81770f2287_c.jpg

25663673851_73317a486a_c.jpg

The steering wheel decal is proving to be a little terror and down right refuses to conform to the domed centre.

The body will be getting its first coat of clear tomorrow as I'm "really" excited about that lol.

TTFN Ashley.

• Like 1